I did my research and I know this to be true!

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2021, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,898 Times in 913 Posts
Default I did my research and I know this to be true!

found this post on FB from a past colleague who worked in the hospital with CoachK and who is highly educated . . .

“Do your research!!!”
Here’s the thing. Research is a learned skill; it is hard, it is nuanced and complex, and it is true that the majority of people would not even know where to begin or even HOW to do [their own] research.
Research is NOT:
Googling, scrolling your FB newsfeed, or watching YouTube or 4Chan to search for the results you are hoping to find to be “true.” These are called confirmation biases, and are quickly and easily ruled out when doing actual research.
A post credited to Linda Gamble Spadaro, a licensed mental health counselor in Florida, sums this up quite well:
“Please stop saying you researched it.
You didn’t research anything and it is highly probable you don’t know how to do so.
Did you compile a literature review and write abstracts on each article? Or better yet, did you collect a random sample of sources and perform independent probability statistics on the reported results? No?
Did you at least take each article one by one and look into the source (that would be the author, publisher and funder), then critique the writing for logical fallacies, cognitive distortions and plain inaccuracies?
Did you ask yourself why this source might publish these particular results? Did you follow the trail of references and apply the same source of scrutiny to them?
No? Then you didn’t…research anything. You read or watched a video, most likely with little or no objectivity. You came across something in your algorithm manipulated feed, something that jived with your implicit biases and served your confirmation bias, and subconsciously applied your emotional filters and called it proof.”
This doesn’t even go into institutional review boards (IRB’s), also known as independent ethics committees, ethical review boards, or touch on peer-review, or meta-analyses.
To sum it up, a healthy dose of skepticism is/can be a good thing…as long as we are also applying it to those things we wish/think to be true, and not just those things we choose to be skeptical towards, or in denial of.
Most importantly, though, is to apply our best critical thinking skills to ensure we are doing our best to suss out the facts from the fiction, the myths, and outright BS in pseudoscience and politics.
Misinformation is being used as a tool of war and to undermine our public health, and it is up to each of us to fight against it."
Old 08-29-2021, 11:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Well, one requirement that missed is, "Are you qualified to interpret the results". If I am "researching" quantum physics, I am just kidding myself, because I am not qualified, and no amount of "common sense" applied to the subject will help. On the other hand, my wife has a degree in Physics and explains what the papers are saying - which does not good, since I don't understand her either.

So, being qualified is one of the criteria for doing actual research - even if you are only researching the research papers published. understanding 99% of the words, does not mean you understand the topic.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:42 AM

Bottom line, fact check, fact check, and do it again!
Old 08-30-2021, 04:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
found this post on FB from a past colleague who worked in the hospital with CoachK and who is highly educated . . .

“Do your research!!!”
Here’s the thing. Research is a learned skill; it is hard, it is nuanced and complex, and it is true that the majority of people would not even know where to begin or even HOW to do [their own] research.
Research is NOT:
Googling, scrolling your FB newsfeed, or watching YouTube or 4Chan to search for the results you are hoping to find to be “true.” These are called confirmation biases, and are quickly and easily ruled out when doing actual research.
A post credited to Linda Gamble Spadaro, a licensed mental health counselor in Florida, sums this up quite well:
You didn’t research anything and it is highly probable you don’t know how to do so.
Did you compile a literature review and write abstracts on each article? Or better yet, did you collect a random sample of sources and perform independent probability statistics on the reported results? No?
Did you at least take each article one by one and look into the source (that would be the author, publisher and funder), then critique the writing for logical fallacies, cognitive distortions and plain inaccuracies?
Did you ask yourself why this source might publish these particular results? Did you follow the trail of references and apply the same source of scrutiny to them?
No? Then you didn’t…research anything. You read or watched a video, most likely with little or no objectivity. You came across something in your algorithm manipulated feed, something that jived with your implicit biases and served your confirmation bias, and subconsciously applied your emotional filters and called it proof.”
This doesn’t even go into institutional review boards (IRB’s), also known as independent ethics committees, ethical review boards, or touch on peer-review, or meta-analyses.
To sum it up, a healthy dose of skepticism is/can be a good thing…as long as we are also applying it to those things we wish/think to be true, and not just those things we choose to be skeptical towards, or in denial of.
Most importantly, though, is to apply our best critical thinking skills to ensure we are doing our best to suss out the facts from the fiction, the myths, and outright BS in pseudoscience and politics.
Misinformation is being used as a tool of war and to undermine our public health, and it is up to each of us to fight against it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Well, one requirement that missed is, "Are you qualified to interpret the results". If I am "researching" quantum physics, I am just kidding myself, because I am not qualified, and no amount of "common sense" applied to the subject will help. On the other hand, my wife has a degree in Physics and explains what the papers are saying - which does not good, since I don't understand her either.

