Immigrants to be Housed in 'Suites' Near San Antonio

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 AM

"Laughingstock" is a more appropriate word for everyone in America as we all sit on the sideline and watch this happen to our Country. We do absolutely nothing to hold our elected officials responsible while the rest of the world watches our sheepish response to situations like this, Bengazi, the IRS, etc. It is as though we have lost our will to even uphold common sense laws and values that WERE the foundation of his great nation. It's no wonder we now seeing Putin expanding relationships with Cuba and other central American countries. He (and the terriorist) now know that America will do absolutely nothing to defend itself or it's people from any aggressors. So we will most likely go to the poles this fall and the majority of voters will re-elect the same idiots that are there in DC today. Wake up America!!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
• First of all, it is no longer referred to as a detention center but rather as a “resident center.” Who cares
• The illegal aliens, instead of being referred to as detainees, are referred to as “residents” Don't care
• Illegals will be given a free health examination upon arrival Hope so
• Illegals also get six sets of free clothing Um...six pair of underwear and such, probably about $20
• Doctors attention will be available at all times … free of course (which always means the taxpayer pasy) 21 days of healthcare....
• “Residents” will have free access to a dentist 21 days....
• Other amenities include recreational fields, a library, internet access, and a cafeteria which will serve three all-you-can-eat meals a day. “Free” of course. Ouch... bet that is expensive....open field.... um.... wifi is actually pretty cheap
• Recreation activities include exercise equipment, a soccer field, basketball court, and volleyball court. see above
• Certified teachers will also be on site to provide year-round education .Free! Good, I'm all for employing more teachers. Maybe some of the boomerang kids here in The Villages could get a job
• Small jobs will also be available paying $3 a day for four hours of work. I would think you would like this.
• Free immigration attorney services … the purpose of which in all practicality is to find a way to enable the illegals to stay in the US Isn't that the point-legal immigration
• Families will be able to move throughout the center freely from 6am to 10pm. Crazy
• Visitors will be allowed from 8am to 8pm.
• Cable television is available in each 8-person suite. Only 8 people in a "suite"? I'm sure we could get 20 or 30 in there.
• A computer lab allows some internet access and email services but restricts social media.
The whole point of listing the various services “residents” who enter the country illegally but then receive at the “resident center” is that they are getting some very nice stuff for “free.” People who were born in America don’t get that. Legal immigrants don’t either, and for that matter wait in line and then pay to become citizens. These discrepancies don’t seem to bother you at all.

People who are not bothered in the least by illegal immigration make various arguments to support their position, some of which I paraphrase briefly below(I’m not saying you necessarily believe any or all of what follows btw):

-America stole the land from Mexico… it’s only right we give some of it back!

- We are all immigrants … the Indians were here first and we did a job on them … America is rotten and now it’s our turn to suffer

- It’s compassionate … these immigrants have lousy lives and we have to help. Beside, they’re “children” after all!!

- What’s the big deal with a border anyway?

You however, have made a unique argument and first I’ve ever heard it … it will help employ more teachers. (!!!) This board never ceases to amaze …

Since you’re a teacher, let me ask you some questions please.

1. Do you favor ANY limits on illegal immigration at all? If so, what?

2. Do you support Open Borders? If so, why?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
The guys who cut our grass are all citizens of the US? Do you really think that? Anyhow, if they cannot afford a doctor, that is the purpose of the Affordable Care Act. It is provided to those who cannot pay. They are eligible for food stamps and various types of social welfare - which is only right.

As for those living in the Ocala forest, most are mentally ill and do not work or want to live elsewhere. Many still receive their VA disability checks even though they are homeless.

As for the services provided to the immigrants at the detention center - it sounds perfectly right to me.

I have never called your posts mean or hateful. It is your opinion and the free exchange of opinions is what this forum is about. I respect that just as you do.
The crews that cut the grass in our neighborhood are largely Anglo, along with a black crew. The Hispanics seem to work more with the landscaping. But you’re splitting hairs IHMO with the question about citizenship. My point is there is obvious poverty all around The Villages (Wildwood, Oxford etc) and I think it’s wrong to reward illegal aliens, who break the law by definition, with free stuff. It’s the principle of the thing as much as anything else. My objection is amplified when US citizens are in need, food stamps and the promise of free medical care etc notwithstanding.

On your last point, if you go back and read my post again you’ll see I did not say that you (ie Buggy) have called my posts mean or hateful etc. I appreciate that. But, others on this board have said things along those lines during this thread and that’s what I was referring to. No big deal to me, because it’s actually instructive. Some people (again, not you), when they can’t argue their position for unrestricted immigration including illegal immigration, revert to name calling, playing the “compassion” card, or the “children” card etc.

I appreciate and respect the opportunity to have an exchange of views with you and others on this board, and as you note. While I will never understand how you come to some of your views, much less agree with them (and vice versa no doubt), nonetheless these types of exchanges are what makes TOTV so valuable.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

You however, have made a unique argument and first I’ve ever heard it … it will help employ more teachers. (!!!) This board never ceases to amaze …That was tongue in cheek.

Absolutely I believe in limits to illegal immigration. But until you secure the border, it will not be enforced. But..... these children are here and in many cases, should be granted refugee status. I see this latest influx as a unique situation. These are not Mexican children, these children are mostly form Central and South America. If, and I say if......we can educate these children and turn them into productive, contributing members of our society, we all win. These kids WANT to be here. Look what they have gone through to get here. I'll take a highly motivated kid like that any day. As a teacher, I have had these students in my class. I had a young lady three years ago that could not speak one word of English when she walked into my class. She is now an Honors student in high school. She believes this country is an opportunity for her. Most of these kids feel that way. Why not engage that motivation?????

