Anybody here worked in advertising?

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2018, 11:30 PM
Veteran member
Default Anybody here worked in advertising?

I've always been curious why advertisers desire the 18-49 demographic almost to the exclusion of everyone else. TV ratings are reported according to "the demo" with the total number of viewers added almost as an afterthought. TV series have been cancelled because they "skew too old" even though they have very high overall ratings.

I mean, honestly. On the average, seniors have a much higher net worth and more discretionary income than 18-49 year olds. People 50+ make up about half of the total population of the U.S.

The reasons given are usually that seniors aren't desirable because they're already brand loyal and are slow to try new things. I don't agree with that AT ALL, but a sample size of one isn't going to convince Madison Avenue.

Just this week I ordered an electric toothbrush and some OTC allergy medication because I saw ads for them. Do you think you're more or less likely to try new products now compared to when you were younger?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:56 AM

I always like to try new products, especially new food products but I will usually wait until it goes on sale to try it just in case I don't like it much. I also like to get free samples to try new items. If I like it, I will buy it in the future.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,585 Times in 5,184 Posts

This thread presents a conundrum. If you try to answer the OP's question about products you buy, your post can be removed for being off topic about having worked in advertising.
Closed Thread

Tags
total, ratings, seniors, 18-49, size

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.