If you lived in Paris...

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2015, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

How about if you lived in Nigeria? As many as 2000 women, children, and elderly were just slaughtered by the Islamist militants Boko Harum. To look at the criticism about the President attending or not attending an event seems so petty in comparison.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
How about if you lived in Nigeria? As many as 2000 women, children, and elderly were just slaughtered by the Islamist militants Boko Harum. To look at the criticism about the President attending or not attending an event seems so petty in comparison.
On the flip side of that, I doubt the heads of state who are in attendance and showing solidarity against the terrorism think it is "so petty" to be where they are.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Very interesting article, but there is not one word in there that states that it was a last minute arrangement or a "pivot on a dime" to use your words. And what does this fund raiser possibly have to do with what is going on in Paris right now?

Anyone can get to here from there in this world today if they want to get from here to there and they have the price of a ticket.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Anyone can get to here from there in this world today if they want to get from here to there and they have the price of a ticket.
Maybe they can fly stand-by on Air Force One.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Anybody that knows anything knows that a US presidential visit requires weeks, sometimes months, of planning and can be very disruptive to a city or country. Instead of attending today's gathering of world leaders, President Obama has announced a summit will be held in DC on February 18. Paris is just too unsafe at this time. Attorney General Eric Holder is attending as the representative of the US. Make of it what you will.
I DO NOT CRITICIZE THE PRESIDENT FOR NOT BEING THERE AT ALL IN ANYWAY

I do, however, find your reasoning to be so very very shallow. The Chancellor of Germany requires just as much security and planning as do almost all of those in attendance.

This and so many other situations that he has made time for with less notice and much less importance.

As I said, I am only commenting because of your lame excuse. I do not think anything plus or minus about his not attending...schedule, whatever, but the excuse you offer is just lame
Old 01-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Not to worry...nobody cares much.

I posted on here about the slaughter of CHILDREN in the streets of Syria about 1..1/2 years ago and got zero response and not many reads even. That slaughter of those children, unmentioned for the most part by the USA was one of the worst episodes I can recall.

I mean, shooting down kids in the street and so much more ignored ???

You have to hit the media cycle and political temperature just right for anyone to care
Old 01-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
I DO NOT CRITICIZE THE PRESIDENT FOR NOT BEING THERE AT ALL IN ANYWAY
I do, however, find your reasoning to be so very very shallow. The Chancellor of Germany requires just as much security and planning as do almost all of those in attendance.
Let's see. Same continent with a common border. Different continent with an ocean between.
Yeah, same thing.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Let's see. Same continent with a common border. Different continent with an ocean between.
Yeah, same thing.
Somebody always has to visit the p....... of everything.

I responded to this...

"Anybody that knows anything knows that a US presidential visit requires weeks, sometimes months, of planning and can be very disruptive to a city or country."

There is no defense necessary which is what I find rather amusing. I said very very clearly that I do not criticize anyone on this....just the lame excuse given (which had nothing to with oceans, etc.)

I am always amazed how things like this are made to be in the arena we are not supposed to go with.....
Old 01-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Sage

I need in conversation support.
je suise charlie----i am charlie is what many are saying.
i know there was a movement or a movie where people stood up one by one and said
"I am so & so". I can't remember the movie or the event. I do remember that the message was effective.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I need in conversation support.
je suise charlie----i am charlie is what many are saying.
i know there was a movement or a movie where people stood up one by one and said
"I am so & so". I can't remember the movie or the event. I do remember that the message was effective.
It was at the ending of the slave rebelion in the movie "Spartacus". Unable to determine which slave was really Spartacus (Kirk Douglas), the Romans just crucified all of them.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
It was at the ending of the slave rebelion in the movie "Spartacus". Unable to determine which slave was really Spartacus (Kirk Douglas), the Romans just crucified all of them.
you have a good memory. i thought it would have been from something more current. thank-you
Old 01-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Sage

According to Attorney General Holder there is now a credible threat from Isis against people in this country in government, media, individuals.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Anybody that knows anything knows that a US presidential visit requires weeks, sometimes months, of planning and can be very disruptive to a city or country. Instead of attending today's gathering of world leaders, President Obama has announced a summit will be held in DC on February 18. Paris is just too unsafe at this time. Attorney General Eric Holder is attending as the representative of the US. Make of it what you will.
I must correct you !!!

Attorney General Holder DID NOT ATTEND today. He was in Paris and LEFT TOWN before the march.

I said I did not criticize the President for not being there, but our lone representative for this major event was the ambassador and that is it. Holder WAS NOT THERE...HE LEFT TOWN

Major faux pax I would say
Old 01-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
I must correct you !!!

Attorney General Holder DID NOT ATTEND today. He was in Paris and LEFT TOWN before the march.

I said I did not criticize the President for not being there, but our lone representative for this major event was the ambassador and that is it. Holder WAS NOT THERE...HE LEFT TOWN

Major faux pax I would say
You are correct - on all counts.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Sage

I thought it was very moving to see so many world leaders link arms and lead the march. It will be a photograph in history books in times to come.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.