If you want to sell your home, you have to be nice.

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Sage
Default If you want to sell your home, you have to be nice.

Recently, I had listed my house for sale and it has since sold..in five weeks. However, I continue to get calls and there was a person in particular who I thought I would help out as he doesn't live in TV. I knew about a house that was a possibility because it was on the FSBO site the same time as I listed and it has since reduced the price. I called to the owner and explained I was calling for a friend who is not in TV. I was told, "we don't do friends of friends. You can go down the block and there are other houses you can look at." I was quite taken aback. I explained that I had recently sold my house and was trying to help someone who had been interested. I said that it appeared in the photos there was maybe a road behind the golf course because the view is what is important to the potential buyer. He said in a most irritated voice, "If there is a road, this isn't the house for you." Oddly enough, I had suggested this house to someone else before.
Recently there was a thread about the pros and cons of FSBO versus a realtor. I am a huge fan of selling without a realtor. That said, you have to be cordial to people because you never know who will be the buyer or which person will speak to which person about your house. My house did sell through a recommendation on TOTV from one person to another who was not on TOTV so I am very pleased with this site as a place to advertise your FSBO. But if you don't have the temperament to go through lots of disappointments or people who may not be as thrilled about your particular home after seeing it, you really need to get a realtor who will always be charming and inviting. That's my 2 cents on the subject.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

We have sold two homes in TV ourselves. It's not that complicated---a good Title Company (advantage on 466 for example) and they will walk you through the process and provide all the forms and paperwork. The key is pricing it right---a must! Second is "staging"---a must if you want to sell quickly and at a fair price.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Sage

Grump buckets should never try FSBO.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Grump buckets should never try FSBO.
That's an absolute truth.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Sage

I'm selling FSBO right now and have had only one grump bucket so far. He ran around the house like he was on fire. When he was done he seemed to be the most interested of anyone so far. You do pretty much have to try to smile at all costs with some of these people.

Today I went and looked at a FSBO. I had a creepy feeling going into the house and the guy was a little strange. The more I looked around I saw bugs crawling everywhere. Ants and other kinds. I actually got bit on the foot while there.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Sage

FSBO is definitely not for everyone. I think the man I called must be frustrated that he has not sold and has lowered his price. But that is all the more reason, he needs to either get more inviting or get a realtor.
And looking for a FSBO has its own excitement as jnieman can attest.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Email Reported As Spam

For sale by owner seems complex and it seems that it can lead to unintentional consequences? Beside eliminating a realtor what else can an owner eliminate by not using a realtor? How does the owner market price his/her home? what are the legal/ financial implications?

An owner could have the ability to sell two milking machines to a farmer that owns one cow but boy I do not know that I would want to be on either end of that agreement???????????????????????????????????????
Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I'm selling FSBO right now and have had only one grump bucket so far. He ran around the house like he was on fire. When he was done he seemed to be the most interested of anyone so far. You do pretty much have to try to smile at all costs with some of these people.

Today I went and looked at a FSBO. I had a creepy feeling going into the house and the guy was a little strange. The more I looked around I saw bugs crawling everywhere. Ants and other kinds. I actually got bit on the foot while there.

Holy smokes. Can you imagine what was in the house that you couldn't see?
Old 08-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Sage

It really isn't that difficult to price your house. If you go to open houses and you can be realistic about how your own house stacks up, you can come up with an attractive price. If you can't be realistic, take a friend with you who can be honest. I think pricing it slightly below market is always smart.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Holy smokes. Can you imagine what was in the house that you couldn't see?
Yes, that's scary. The house was smelly too. I coudn't get out of there fast enough. He followed me out the front door and down the sidewalk.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
For sale by owner seems complex and it seems that it can lead to unintentional consequences? Beside eliminating a realtor what else can an owner eliminate by not using a realtor? How does the owner market price his/her home? what are the legal/ financial implications?

An owner could have the ability to sell two milking machines to a farmer that owns one cow but boy I do not know that I would want to be on either end of that agreement???????????????????????????????????????
We've sold by owner twice, both in down markets. It isn't that hard. You have to do your homework for pricing. Get your own comps.

There are companies who will rent you a sign and list your property on their sight. For an additional fee, you can have it put on MLS (do it!)

You can hire a closing company (with attorneys if you're so inclined).

You just become the Realtor, with the professionalism the Realtor brings, and sub out the rest.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:49 PM

I sold one our houses FSBO a few years back. The house was in a very desirable area so finding a buyer wasn't hard. We hired a closing company and things went very smooth.
Off subject but funny. When I was buying this home there was a lady that was determined to buy the home but was low balling the seller and lost it to my wife and I. A few years later when I was being transferred and put the house up for sale the lady showed up and said this time she wasn't losing the home . I gave her the price which wad $15000.00 more than I paid a few years earlier . She was appalled and said she would pay me what I paid and that was it. I told her my price was firm and below market value for the area. The landscaper showed up and said I didn't know you were selling. He paid the asking price and it was done. The original lady ripped me a new one for selling the house to someone else. She was so nasty I would have sold for less just so I didn't have to deal with her.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:08 PM
Default Great Story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Years View Post
I sold one our houses FSBO a few years back. The house was in a very desirable area so finding a buyer wasn't hard. We hired a closing company and things went very smooth.
Off subject but funny. When I was buying this home there was a lady that was determined to buy the home but was low balling the seller and lost it to my wife and I. A few years later when I was being transferred and put the house up for sale the lady showed up and said this time she wasn't losing the home . I gave her the price which wad $15000.00 more than I paid a few years earlier . She was appalled and said she would pay me what I paid and that was it. I told her my price was firm and below market value for the area. The landscaper showed up and said I didn't know you were selling. He paid the asking price and it was done. The original lady ripped me a new one for selling the house to someone else. She was so nasty I would have sold for less just so I didn't have to deal with her.
Wasn't that fun! Hilarious after she said she wasn't going to lose it the second time around.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:17 PM

We FSBO'd in a bad market before our move to TV. A guy cutting grass next door came over and said he'd heard we wanted to sell and we said, yes we were. He said he was sure his brother would want to buy it and we said, great. After he left I'm ashamed to say we kind snickered about the chances. His brother came over and bought the house.
But wait. That's not all. The grass-cutter bought our John Deere and cut the 2-lot- lawn for us till his brother took possession. So yes, OP. It pays to be courteous to everyone.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Sage

We did an FSBO in New Jersey. With 3 kids and no pets we needed a bigger house. A very serious, snobby, straight laced woman woman from NYC was looking over the house and asked if I had a dog. I said no, and to be funny I added, "I didn't want anything in the house that did't look like me." Instantaneously, she said "I can find a dog that looks like you.".

That's pretty funny.

I'll bet she could too. She didn't buy the house, and I guess I would have felt bad for the neighbors if she did.
Closed Thread

Tags
house, person, recently, fsbo, realtor, sell, road, site, buyer, friends, people, totv, explained, listed, sold, home, selling, cordial, charming, thread, voice, pros, cons, huge, inviting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.