Hurricane Ida

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2021, 03:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
You realize that would be the state of Florida which is predicted to be back under water one day.

I hope no one is injured also but the USA is constantly funding other natural disasters such as California wildfires and earthquakes, Florida hurricanes, etc. I’m wondering why Louisiana is being singled out as such a liability. Could it be because of the area’s demographics?

"Could it be because of the area’s demographics?"

I think we all know the answer to that. There are a lot of things I personally don't like my taxes used for, but I'm not going to digress and whine about it here - as that isn't the purpose of this thread.

To others, I started the thread out of a genuine concern for FELLOW AMERICANS, so it would be nice to keep it that way. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
To others, I started the thread out of a genuine concern for FELLOW AMERICANS, so it would be nice to keep it that way. Thank you.
Yes. That would be nice.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:10 AM

Not ALL of them has parties and laugh at storms
Old 08-29-2021, 05:41 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debb3c View Post
Not ALL of them has parties and laugh at storms
Now a strong Cat 4. It's guaranteed that there are a LOT of very concerned/afraid people (and NOT just in NOLA itself) - waking up this morning. And to have it on the anniversary of Katrina, is like rubbing salt into the wound. My fingers are crossed that loss of life is minimal.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:49 AM

And where would you suggest they move the port of New Orleans to? A lot of commerce is shipped via that port up and down the Mississippi River and a lot of "those people" work that port. I lived in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina struck - I was fortunate to be able to evacuate out of the city, many who have families that have lived there for generations were not able to as they relied on public transportation. The lower ninth ward had many families that live within the blocks of each other or on the same street - great-grandmother, grandmother, sons, daughters, children, grandchildren, who did not have the means to get out. The whole response was a giant cluster-f**k and many people died. Several parts of the city are still devastated and will never be rebuilt. But, I ask again - where do want the river traffic to go?
Old 08-29-2021, 05:51 AM

Unfortunately, this "ugliness" has been around forever. The Villages is no different than the rest of this country. Fellow americans are only a certain demographic and no better showing of this feeling than on this site. Sorry that your concern was spun to the crude and rude. I, too, hope for the safety of those in the path of Ida.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:05 AM

Threads like this, where people try to twist others posts to fit their narrative, always help me fill my ignore list.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

It’s interesting that insurance companies will pay to rebuild a house located below sea level in New Orleans. But if you live in Monroe County Florida they won’t pay to rebuild your first floor…
I lived in Key Largo for 12 years and if we had flood or storm surge damage to our first floor from a hurricane, we were not covered by our insurance. And FEMA made it clear they had no intention of helping.
Maybe it’s the demographics…
Old 08-29-2021, 07:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Back to Ida info:

Hurricane Ida update: Storm to make landfall Sunday in Louisiana
Old 08-29-2021, 07:42 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
It’s interesting that insurance companies will pay to rebuild a house located below sea level in New Orleans. But if you live in Monroe County Florida they won’t pay to rebuild your first floor…
I lived in Key Largo for 12 years and if we had flood or storm surge damage to our first floor from a hurricane, we were not covered by our insurance. And FEMA made it clear they had no intention of helping.
I ? if it is the demographics. Lived/worked in South Florida as insurance adjuster. Appears you did not have a flood policy. In Florida Keys, most structures are just above sea level and there is not any levee/dam. New Orleans did some major changes to the levees after Katrina in 2004. Glad to see there are code restrictions which require that new housing should be on stilts. We do need to find ways that insurance companies including flood insurance dis continue to allow insurance to be purchased in these areas and I include areas such as fire prone areas in the western states.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I sincerely hope no one in New Orleans gets hurt or has their property damaged. However, if there is major damage, I hope taxpayer money is not again wasted rebuilding infrastructure that is below sea level and frequently in the direct path of hurricanes. When will they learn that they are throwing money away. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.
so to your logic, we should not rebuild California towns after wildfires because they happen every year. And after earthquakes because they have happened and will happen again. What about Florida where you live with sinkholes? So if a sinkhole happens on your property they should not rebuild your house, just tell you move on since sinkholes in Florida happen far more often than hurricanes in Louisiana. What about the flooding along the Ohio and Tennessee rivers that happen every few years and destroy as many if not more homes and property? Your comments are just insensitive/ignorant bull that anyone can say about where someone else lives to make themselves feel like they know better than everybody else
Old 08-29-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Yes. That would be nice.
Unfortunately many people do not do nice except for their own family and friends. Open your circles of concern to your fellow humans.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMM View Post
Unfortunately many people do not do nice except for their own family and friends. Open your circles of concern to your fellow humans.
I agree 100%. There are a lot of selfish people living here.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:12 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Hopefully the mayor of NOLA won't get in his chopper this time and leave thousands stranded by not using buses to transport people out.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
Explain what you really mean when you use “demographics”.

Tags
loss, hurricane, hoping, minimal, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.