If you or yours are flying ALLEGIANT AIR>>

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post

There are other sources to research on your own. Watching an edited report on a commercial news outlet and adjusting your life around that 10 minute segment seems illogical to me. It should stimulate personal investigation and not taken as definitive. Then of course there is the conspiracy theory . We will continue to fly Allegiant.
So I guess what your saying is that people should , at least, attempt to verify information before acting. What a radical idea. !!!
Old 04-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Gold member

Have flown Allegiant numerous times years ago. I also have followed news reports from a variety of sources over the past few years, including numerous local evening news reports when problem issues arose. I thus came to my not to fly Allegiant decision based on dozens of reported issues over the years, plus my knowing that they have been using much older aircraft than other carriers I could choose. The 60 minutes exposay did nothing to furthur my distrust of Allegiant. I am not a big fan of large government agencies properly solving issues they are charged to evaluate. The IRS, VA, EPA, just to name a few have had gross inefficiencies in recent years so when I am in a “missle” at 30,000 feet, my decision to totally trust the FAA’s investigative responsibilities falls short of complete trust. Most importantly do your own research with the numerous tools at your disposal, then make an “as informed” decision that gives you the comfort level necessary.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:24 PM
fw102807

They are probably going to be the safest airline for a while.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Neither us, or my son and daughter and their families will ever fly Allegiant again.

Equipment failure and falling out of the sky rarely kills you, it’s that sudden stop that gets you.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:50 AM

Not to take up for the company, but they may be turning the corner. The FAA said that Allegiant’s reported incident rate has trended downward in recent years. Allegiant reported 0.0029 events per 1,000 departures in 2017. It is clear they had maintenance problems in 2015/2016. A lot of this is due to aging MD-80 aircraft which they seemed to have trouble repairing. This should be directed toward poor performance of the contracted maintenance company they poorly managed. Delta actually flies four times as many ancient MD-80s and -90s. Just FYI, the aircraft with the most fatal accidents is the 737 with more than 59 fatal crashes. This is compared to only 15 with the MD-80 series. While this seems shocking, you have to remember there were millions of safe flights. Allegiant has also recorded a huge number of safe flights and the current data shows they should continue with safe flights.

Just FYI, the airlines with largest number of fatalities from 2000 to 2014: Malaysia Air with 537, American 416, Air France 337. Southwest and Allegiant have had no fatalities. Both are discount carriers.

Allegiant is paying for the bad press. Their stock took a dive. As to whether you should fly them? Like buying a car, you should review the facts and make a decision. Remember the Corvair, Pinto and other cars that were sold and killed many people. Both Ford and Chevy recovered. Perhaps Allegiant will get a chance. We all need to be informed and not just listen to the media. The data is available.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
So I guess what your saying is that people should , at least, attempt to verify information before acting. What a radical idea. !!!
In this current era...that's downright blasphemous!

Facts are facts.

How one attempts to 'spin' those facts, or determine how those facts came into existence...is up to them.

But it still remains, facts are facts and there is no such thing as...'alternative facts.'

We flew once, and only once, on an Allegiant Air charter to Tunica.

On the return, we waited 5 hours for them to send another plane because the one sitting on the tarmac..."had mechanical issues."

After reading and seeing the 'facts' of Allegiant...never again.
Closed Thread

Tags
allegiant, air, research, watch, findings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.