So, being qualified is one of the criteria for doing actual research - even if you are only researching the research papers published. understanding 99% of the words, does not mean you understand the topic.
Old 08-30-2021, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,083 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:

That's a perfect prescription for surrendering your liberty (and your country) to anyone with a sheepskin.

I don't need to understand quantum physics because it has no bearing on my life.

But when someone with a PhD tells me he's going to confiscate my right to earn a living or educate my children or participate in a secure election "for my own good", and he thinks I'm too stupid to understand his reasons -- that's a whole other thing.

I may not understand the math behind quantum physics, but I understand the basic concepts.

And I may not have a PhD in virology, but I'm perfectly capable of understanding disease death rates, vaccine response, acquired immunity, and the size of a virus compared to the size of the weave of a cloth mask -- not to mention the studies showing how pointless a cloth mask is at stopping the spread of a virus.

And you can be sure, if you tell me you need to crash the economy and pay workers not to work, in order to save them from a disease with a 99.5% survival rate that only kills retired people, I reserve the right to check your facts!
Old 08-30-2021, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

This from the OP pretty much nails it.

You came across something in your algorithm manipulated feed, something that jived with your implicit biases and served your confirmation bias, and subconsciously applied your emotional filters and called it proof.”
Old 08-30-2021, 07:05 AM
Sage

Quote:

So true. The most egregious example of this was about a month ago, when someone posted that they don't listen to the CDC, NIH, WHO, or FDOH----they do "their own research" and then make "their own decision" Well, rotsa ruck with that.

Yep, we should all ignore Fauci, Birx, Walensky and all the experts and just listen to this guy---he did "research"
In fact, why isn't this guy standing at the podium at the White House instead of all the others???
Old 08-30-2021, 07:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
That's a perfect prescription for surrendering your liberty (and your country) to anyone with a sheepskin.

I don't need to understand quantum physics because it has no bearing on my life.

But when someone with a PhD tells me he's going to confiscate my right to earn a living or educate my children or participate in a secure election "for my own good", and he thinks I'm too stupid to understand his reasons -- that's a whole other thing.

I may not understand the math behind quantum physics, but I understand the basic concepts.

And I may not have a PhD in virology, but I'm perfectly capable of understanding disease death rates, vaccine response, acquired immunity, and the size of a virus compared to the size of the weave of a cloth mask -- not to mention the studies showing how pointless a cloth mask is at stopping the spread of a virus.

And you can be sure, if you tell me you need to crash the economy and pay workers not to work, in order to save them from a disease with a 99.5% survival rate that only kills retired people, I reserve the right to check your facts!
Do you mean that a wise, comprehending intellect and common sense have value? What an astute observation and thank you for your contribution!
Old 08-30-2021, 08:02 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post

“Do your research!!!”
Research is NOT:
Another conservative Florida radio host who dubbed himself "Mr. Anti-Vax" and criticized the COVID-19 vaccine died of the coronavirus on Saturday.
Proving Covid 19 Vaccine doesn't work if you refuse to take it POWER TO THE PEOPLE
Old 08-30-2021, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
So true. The most egregious example of this was about a month ago, when someone posted that they don't listen to the CDC, NIH, WHO, or FDOH----they do "their own research" and then make "their own decision" Well, rotsa ruck with that.

Yep, we should all ignore Fauci, Birx, Walensky and all the experts and just listen to this guy---he did "research"
In fact, why isn't this guy standing at the podium at the White House instead of all the others???

Without doing the proper research my guess is his contribution check bounced.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
[/COLOR]

Without doing the proper research my guess is his contribution check bounced.

