Old 09-25-2017, 10:36 PM
Veteran member

Values are passed down, some parents missed the boat
Old 09-26-2017, 05:35 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
Values are passed down, some parents missed the boat
Once I would have agreed with you but so much is going against "good parents" in today's world. Kids are not only facing peer pressure but today they have more exposure to drugs, etc.

Also consider the affect that teachers once had on students as authority figures. they once were the pillars of a community. Not today and what I am referencing is the reason school choice is such a serious issue with parents.

I went to a catholic grammar school and we all know about the Mother Superior stories. In 6th grade I fell in the playground. It resulted in a deep cut on my arm. I still carry the scar.

I was treated by the nurse and returned to the classroom. I had my sleeves rolled up. Mother Superior hardly glanced up and said OK warrior you can roll down your sleeves now. Teaching humility. Humility is a very attractive quality
Old 09-26-2017, 06:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

What seems to be missing the most today, to me, is pride. Pride in yourself, your accomplishments, your community... Every kid gets a trophy or ribbon, no matter how bad the performance was. Performers get standing O's even if they fall down on stage, hit sour notes, miss the beat, obviously forget a line. How do you feel pride for a job well done when you get praise for a job poorly done? Right along with that is there's little shame. You do something criminal, you get a slap on the wrist. Athletes, entertainers, politicians say and do things that are not just they're downright evil at times. They still get the accolades, the money, the hero worship. Our grands see this on a daily basis. Without pride and shame, a lot of self is lost. Ethics fall to the wayside. Honor gradually becomes none existent. That is what I truly miss from the fifties and I feel is where kids of today are sorely cheated.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
What seems to be missing the most today, to me, is pride. Pride in yourself, your accomplishments, your community... Every kid gets a trophy or ribbon, no matter how bad the performance was. Performers get standing O's even if they fall down on stage, hit sour notes, miss the beat, obviously forget a line. How do you feel pride for a job well done when you get praise for a job poorly done? Right along with that is there's little shame. You do something criminal, you get a slap on the wrist. Athletes, entertainers, politicians say and do things that are not just they're downright evil at times. They still get the accolades, the money, the hero worship. Our grands see this on a daily basis. Without pride and shame, a lot of self is lost. Ethics fall to the wayside. Honor gradually becomes none existent. That is what I truly miss from the fifties and I feel is where kids of today are sorely cheated.
Kids for so long had no track to run on. too many helicopter parents. too many teachers pushing the social warrior agenda rather than the cold hard facts taught to us by history, the classics, etc

Heroes today do not exist they are all anti-hero Bad is good and good is laughed at. Only a nerd doesn't do drugs. only a nerd believes in being responsible as to the issue of sexual relations. Hollywood's message is very damaging to our society . secularism is kool religion for the naive .

I submit that if people did nothing else but follow the tenets of the 10 Commandments we would have a better nation. and yet here we are with people demanding these intelligent rules be moved from public institutions

Personal Best Regards:
Old 09-28-2017, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Sometime we just need a break from today's political climate and I one way is to tune in old movies .

I watched Jennifer Jones in "Good Morning Miss Dove" It presented an idyllic America. I recognize that the 1950's had its problems but this movie represented pretty much the America I remember.

Miss Dove, an elementary teacher made demands on her students both stoic and scholastic and she reciprocated by taking a personal interest in each of her students.

Traditional values were apparent had work, self discipline, self respect, respect for authority, respect for others , calculated reticence , honor.

Personal Best Regards:
Good post, friend. I was young in the 50's, and maybe that is why I did not notice any hardship. It seems like there was so much anger during the 60's and now it's like it is flaring up again in the past few years.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

In the 50's you could believe the news we heard. Thank you Walter!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:52 AM
Email Reported As Spam

My friends all one has to do is take a look at the childish undisciplined, disrespectful, immoralistic, selfish and boorish behavior of some people in this nation and their demands not based on merit but entitlement; coupled with their demands for publicity of their emotionally induced grievances and one concldes quickly to the fact that 1950's traditional values are sorely missed.

To exacerbate this dilemma idiot political leaders who acquiesce, rather than lead which just perpetuates the situation. Leaders with no backbone

Personally I have no regrets of my aging years because in my view I had the benefit of growing up in the 1950's and learning about life from members of the greatest generation. People that understood the realities of life and the action one must take to remain resilient .

