I do not recall the rage/anger during spring breaks

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2023, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Student loans were in existence in 1975 and most students figured out how to do spring break on the cheap. 4-5 people in a car, 8+/- in a hotel room, do not buy liquor in a bar, etc.
Drive down on a full bus from NY to Ft. Lauderdale. Too bad the A/C was broken on the way down. I will NEVER forget that trip. Thank goodness we had working A/C on the way home.
Old 03-29-2023, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Yup! We did Lauderdale for Spring break one year (1977 IIRC). Drove down with 5 people... Arrived at dawn and slept on the beach until our room was ready...

Almost got tossed out of the Holiday Inn (above "The Button") for having 11 people in the room... But to be fair, we had a big room (with a sitting area) with 2 queen size beds and a fold out sofa... Nothing get's your attention more than answering the door in your underwear and being greeted by a "badge and a gun"...

It took every "Yes Sir and No Ma'am" I could muster, begging them to let us stay...

The following year, we went camping in the Keys...

We left a few days early, drove to Lauderdale to meet friends. Little did I know, the guy who's "friends" we were supposed to meet had no idea what hotel they were staying in. We had left out tent with the rest of our group, figuring we didn't need it.

He figured "we'd just find them"...

Amazingly we did. We just ran into them on the strip... But they had police outside the hotel and we had to show a key to get in. I waltzed in, like I owned the pace, but my friends panicked... I couldn't leave them, so I left to join them.

It was like a "Mission Impossible" assignment to try to sneak back into the hotel, literally crawling up the outside fire stairwell so the cops wouldn't see us.

When we got to the room, it was wall to wall bodies... I slept on the floor, using my shoes as a pillow... I remember it fondly...
I'm LOVING these stories. Keep them coming! Reliving the good and fun times is so fun.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
Back when you were in college there were no "student loans" that could be spent on anything, ie spring break etc.
No guns either.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:48 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Like comparing a grape to a watermelon.
The grape is is the peaceful folks at the Capital. The violent riots in Portland and elsewhere comprise the watermelon. The incompetent sleaze bag excuse for a cop who murdered Ashli Babbitt should be held accountable, imprisoned for life or hanged.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-29-2023 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The grape is is the peaceful folks at the Capital. The violent riots in Portland and elsewhere comprise the watermelon. The incompetent sleaze bag excuse for a cop who murdered Ashli Babbitt should be held accountable, imprisoned for life or hanged.
Ashli Babbit WAS a criminal a sane person does not break thru a glass LOCKED door it was filmed and it was not a peaceful protest!
Old 03-30-2023, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Posts like this tucker me out.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyb View Post
I think it is more of the thugs mixing in with the college kids causing the problems, than the college kids themselves. Kinda like Antifa mixing in with peaceful protests.
WHAT!?!? thank you for the good laugh.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,961 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyGrandpap View Post
Perhaps it is a sad commentary to see how the next generation has transitioned to the anger and rage during the spring breaks at Miami Beach. Althougth I could never afford to go when I was in college my colleagues who did go talked about the partying, drinking and the beach. Not one word about any violence.
It is sad to see where the local business do not even want the crowd there anymore, as opposed to how they were welcomed in the past.
Scenes on TV are disturbing,
Yes those were the days. Now I think we have had 177 mass shooting and 17 of those were in schools so far this year. No one wants to talk common sense just let’s have more guns.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Yes those were the days. Now I think we have had 177 mass shooting and 17 of those were in schools so far this year. No one wants to talk common sense just let’s have more guns.
They need to approach this from a practical angle. Do what will work. Red flag laws , gun safety courses in schools, mental health community education, more people -to-people connections and less use of computers, etc.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 03-30-2023 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
No guns either.
There were plenty of guns...

High Schools had gun clubs and shooting ranges in the basement...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-30-2023, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
There were plenty of guns...

High Schools had gun clubs and shooting ranges in the basement...
Brought my shotgun to school (left it in the truck) so that I could go deer hunting afterwards.

Those also were the days when you made sure no one saw you screwing around because it mattered that people thought you were a decent human being. Plus, the entire town knew everyone and your parents were certain to find out.

It never would have occurred to any of us to threaten to shoot someone at school - it just wasn't something that you did. Times have changed.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Closed Thread

Tags
beach, sad, breaks, spring, violence

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.