Illegal aliens From Cuba

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I love America. It is a beautiful nation with truly wonderful people but ....

It gives lip service to welcoming immigrants, legal or otherwise. You are more than welcome if you are healthy and have money or a skill the U.S. wants. Look at the history. Chinese (most of whom came here illegally) were not welcomed although sorely needed in helping to build our railroads. Irish were relegated to the most menial jobs possible. Hitler actually offered to send German Jews to America but the offer was refused unless they could come with their property, which was not going to happen. More than one ship carrying Jews was turned away. Only Singapore allowed these ships to land and the people to disembark with no provisos. After the Civil War, the north had a huge wave of Afro-Americans. They were most assuredly not welcomed and were sorely mistreated even in the big cities.

Americans have repeatedly been afraid that the newest influx of immigrants would take their jobs, change their culture, take over. In a sense, they have been right. Every wave has made a difference to this nation in one way or another and, ultimately, considered to be Americans.

However, the difference with past immigrants and immigrants today (legal or otherwise) is the refusal to attempt to assimilate and the willingness of this country to accept that refusal. ESL became the law in the 70's. Sharia law is cited by some judges, especially in divorce cases. The Hispanic population is becoming the majority here.

To me, illegal or legal is irrelevant. What is relevant is the unwillingness by today's immigrants to become Americans. I don't want to live in Mexico or Nicaragua or Guatemala. I want to live in America. I don't want to speak Spanish. I may think English is a dumb language since it breaks every rule it has but it is the language of this country and it has its own beauty. I sincerely wish America would stay American but I don't think it will. As long as the Hispanic community votes, our politicians will listen. As long as the Hispanic community shops, the businesses will continue the option to have someone speak to them in their language. And so on and so forth. Their population here today is too large to ignore.

What can be changed -- no financial assistance, whether welfare, Medicaid, food stamps, housing, etc. -- unless you are here legally and then only on a limited basis. Legal or illegal, kids should be educated. It is to our benefit. However, rather than ESL, immersion programs.

America will change as the population changes. Many will not like the changes. That doesn't necessarily make the changes bad, just makes those of us who don't want change uncomfortable. Hopefully, the basic tenets of America will remain the same and this, I believe, will be the case.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-17-2015, 11:10 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
…… The current concept of allowing illegals to come in by the thousands with no identification/documentation or inspection and disappear into our economy and given all kinds of monetary assistance is just plainn and simple unAmerican. An insult to all who came here in the past and currently LEGALLY.

I do not particularly care why some think it is OK. It is not with me. It is against the law. It is against the wishes of many millions of current US citizens.

IT IS ILLEGAL!!!
What is illegal is LOVED and enabled by many.

But 25 states do NOT like what is illegal, and they are suing the Administration for doing it!

See map of those states and which ones like illegal immigration here:

25 states sue Obama over amnesty, but some states are silent | TheHill

Old 01-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Veteran member

Actually, I think that you will find that any Cuban who arrives "dry feet" on US soil can claim asylum here. Been that way since the late 50s or early 60s. Thus, they won't be illegal.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
Actually, I think that you will find that any Cuban who arrives "dry feet" on US soil can claim asylum here. Been that way since the late 50s or early 60s. Thus, they won't be illegal.
That won't be the case if the US lifts the embargo and reopens diplomatic relations with Cuba.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
That won't be the case if the US lifts the embargo and reopens diplomatic relations with Cuba.
Only if Congress recinds the law. And you can bet that *that* will really get the Cuban community stirred up
Old 01-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

When we lived in the Keys it was nothing to see a bus load of illegals taken up to the Chrome detention center for processing. Then they would be released to their (sponsor) and off to Miami they would go. What people dont know is the give a ways they got . Five years health care money clothes. When they ran out of money they come back to the Keys (Caribbean Club) in Key Largo go in and tell the bar tender they just landed in turn he would call the Border Patrol and back through the system they would go. This is nothing new and it is big money in Miami. So what is the difference if we open up to Cuba or not. No biggy nothing has really changed. All politics in motion. ( I think its called votes)
Old 01-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
When we lived in the Keys it was nothing to see a bus load of illegals taken up to the Chrome detention center for processing. Then they would be released to their (sponsor) and off to Miami they would go. What people dont know is the give a ways they got . Five years health care money clothes. When they ran out of money they come back to the Keys (Caribbean Club) in Key Largo go in and tell the bar tender they just landed in turn he would call the Border Patrol and back through the system they would go. This is nothing new and it is big money in Miami. So what is the difference if we open up to Cuba or not. No biggy nothing has really changed. All politics in motion. ( I think its called votes)
Not questioning you per se, as I have heard these stories, but do you have any links or any accrediation for this ? It is something I would like to read
Old 01-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

