If you or yours are flying ALLEGIANT AIR>>

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

I have flown on the airline in question. Kind of gaggle (fill in the blank) seems like that have one crew that load baggage and egress the plane from the gate at Stanford ( I sure hope the don't short change the maintenance?) So, usually takes up to 40 mins just to clear the gate. IMO the air line in guestion no different that an other airline that don't fly to big hubs or cities. Low budget, some old planes, and newer ones with lots of flying hours IMO. They survive by flying directly to smaller cities with lower rates. The problem usually with most airlines you stop at several airports hubs to finely get to were you're going with usually eats up most of the day for 4 hours flight. Good example, first time we came down here flew SW went to three airports zig zagging with 2 hours or more layover. Too 6 plus hours for hour and half flight. Ever time plane takes off and lands there risk for something bad to happen, even out of control of the pilot, FAA, or the airline. US air lines flight 1549 good example of what can go wrong when everthing else is prefect.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
You may believe that 60 Minutes offers biased reports. However the Tampa Bay newspaper reported much the same information, as did the Orlando Sentinel.
Thousands of people flew Allegiant thinking their planes wouldn’t fail. They were wrong. | investigations | Tampa Bay Times

Records detail Allegiant flight incidents - Orlando Sentinel

Incidents for airline Allegiant | AeroInside

There is, I believe an FAA site that documents all sorts of in-air incidents, but I can’t find it right now.
As Bjeanj says, 60 Minutes is not the first to report safety issues with Allegiant.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 AM

Thank you!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

"Caveat Emptor"
Old 04-16-2018, 09:46 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Buyer Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
"Caveat Emptor"
Yes, Buyer Beware.....
Old 04-16-2018, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
As Bjeanj says, 60 Minutes is not the first to report safety issues with Allegiant.
Yep.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't believe anything they say on 60 Minutes. It is one of the most slanted and biased shows on television. All they care about is ratings.
Nonsense.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

“60 Minutes”, The oldest and most watched newsmagazine on television originating in 1968. Some call it the most successful broadcast show in the history of Television. Are they always right? IMHO, of course not, nobody is right all the time, but they are known to do an outstanding job exposing problems and issues or they wouldn’t be the most watched newsmagazine on television.

How many posting here have had experence with Allegiant? We have. About four years ago, we were flying from Las Vegas to Peoria, IL. Arriving at the airport at 5:30 am our first flight was delayed and then cancelled due to mechanical problems. We then were moved to a different gate and finally boarded a different Allegiant plane for our flight to Peoria around 1:00 or so. A little over an hour into our flight the captain came on speaker “we have a mechanical problem with this aircraft and been advised to return to Las Vegas” as the plane was obviously making a turn back toward the western horizon. After returning to the airport, we were advised to go to a different gate where we waited until a third Allegiant plane pulled up and we boarded a third time for Peoria. As I remember it was around 10:00 pm when we finally landed in Peoria. By this time we had lost several passengers who I suppose took another airline or maybe just decided it was safer to drive...... Allegiant is a low cost discount airline flying mostly to the smaller mid-size cities and they do provide a good service to these cities. Allegiant is very profitable. No doubt in my mind that sometimes they push the safety envelope in order to save money and cut costs. 60 minutes did offer to give Allegiant air time to give their side of the story but they declined. No doubt Allegiant and the FAA can do better and it’s investigating reporting by media outlets like 60 minutes that helps to see that they are kept “Honest” and do their jobs to protect the safety of the public.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
You may believe that 60 Minutes offers biased reports. However the Tampa Bay newspaper reported much the same information, as did the Orlando Sentinel.
Thousands of people flew Allegiant thinking their planes wouldn’t fail. They were wrong. | investigations | Tampa Bay Times

Records detail Allegiant flight incidents - Orlando Sentinel

Incidents for airline Allegiant | AeroInside

There is, I believe an FAA site that documents all sorts of in-air incidents, but I can’t find it right now.
I guess they are all lying....................
Why would these paper spend all that time and money to provide info for people to make their own decisions?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Gold member

Flew many times out of SAV and PIE to Newark and Newburg/ Stewart. About 6-7 round trips thus far. Never had an incident. No charge for up to 3 bags and a carry on as well as no charge for seats and priority boarding for our Veterans. Seats are a little cramped but other than that I have had good experiences with Allegiant. Love how convenient it is flying out of PIE where I can park long or short term and walk from parking lot to terminal. A Gem compared to Orlando or Tampa. Surprised to see this story although I never watch the 60 Minutes Hatchet Machine. Keeping an open mind particularly with any response from the FAA and the company. Considering the manner in which some of those Florida newspapers have unfairly attacked The Villages with lies and half truths, I am a little careful about believing some of their reporting.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I guess they are all lying....................
Why would these paper spend all that time and money to provide info for people to make their own decisions?
Lying may be a strong word to use but sometimes telling half the story can be just as damaging.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Scary information, but they should have disclosed the last FAA Audit findings..............which was clean.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Scary information, but they should have disclosed the last FAA Audit findings..............which was clean.
You see, that is the problem with the news business in the last few years. I have lost all credanikity in what I read as it seems like the news is Agenda Driven. Leaving out important facts is the same as lying to me.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
You see, that is the problem with the news business in the last few years. I have lost all credanikity in what I read as it seems like the news is Agenda Driven. Leaving out important facts is the same as lying to me.

There are other sources to research on your own. Watching an edited report on a commercial news outlet and adjusting your life around that 10 minute segment seems illogical to me. It should stimulate personal investigation and not taken as definitive. Then of course there is the conspiracy theory . We will continue to fly Allegiant.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-16-2018, 03:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I believe in data-driven facts, and prefer to fly airlines with good safety and maintenance records.

A report, whether it is in the newspaper(s) or TV, can bring to my attention something I want to investigate further in order to make up my own mind.

Tags
allegiant, air, research, watch, findings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.