"Humane" mouse traps!?!?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2019, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default "Humane" mouse traps!?!?

While browsing I came upon an ad for "humane" mouse traps that keep the mouse/mice alive.

Really?

What does one do with the "humanely" trapped mice?

NO THANX!!!
Old 02-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
While browsing I came upon an ad for "humane" mouse traps that keep the mouse/mice alive.

Really?

NO THANX!!!
BBQ
Old 02-05-2019, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
While browsing I came upon an ad for "humane" mouse traps that keep the mouse/mice alive. What does one do with the "humanely" trapped mice?
We released ours, but make sure to do so at least a mile away or they'll find their way back, apparently.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
We released ours, but make sure to do so at least a mile away or they'll find their way back, apparently.
So they become someone else's problem?
Old 02-05-2019, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Really?

NO THANX!!!
Plus one!
Old 02-05-2019, 08:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
So they become someone else's problem?
While you may not see them, mice (and rats) are everywhere.

They only become a problem when they invade your house. Take the correct precautions to prevent entry and you will not even know that they are out there.

If you are going at least a mile to release caught mice then you may as well head to a wild area rather than someone's front garden.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Default Like many things humaine can cross the line,

Quote:

Really?

NO THANX!!!
As far as mice and rats, they are interesting especially in someone else's home-far away from mine.

People have been trying to destroy rats and mice perhaps a week after eve saw the first one.

A mouse can squeeze through a hole a crack of about 1/4 of an inch. And they typically have litters of about 7 and can do that about every month or two.

Mouse traps-that can be an interesting collection. Tremendous amount of engineering has been used over the centuries. The typical current poison is warpferen same exact stuff commonly used by people with heart issues to thin the blood. It works on rats and mice because they do not have the ability to vomit. So they consume baited food and bleed internally a slow death.
Worse, it makes them seek water and they will chew threw your plumbing to get it.

HUMANE MOUSE TRAPS? For many that means they do not need to deal with disposal of the carcass. Thus, there are glue traps-hum stick the rodent in glue till he starves-humane?

We, far as I know, do not have mice or rats in our villages home.
But, I do have a great deal of experience in a NYC apartment we once lived in. The environmentalists forced buildings to close down their former typical shoot system where each building would burn the trash they collected. The result was a huge growth in rats and mice. I of course complained but we still had plenty of mice. I used the typical spring snap traps. As I recall they were like .50 cents each. I would keep score.
Set three traps get three with the right bait if I got ONLY two out of three two times in a row it was time to research a better bait. Based on experience I had tried bacon-I read somewhere that was the best. Often the mice would nibble off the bacon and not even trip the trap. My RECORD based on experience.
So my QUALIFIED ADVICE. Fourteen traps set, baited with peanut butter got thirteen mice in one night. TRUTH 14 is my lucky number. Thirteen is an unlucky number. I took the thirteen filled traps put them in a snow shovel and knocked on the supers door and dropped them inside his apartment. Oh and I deducted all the traps bacon etc off my rent daring him to come after me for it.

My OPINION and my advice. Far as spring traps. For me, not really a concern for me, but spring traps are more humane then glue, or poison. Done right, it is an instant kill not a lingering death for the rodent.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

It's not humane, but the cheapest and most effective mouse trap is to take a 5 gallon plastic bucket and fill it up about 1/3 of the way with water, throw a couple handfuls of sunflower seeds into the water, then smear some peanut butter all around the inside of the bucked, down about 4 - 5 inches. Then take a piece of wood and make a plank from the ground up to the edge of the bucket. The mice will walk up the plank of death, not be able to resist the food inside the bucket, fall into the bucket, and the rest is mouse history. This simple trap can catch lots and lots of mice in a very short time. I do it every fall up North and catch many mice until the water in the bucket freezes.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
It's not humane, but the cheapest and most effective mouse trap is to take a 5 gallon plastic bucket and fill it up about 1/3 of the way with water, throw a couple handfuls of sunflower seeds into the water, then smear some peanut butter all around the inside of the bucked, down about 4 - 5 inches. Then take a piece of wood and make a plank from the ground up to the edge of the bucket. The mice will walk up the plank of death, not be able to resist the food inside the bucket, fall into the bucket, and the rest is mouse history. This simple trap can catch lots and lots of mice in a very short time. I do it every fall up North and catch many mice until the water in the bucket freezes.
That is funny

Tags
humane, traps, mouse, humanely, mice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.