How Are You Caring For Your Nails During COVID-19?

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2020, 07:37 AM
Default How Are You Caring For Your Nails During COVID-19?

Unfortunately, Nail Salons are not considered essential services, and so they are closed. This creates an emergency for many women who have acrylic nails, or use dipping powder, or other form of nail beauty.

I read that you are not supposed to peel the nails off, and I don't want to soak them in remover as the nail under will be thin. I'm thinking of trimming the tips as they grow, buffing them down slightly on the top, and putting a coat of nail hardener on the whole nail along with a coat of polish.

HOW ARE YOU CARING FOR YOUR NAILS DURING THIS CRISIS?
Old 04-06-2020, 07:53 AM
Platinum member

Just my opinion but I’d soak them off. This is a pain and, you’re correct, your real nails will be thin. Clip them very close and keep them very short. Now you can get your hands clean.

If you leave the acrylic on, you may end up with a fungus problem when water gets in between the acrylic and your real nails. It becomes a health problem but also a hygiene problem.

Removal is a slow process but you’ve got the time. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

We have cut our finger nails as short as we can, after advised they were germ hotspots.
Toenails are six inches long however, and need a bottle of varnish just to cover them!
Old 04-06-2020, 08:04 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
We have cut our finger nails as short as we can, after advised they were germ hotspots.
Toenails are six inches long however, and need a bottle of varnish just to cover them!
I guess this is supposed to be funny.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I guess this is supposed to be funny.
With respect Swimmer, cut him some slack, these trying times are making many of us realize what we have taken for granted all these years. My real concern, and it is a concern is my toe nails. I have always just gone in for a pedi without thinking about it. I am now going to have to ask my husband to cut my toe nails and that is something I am dreading. He will probably approach the job with a pair of wire cutters .... joke. I do know one thing for sure, if my nail shop manages to stay in business, my nail tech is going to get the biggest tip he has ever had because I really, really need him right now. and when my husband gets through butchering my toe nails he is going to have to sort out the damage.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-06-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
With respect Swimmer, cut him some slack, these trying times are making many of us realize what we have taken for granted all these years. My real concern, and it is a concern is my toe nails. I have always just gone in for a pedi without thinking about it. I am now going to have to ask my husband to cut my toe nails and that is something I am dreading. He will probably approach the job with a pair of wire cutters .... joke. I do know one thing for sure, if my nail shop manages to stay in business, my nail tech is going to get the biggest tip he has ever had because I really, really need him right now. and when my husband gets through butchering my toe nails he is going to have to sort out the damage.
That is a real concern for many. I hope you survive with all ten toes. I never thought about the little critters living under false nails either. I am the ONLY person on this earth that doesn't like false nails and long ones that celebrities wear almost make me shiver. Feet start to become farther away from us as we age. sigh.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is a real concern for many. I hope you survive with all ten toes. I never thought about the little critters living under false nails either. I am the ONLY person on this earth that doesn't like false nails and long ones that celebrities wear almost make me shiver. Feet start to become farther away from us as we age. sigh.
You are not alone, never needed false nails. I have really beautiful natural finger nails and I just take care of those myself with a nail board when they get too long. But, oh those toes nails .... either my arms are not long enough or my feet are too far away !

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-06-2020, 03:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You’re not the only one. I used to get them but they always felt so thick and fake. I do like them on other people, though (not those long ones).

Since I swim laps daily—well I used to before all this—I couldn’t have fake nails if I wanted them. My nails aren’t awful looking but they’re always clean and nothing hides under them.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

I file them down and use shea butter to soften my hands and cuticles. Seems to be doing a great job at preventing hangnails, which I've had trouble with most of my life. I clip my own toenails. It's not as easy as it used to be when I was younger but I'm still pretty limber and can contort myself well enough to manage.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Some time ago the nail salon gave me nail fungus - took me a whole year to grow it out, soaked my nails several times every day. Since then I look after my own nails. Pink and healthy and short.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:01 AM

I'd consider myself very lucky if this was my #1 concern given what we are dealing with personally.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
I'd consider myself very lucky if this was my #1 concern given what we are dealing with personally.
Agree and I don’t think it’s anyone’s #1 concern. Clean hands, including nails, are an important part of personal hygiene—now more than ever.
Closed Thread

Tags
nail, nails, coat, caring, tips

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.