I met a man

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2018, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I spent 20 unglamorous years in AF working 12 shifts, weekend, holiday's overhauling, testing, and fixing jets engines out in the boondocks. Few ever took interest or thanked me for fixing there fighter jet, bomber, cargo hauler, or tanker. I didn't expect it or brag about it, it was my job which had serious consequences for even minor mistake. Then, spent 20 more years second career doing the same thing.

I find that people that Bragg are suspicious to me and who cares any way? Few people I meet know I was in military and what I done. As for seals and other special forces very few who try actually make it. They are big cut above the rest and I doubt true warrior would Bragg about it or let be known.
Thank you for your service, sir. Most of us truly honor all military and retired military including the amazing Seals AND the very important people who could keep airplanes flying.

Someone accused some of us of "fake patriotism" and I am not sure what that is. Kids who went to public school during the forties and fifties were exposed to a lot of love of country and respect for the flag and the anthem. Many of us were in Boy and Girl Scouts or Camp Fire Girls and even in Sunday School we did the pledge of allegiance.

Even today, my husband is very careful the American flag we fly on National holidays NOT touch the ground.

When I was a very little girl in the forties, I remember many signs in neighborhood windows that showed the family living there had lost a son or daughter during the second world war. We lived in German Village in Columbus, Ohio where love of this country was very strong. I love this land to this day and so does everyone in my very large family and all of my friends. My two uncles and my dad returned from the war very changed and always strong in patriotism.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-09-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Irony ? - Aren't you the one with a badge ?
Old 09-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm sure you have already tried googling his name and location.
I find that a persons rank and service is hard to find on google. Maybe a National Security thing?

I hate bragging too, except about grandchildren.

No military person I know has ever bragged. My uncle called that very important award his "good conduct medal".

I think that a few folks move to a new area and kind of rewrite their life story a bit. Some are VERY humble and I have known folks here for years and then discovered amazing things. The first woman navigator in the U.S. Air Force lives here. I found out about it by accident. I asked her what was that like? She laughed and said "I moved here and they were hoping I wouldn't spill the lemonade at the church social".
Old 09-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Gold member

I had a good friend and co-worker who was a Navy Seal (for real) who served in Vietnam and you would never know it from his demeanor. Simply a nice guy, friendly and personable. Not a hard-*** at all. So you really can't judge a book by its cover.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
who claims he was a Navy Seal. I have my doubts. How can I verify this?
The context would be important. Where was this? Just some guy at a Villages' pool or was this at a Veterans' gathering or some other such place?

Many of the vets I have talked to since volunteering at a Veterans' Hospital in Reno, Nevada for a year in 1977-1978 do not like to talk about their service unless it is to other veterans especially if they saw combat.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Ive always been of the opinion that if you feel your life is so boring that you have a need to glorify it, make yourself happy. Your stories and lies will neither help nor hurt me and you’re the one who has to live with knowing the truth. Basically, I feel sorry for those folks. I also feel flattered that they think my opinion of them is so important that they need to look better than they are.

Some people who lie about their past really are good people, just want to look a little bit better than they feel they are. They don’t see that their day-to-day actions show how kind, generous, wonderful they are. So, I don’t worry about their stories. I value them for their ability to make me smile, for their generosity to those around them, for their good heart.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
who claims he was a Navy Seal. I have my doubts. How can I verify this?
Keep asking him work-related questions. If he is lying he will probably end up saying something which you know cannot be correct, or he may become concerned that you will "flush him out" so stop answering your questions.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Ask him to swim across Lake Sumter. If he comes out with a few Pocket Books And Wallets made from fresh hides then he is. If he doesn't come out he wasn't.

Next problem, please.
I love that solution!!!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-09-2018, 09:51 AM
Platinum member

I'll bet he was at Woodstock too.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Go to youtube.com and search 'stolen valor', there are hundreds of videos of people confronting those who claims, uniforms, ribbons don't add up. Usually a few questions about what was your job, where were you stationed, why do you have that ribbon, will trip these guys up right away.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
What difference does it really make?

I come across people all of the time that brag about their previous professional status/accomplishments, that I know darned well they couldn't have/didn't achieve, but since it doesn't affect me...I'm not going to go investigate them regarding their claims.

As to serving in the military, I've also lost track of how many that I've run across who although I know have served in a branch...also claim to have been part of a special unit (Seal/GB/Ranger/Etc.).

I just thank them for their service and know that they're the ones who have to live with their lie(s)...not me.

And as long as they do not violate the Stolen Valor Act and try and claim a special award... "with intent to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit, fraudulently holds himself or herself out to be a recipient of:"...how does it really affect anyone else?

Stolen Valor Act of 2013 - Wikipedia

And if the issue is "I just don't like liars," that's a whole different subject...that we're not allowed to discuss here.
If they lie about that - what else will they (are they already) lie about?

"No I haven't seen anyone suspicious in your yard."
"Yes, the mailman has been coming regularly. Not sure why your box would be empty for a week."
"Sorry to hear you lost your key. I'll keep an eye out for it."
"I really like you, too darling. Let's go away for the weekend."
"I'll pay you back just as soon as the bank opens on Monday."
"I have it on excellent authority that this stock will go up in three days. I've already invested my $2,000. You want in?"

If someone is willing to lie about being in the Armed Services, they are willing to lie about much, much more. And some of it WILL affect you, if you continue to buy into it - or ignore it and pretend it isn't happening.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:24 PM

My cousin brags about him being a Navy Seal
but I thought they were not supposed to make
this public.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

"When you're a liar, a person of low moral fortitude, really any explanation you need to be true can be true. Especially if you're smart enough. You can figure out a way to justify anything."

We see it all the time and it is a very serious character flaw. But, notice how those who have done it for some time can do it so very well.

And then add, a person you just met here....he has the advantage in spinning tales. But, why claim to be a Navy Seal.....

Last edited by Bucco; 09-09-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:37 PM
Sage

SEAL History: The Story of Naval Special Warfare - National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum

Honorable, daring, brave, amazing, Americans.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,177 Times in 834 Posts

Ask him if he had more people at his Seal graduation ceremony than the guy before him. Ask the photographer to verify that the photos haven't been edited to support his lie.

Tags
doubts, verify, navy, man, met

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.