Hurricane Maria killed nearly 3,000 American Citizens.

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Unhappy Hurricane Maria killed nearly 3,000 American Citizens.

And yet, this wasn't a...."real tragedy like Katrina?"

Death toll from Hurricane Maria nearly 3,000 in Puerto Rico: Study
Old 08-28-2018, 12:32 PM

Obviously infrastructure there is a huge problem. A few months ago a construction crew was digging and hit a power line, and the power went out on the entire island.

I think most of the money intended for improvement gets stolen by their politicians outright.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yes - out of sight; out of mind
Old 08-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Death toll from Hurricane Maria nearly 3,000 in Puerto Rico: Study
Katrina killed almost 1800 AMERICANS and hell was paid. The President at the time was called some vicious names.

Maria killed 3000 AMERICANS and hardly a peep from anyone any where.

I recall a meme from a group called "We the People for a Conservative Arkansas" praising our government and giving statistics for all the help these FELLOW AMERICANS received.

Turns out the stats and the story was all FALSE.

It is hard to believe that we simply allow this many fellow Americans to die without trying to help them. When our government said that Katrina was a "real" disaster as compared to Katrina and then complained how it was messing up the budget, dont you wonder how those people felt at that moment and since ?
Old 08-28-2018, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
Obviously infrastructure there is a huge problem. A few months ago a construction crew was digging and hit a power line, and the power went out on the entire island.

I think most of the money intended for improvement gets stolen by their politicians outright.
Lots of fraud in New Orleans as well, but for the most part the government aggressively pursued and most punished. I think most of the convictions were police officers
Old 08-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post

There was a huge effort to gather up things people needed by many organizations and churches and synagogues. There was a lot of complaints from the mayor of San Juan about the U.S. not helping. Just this last week many of the supplies sent were found rotting in a parking lot. We all read that when Fema wasn't getting the power grid up, many groups sent electricians over to help, but it still was a long time before things were working. I have been there once for a meeting and stayed in a nice hotel where my daughter's and my credit card numbers were used later. It makes me jump to the conclusion that things aren't run there like most of us are used to.

I could be wrong. I am glad to see that the refugees were welcomed here with open arms and seem to be doing o.k. except for some who are still in hotels paid by Fema.

I have to think that the reason this thread was launched was to talk about someone who is the opposite of a clear speaker who is not articulate and who bumbles around with words, but often gets the job done.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-28-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There was a huge effort to gather up things people needed by many organizations and churches and synagogues. There was a lot of complaints from the mayor of San Juan about the U.S. not helping. Just this last week many of the supplies sent were found rotting in a parking lot. We all read that when Fema wasn't getting the power grid up, many groups sent electricians over to help, but it still was a long time before things were working. I have been there once for a meeting and stayed in a nice hotel where my daughter's and my credit card numbers were used later. It makes me jump to the conclusion that things aren't run there like most of us are used to.

I could be wrong. I am glad to see that the refugees were welcomed here with open arms and seem to be doing o.k. except for some who are still in hotels paid by Fema.

I have to think that the reason this thread was launched was to talk about someone who is the opposite of a clear speaker who is not articulate and who bumbles around with words, but often gets the job done.
I believe the thread was begun because, as far as I know, our government still officially has the death toll as 64, which is absurd.

I also believe that it may have been begun because during the first weeken, we got now news from our government, only tweets on the NFL if you recall

I also believe it was begun because since Maria made landfall, our government has publicly blamed the victims. As you pointed out, there may be shortcomings in PR, but instead of blaming those victims, you would think that people might be shocked at the level of communication. You might think folks would encourage and ask the question as to why the total lack of awareness.

There is, to your addition, a HUGE difference between "poor articulation" and bold faced lying. There is a HUGE difference between "getting the job done" and actually having results other than simply proclaiming it.

Sorry for my rant, but my take on this shocking story was a bit different than yours.
Closed Thread

Tags
real, tragedy, mad, katrina, killed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.