My guess is that he had no idea of what to research where, so he didn't write that "check" in the first place. (Nor would he listen to a banker with 30 years experience as to how to fill it out correctly---he'd "research" it on his own then fill it out the way HE thought was best). And the sad part is that he has plenty of company.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post

Agreed, allow me to add this:

If you’ve come to the conclusion that the best way to deal with this virus is to control people’s behavior, whether through lockdowns, coerced vaccinations, forced masking, or any other liberty-destroying tactic, you are a petty tyrant and a menace to our country.
“When you realize that to produce, you must obtain the permission from those who do not produce anything; When it is proven that the money flows to those who trade not with goods, but with favors; When you realize that many get rich by bribery and influence rather than by work. When you realize that corruption is rewarded and honesty becomes self-sacrifice; Then you can say, without fear of making mistakes, your society is doomed.”

Ayn Rand
Atlas Shrugged,1957.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:09 AM
Default Some data to think about

Some data to think about:

Japan
Population: 126 million
Coronavirus Cases: 1,454,364
Total Covid Deaths: 15,946
55% of population has at least 1 dose vaccination
44% of population are fully vaccinated

Florida
Population: 22.2 million
Coronavirus Cases: 3,182,726
Total Covid Deaths: 43,979
63% of population has at least 1 dose vaccination
52% of population are fully vaccinated

Japan has almost 6 times the number of people as Florida.
Florida has almost 3 times the number of covid deaths as Japan. So the Florida covid death rate per 1000 people is almost 16 times greater than Japan!

But Japan is substantially behind Florida in vaccinations (44% fully vaccinated in Japan vs 52% in Florida).

Having spent more than 20 years in Asia, I was always somewhat perplexed at the Asian propensity to wear masks everywhere. But if you do some investigation you will find that this started with the 1910 pneumonic plague outbreak in China where it was found that masks was the only effective deterrent at that time. And later in the 1918 flu epidemic masks were again found to reduce transmission.

Mask wearing became "normal" and continued long after those pandemics subsided. So when the covid pandemic began Asian countries already had a long history of using and accepting masks. The Japan data for covid is not so different from other Asian countries.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel200 View Post
Some data to think about:

Japan
Population: 126 million
Coronavirus Cases: 1,454,364
Total Covid Deaths: 15,946
55% of population has at least 1 dose vaccination
44% of population are fully vaccinated

Florida
Population: 22.2 million
Coronavirus Cases: 3,182,726
Total Covid Deaths: 43,979
63% of population has at least 1 dose vaccination
52% of population are fully vaccinated

Japan has almost 6 times the number of people as Florida.
Florida has almost 3 times the number of covid deaths as Japan. So the Florida covid death rate per 1000 people is almost 16 times greater than Japan!

But Japan is substantially behind Florida in vaccinations (44% fully vaccinated in Japan vs 52% in Florida).

Having spent more than 20 years in Asia, I was always somewhat perplexed at the Asian propensity to wear masks everywhere. But if you do some investigation you will find that this started with the 1910 pneumonic plague outbreak in China where it was found that masks was the only effective deterrent at that time. And later in the 1918 flu epidemic masks were again found to reduce transmission.

Mask wearing became "normal" and continued long after those pandemics subsided. So when the covid pandemic began Asian countries already had a long history of using and accepting masks. The Japan data for covid is not so different from other Asian countries.

Excellent, now please provide the vetted statistics of ages and comorbitiy factors and circumstances at the point of death. There is MUCH wrong with the way hospitals in the US were rewarded for reporting a “covid death”.

I agree masks helped control contagion even though they are poo pooed by some here and N95 masks are probably better but complete isolation works the best. Should isolation be mandated?
Old 08-30-2021, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

This is profoundly true, but no one should consider themselves lacking if they are not "math brained". There are so many kinds of splintered mental skills and lack of them. People scoff at "emotional intelligence" but it is real and very needed in many areas of cognition. Some folks are born without the ability to appreciate color and balance such as found in lovely decor and architecture. Some people have excellent memory of details but do not know how to value information..........just as the article from Coach K says.

Nothing really beats common sense and living a long time.....for those of us who are average.

Tags
research, review, results, true, source

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.