Personal Best Regards:
Old 09-29-2017, 03:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I remember the fifties a lot differently -- it was a time of great fear because of the A-bomb. Women rarely worked outside of the home and, if they did, it was usually in a subservient role. Even professional women were pushed into the lesser roles (attorneys for estate planning, trusts, family law; physicians were ob-gyns) most of the time. It was okay for a male to have pre-marital sex and extra-curricular marital affairs were to be bragged about. A female was shamed. Minorities were kept in their place, separate but equal was the way of life, lynchings were common. It was acceptable to beat your wife so long as the stick was no bigger than the width of your thumb. Not only could parents spank their children, so could your neighbor or the principal and some of those spankings were flat out beatings. Sexual abuse was common and the girl was nearly always at fault, even if only ten. Miscegenation was a crime. So was homosexuality. And so on and so forth. The fifties were a time of violence, fear, cruelty and bigotry.

A lot of the values such as hard work, honesty, respect, trust are still prevalent today. Yes, the language is rougher today, chivalry towards females is gone, some of the niceties have disappeared. Even so, I'll take today's world. It's a lot more honest and, in many ways, kinder.
Was born in 1938 to white Anglo middle class family living in pleasant area of Baltimore. Comfortable, and largely ignorant of the real trauma suffered by the actual majority of humans. Lived in a cocoon and oblivious to the needs of those who did not share the "idyllic" life.
Redwitch has it about right IMHO.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I remember the fifties a lot differently -- it was a time of great fear because of the A-bomb. Women rarely worked outside of the home and, if they did, it was usually in a subservient role. Even professional women were pushed into the lesser roles (attorneys for estate planning, trusts, family law; physicians were ob-gyns) most of the time. It was okay for a male to have pre-marital sex and extra-curricular marital affairs were to be bragged about. A female was shamed. Minorities were kept in their place, separate but equal was the way of life, lynchings were common. It was acceptable to beat your wife so long as the stick was no bigger than the width of your thumb. Not only could parents spank their children, so could your neighbor or the principal and some of those spankings were flat out beatings. Sexual abuse was common and the girl was nearly always at fault, even if only ten. Miscegenation was a crime. So was homosexuality. And so on and so forth. The fifties were a time of violence, fear, cruelty and bigotry.

A lot of the values such as hard work, honesty, respect, trust are still prevalent today. Yes, the language is rougher today, chivalry towards females is gone, some of the niceties have disappeared. Even so, I'll take today's world. It's a lot more honest and, in many ways, kinder.
I agree.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Was born in 1938 to white Anglo middle class family living in pleasant area of Baltimore. Comfortable, and largely ignorant of the real trauma suffered by the actual majority of humans. Lived in a cocoon and oblivious to the needs of those who did not share the "idyllic" life.
A lot of us didn't live in a cocoon, and I certainly didn't.
But because of that, I was able to get a pretty broad
picture of the world around me.
It was hard to be oblivious in the area of Chicago I grew up in!
Old 09-29-2017, 07:47 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
A lot of us didn't live in a cocoon, and I certainly didn't.
But because of that, I was able to get a pretty broad
picture of the world around me.
It was hard to be oblivious in the area of Chicago I grew up in!
With Chicago’s murders hitting over 750 last year those were still the good old days. I no longer go up there. Our central Il towns have a murder every few weeks now. There is always a Chicago drug connection.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 09-30-2017, 05:33 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Fear of the A bomb yes but belief in America's power to defend itself and keep people from harm prevalent.
People were more religious and more morally inclined . for instance movie producers agreed to promote decency ratings. I recall that "Gone With The Wind" created a kerfuffle because Bret Butler dare use the word "dam"

Marriage was sacred then, Honor, respect decency, and the idea that children ought to be treated as a protected species was also prevalent but not to the point of spoiling them.

The world has always been imperfect and it was far fro perfect in the 1950's but I would no hesitate one New York to recapture its traditional values and attitude toward life. if it did college kids would not be looking for safe spaces nor would we have the tail wagging the dog in our universities. And everyone would be standing for the national anthem because of their love of country

Personal Best Regards:
Old 10-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,062 Times in 531 Posts

The fifties were great, if you were a white male in the USA. Not so much for women and minorities.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Things were certainly more civilized and proper in the 1950's. The schools were better and safer. People were civil. We have lost a lot. Our society has become coarse and divisive. Except for medical and other scientific advances it seems mostly for the worse.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-03-2017, 04:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
The fifties were great, if you were a white male in the USA. Not so much for women and minorities.
Agree with you. The adult study group at my church is discussing Dr. Martin Luther King's "Letter From The Birmingham Jail" written a few years after the 1950's. This should be required reading for high school students. For some groups, the 1950's were a great decade, for other groups not so much.

Tags
respect, miss, students, personal, america

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.