My Wild Life Visitors

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Platinum member
Default My Wild Life Visitors

We have some families visiting this Spring. A pair of Killdeer have decided to nest in the middle of our gravel drive. We have blocked the drive to prevent folks from driving over the nest. We drive around it on the lawn. The Killdeer returned from last year when they nested (or were hatched?) on the side of the drive. I won't provide pictures, we hassle them enough when mowing or driving in/out.

The Precocious Killdeer

Our other family is the Fox family. I had noticed him/her gliding through the hay field in the early morning mist but had no idea they had taken up housekeeping in my top soil mound at the back of the field. The hay was cut Thursday and Saturday morning I saw four kits and an adult cleaning one of them. Watched for a long time (woke up the Mrs. to see) and observed the adult fetching (making hay kills many critters unfortunately) dead rabbit, dead snake and other body parts and taking them to the kits. Clever fox knew the bounty of a newly cut hay field. Hay was baled yesterday and it looks like a carpet over there. This morning the kits were playing and rolling around. No sign of the adult.

The OzFoxes FoxWeb: All About Foxes
Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Platinum member
Default That must be great!

Must be great to watch them grow and frolic. Lucky you!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 05-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Must be great to watch them grow and frolic. Lucky you!
We have seen lots of wildlife from the back porch. The occasional black bear will come through headed to the black berry patch. Deer all the time. I was watching a wild turkey in the distance last Spring when someone shot him It was not yet Gobbler season.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Sage

Get some pic's of your new friends
Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Get some pic's of your new friends
I've got some but of poor quality. The Mrs. picked up some 35mm. She'll get em on the zoom.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum member

Not sure what/why this post, but it'll give me an opportunity to post what I've seen in the way of wildlife!

Pretty sure that a pair of brown thrashers have set up housekeeping in a neighbor's hedge!

Pretty sure that a pair of mockingbirds have set up housekeeping in the same hedge!

There's a pretty good-sized rabbit whom I've seen in the neighborhood!

There were several blackbirds exploring for goodies in the back yard, yesterday!

One day about two months ago, there was a female mallard duck headed towards a near-by "swamp" with at least three ducklings charging along between houses here in Sunset Pointe!

I'm quite certain that, over the nearly eight years I've been here, there are many facility-covered wild-life venues, not the least of which contribute to our lifestyle!

SWR
Old 05-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
Not sure what/why this post, but it'll give me an opportunity to post what I've seen in the way of wildlife!

Pretty sure that a pair of brown thrashers have set up housekeeping in a neighbor's hedge!

Pretty sure that a pair of mockingbirds have set up housekeeping in the same hedge!

There's a pretty good-sized rabbit whom I've seen in the neighborhood!

There were several blackbirds exploring for goodies in the back yard, yesterday!

One day about two months ago, there was a female mallard duck headed towards a near-by "swamp" with at least three ducklings charging along between houses here in Sunset Pointe!

I'm quite certain that, over the nearly eight years I've been here, there are many facility-covered wild-life venues, not the least of which contribute to our lifestyle!

SWR
Sorry for your wildlife withdrawals. Posted on a non TV thread. Some folks are interested, if your not move on. Geez.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.