Identity Theft

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2017, 09:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Identity Theft

Our accounting firm WallTitus in Lakeland, Florida was hacked over Christmas. Since that time, we had someone file an income tax return using our social security numbers, open a new credit card in our name and submit a chance of address with the post office forwarding our mail.

Probably most of you know and do these things, but we didn't. I would like to share some must do's. This is my way of turning my frown upside down!

Freeze your credit with all three credit bureaus. It could cost about $10 each, but well worth it. You can use your existing credit cards as before. It prevents new cards from being issued.

Set up alerts on all credit cards so you receive an alert every time your card is used.

Set up alerts on your bank statements.

Because our bad guys put in a change of address to forward our mail to a different address, I am now recommending all credit card and bank statements, power and telephone bills, etc. be set up for electronic delivery. According to a notification received last week from WallTitus, a number of their clients had holds and address changes fraudulently submitted to the Post Office.

Be diligent and look at your accounts daily or every few days. You have to be your own advocate.

Look up the Florida Attorney Generals website. Search Identity Theft. Search window is right under Pam Bondi's picture. The website provides a step by step how to protect yourself, websites and telephone numbers.

Be safe!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Thank you so very much for posting this information. Very helpful to us all.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Our accounting firm WallTitus in Lakeland, Florida was hacked over Christmas. Since that time, we had someone file an income tax return using our social security numbers, open a new credit card in our name and submit a chance of address with the post office forwarding our mail.

Probably most of you know and do these things, but we didn't. I would like to share some must do's. This is my way of turning my frown upside down!

Freeze your credit with all three credit bureaus. It could cost about $10 each, but well worth it. You can use your existing credit cards as before. It prevents new cards from being issued.

Set up alerts on all credit cards so you receive an alert every time your card is used.

Set up alerts on your bank statements.

Because our bad guys put in a change of address to forward our mail to a different address, I am now recommending all credit card and bank statements, power and telephone bills, etc. be set up for electronic delivery. According to a notification received last week from WallTitus, a number of their clients had holds and address changes fraudulently submitted to the Post Office.

Be diligent and look at your accounts daily or every few days. You have to be your own advocate.

Look up the Florida Attorney Generals website. Search Identity Theft. Search window is right under Pam Bondi's picture. The website provides a step by step how to protect yourself, websites and telephone numbers.

Be safe!
Thank you for the post.
The IRS does have a procedure that you can get a second form of identification for future filings.

I think the credit freeze is free if you were hacked and also over 65. Anyone know for sure?

Address change I never though of. This is a problem. I like getting the mail for several reasons. First when you die on line access might be a very big problem. Executor will have an easier time if mail is still coming. Second, you might have internet problems and miss and email.

When I put my mail on hold (using the internet) I get a confirmation email from the PO. Guess the PO could start collecting email addresses to notify us if our address is changed. Cost would problem be a big consideration.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Thank you for the post.
The IRS does have a procedure that you can get a second form of identification for future filings.

I think the credit freeze is free if you were hacked and also over 65. Anyone know for sure?

Address change I never though of. This is a problem. I like getting the mail for several reasons. First when you die on line access might be a very big problem. Executor will have an easier time if mail is still coming. Second, you might have internet problems and miss and email.

When I put my mail on hold (using the internet) I get a confirmation email from the PO. Guess the PO could start collecting email addresses to notify us if our address is changed. Cost would problem be a big consideration.
I hate the mail issue. Threw me for a complete loop.

We did receive a letter from the PO confirming we had requested a change of address. That is how we knew. The PO told us any time there is a change in the amount of mail or you don't get mail for two days, run don't walk to the PO, which is the one in Lady Lake.

Don't know about free if 65, but it is free if you are a victim.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Sage

Villager Joyce, I am really sorry about the identity theft you are going through. Thank you for the tips - very useful information.

A few years ago someone got my debit card number (I never lost the card), must have made a duplicate card and made a $300 purchase at a sporting goods store about 40 miles from my home. Fortunately I caught it right away, but it was a minor hassle with my bank.

These low-life scum who mess up honest people's lives like this...hope there is a special place in hell for them.

Tags
credit, address, cards, card, set

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.