It really was never published that I know of. I worked with people that went through the system. Believe it or you dont have to. Another is the Haitians that came in. The Cubans wouldnt hire them in Miami so a lot of them lived in Homestead and came to the Keys to work. There was or is a bus line that ran all the way to Key West. So all the BS in nothing new.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

This sounds similar. An interesting read to the end.

http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/immigrants.asp
Old 01-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Eternal Member

When a Cuban is able to get ashore, he is considered "dry feet" and is able to get asylum and therefore not illegal. If the Navy or Coast Guard pick them up at sea, they are considered "wet feet" and are returned to Cuba.

The Haitians do not get this treatment and are considered illegal if they come to the USA without official documents.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

Not returned to Cuba taken to another island nation. Lived next to Border patrol and Coastys.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:57 AM

has anyone been to miami.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
Not returned to Cuba taken to another island nation. Lived next to Border patrol and Coastys.
This is from a Washington Post article that I Googled:

"This is the informal named given to a 1995 agreement under which Cuban migrants seeking passage to the United States who are intercepted at sea ("wet feet") are sent back to Cuba or to a third country, while those who make it to U.S. soil ("dry feet") are allowed to remain in the United States. The policy, formally known as the U.S.-Cuba Immigration Accord, has been written into law as an amendment to the 1966 Cuban Adjustment Act.

How does the Coast Guard enforce this policy?

The Coast Guard uses patrol boats, cutters and aircraft to patrol the seas and skies around southern Florida. Cubans intercepted at sea are interviewed by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, which decides whether they have a well-founded fear of persecution and are thus eligible for asylum in a third country. If not, they are repatriated to Cuba."
Old 01-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
This is from a Washington Post article that I Googled:

"This is the informal named given to a 1995 agreement under which Cuban migrants seeking passage to the United States who are intercepted at sea ("wet feet") are sent back to Cuba or to a third country, while those who make it to U.S. soil ("dry feet") are allowed to remain in the United States. The policy, formally known as the U.S.-Cuba Immigration Accord, has been written into law as an amendment to the 1966 Cuban Adjustment Act.

How does the Coast Guard enforce this policy?

The Coast Guard uses patrol boats, cutters and aircraft to patrol the seas and skies around southern Florida. Cubans intercepted at sea are interviewed by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, which decides whether they have a well-founded fear of persecution and are thus eligible for asylum in a third country. If not, they are repatriated to Cuba."
The article you cite is EIGHT years old, but it still is in effect.

This recent article from about a month ago has a nice discussion of the pros and cons of continuing this program based on our new policies...

"Recently, US President Barack Obama, and his Cuban counterpart, Raul Castro, announced a new chapter of cooperation in US-Cuba relations. Is the “wet feet, dry feet” policy still relevant?

Jason Dzubow, author of the Asylumist, a thoughtful blog on asylum and refugee issues, thinks it’s time to end the policy."

Why the Cuba “wet feet, dry feet” policy should continue | Open Borders: The Case

Then follows Mr Dzubow's comments followed by the authors opinions.

Then this from the Miami Herald yesterday...

"Havana acknowledged Wednesday that only Congress could change U.S. immigration laws for Cubans, but contended that there could be leeway in how the laws are implemented.

Cuban officials have long said they have serious concerns about the Cuban Adjustment Act and the U.S. wet foot/dry foot policy, and they repeated those concerns at U.S.-Cuba immigration talks in Havana."

Read more here: Havana: U.S. immigration policy for Cubans needs to change | The Miami Herald

Hoping our congress can address this issue along with a total immigration policy.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Veteran member

Sorry illegal is illegal why should we welcome them with open arms? Please tell me a good reason. I dont know of one.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.