2. Do you support Open Borders? If so, why?[/QUOTE]

No

Dr. Seuss
Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post

Absolutely I believe in limits to illegal immigration. But until you secure the border, it will not be enforced. But..... these children are here and in many cases, should be granted refugee status. I see this latest influx as a unique situation. These are not Mexican children, these children are mostly form Central and South America. If, and I say if......we can educate these children and turn them into productive, contributing members of our society, we all win. These kids WANT to be here. Look what they have gone through to get here. I'll take a highly motivated kid like that any day. As a teacher, I have had these students in my class. I had a young lady three years ago that could not speak one word of English when she walked into my class. She is now an Honors student in high school. She believes this country is an opportunity for her. Most of these kids feel that way. Why not engage that motivation?????

2. Do you support Open Borders? If so, why?
No
Ok, this is progress. At least you’re not an open borders advocate.

Your comment about helping highly motivated kids is appealing … no problem with that. However, do you think the one student you knew is the exception or the rule? Is she 1 out a 100, or 1 out of 10 or what? How many of the kids who are here illegally are in the lower portion of the bell and will not turn out so well … ie drugs, crime, drain on the system etc? It sounds like you have experience to talk to that so please do.

But, more importantly since this is key as you say, what do you recommend be done to secure the borders?? I totally agree with that, and I think most here do as well. Please share your thoughts on what actions you think should be taken? Much appreciated.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

As for the motivation of the students I have had, the Puerto Rican, Colombian, Mexican, Dominican or Haitian have been across the board a more motivated student academically. There are cultural issues regarding boys vs girls that I have realized that do affect the situation. The reason they are low is generally a result of language. I have always pressed my district to test my students in their native language first to determine deficiencies, but hey, it seems folks at the top have education are smarter than the people in the classrooms. (argument for another day)
It will take significant resources and willingness to secure the border. I really don't have a problem with the fence but I will leave that up to the people that live and work there. They know best. As has been mentioned, unless something is done regarding the drug cartels, not much will change. Just my two cents, won't get you much.

Dr. Seuss
Old 08-04-2014, 03:28 PM

The American people need to wake up and realize that this whole illegal alien "Southern border" issue is about the politicians buying votes with U.S. citizen tax dollars. The liberal politicians see this as adding to their future voter base and the conservative politicians, who would really like to secure the border, are afraid to stop it because they know that by doing so they will lose more of the Hispanic voting population both now and in the future. The vast majority of the politicians are much more concerned about maintaining or gaining control in Washington, DC than they are about the welfare of the illegals! This is strictly a political battle over the Hispanic votes and nothing more.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BargeMan View Post
The American people need to wake up and realize that this whole illegal alien "Southern border" issue is about the politicians buying votes with U.S. citizen tax dollars. The liberal politicians see this as adding to their future voter base and the conservative politicians, who would really like to secure the border, are afraid to stop it because they know that by doing so they will lose more of the Hispanic voting population both now and in the future. The vast majority of the politicians are much more concerned about maintaining or gaining control in Washington, DC than they are about the welfare of the illegals! This is strictly a political battle over the Hispanic votes and nothing more.

If what you say is true, how come there was a bi-partisan immigration reform bill passed overwhelmingly by the senate over a year ago? This bill, among other things, would have led to a pathway to citizenship for the eleven million already living here.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
If what you say is true, how come there was a bi-partisan immigration reform bill passed overwhelmingly by the senate over a year ago? This bill, among other things, would have led to a pathway to citizenship for the eleven million already living here.
That same Immigration bill would have allowed resident aliens from Canada to stay in the USA for eight months in a calendar year. Currently Canadians are only allowed to stay six months in the US in a calendar year, even if they own a home there. As I understand it, that Bill has been stalled in the House for over a year.

This has nothing to do with the topic. However I just wanted to say that every Canadian resident alien I know purchases Emergency Travel Healthcare coverage in Canada before traveling to the US.

Last edited by Barefoot; 08-04-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Both parties are jockeying for the Hispanic vote - while some politician have a conscience and worry about losing votes from those who want the border sealed (both Democrat & Republican voters), bottom line is they are all after the votes.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 AM
Default immigrants

Wow I don't know where to start. My Daughter has worked for a detention center for over 10 years. Four years ago they were going to shut it down instead revamped a new building they opened last year. Now they are doubling the newly revamped rooms. In the 10 years my daughter divorced and had 2 children to raise with off and on child support. My daughter was a college graduate when she started working there and now has a Masters degree. Because of the economy and being a single Mom she hasn't been able to leave this job to better her situation. No one to fall back on. I asked her if they received any of the new immigrants and was told they are not allowed to talk to anyone about it. Why I'm writing is that over the last 8 years she has taken the children on many day trips to fairs, museums, parks, amusement parks all on the tax payers money. But she couldn't afford to take her own children because she has to pay all her bills and keep a roof over their heads. Also she has told me that some of the illegal immigrants stay for almost 2 years. And after living this way for so long they learn all the ins and out of the welfare system.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by franjoe View Post
Wow I don't know where to start. My Daughter has worked for a detention center for over 10 years. Four years ago they were going to shut it down instead revamped a new building they opened last year. Now they are doubling the newly revamped rooms. In the 10 years my daughter divorced and had 2 children to raise with off and on child support. My daughter was a college graduate when she started working there and now has a Masters degree. Because of the economy and being a single Mom she hasn't been able to leave this job to better her situation. No one to fall back on. I asked her if they received any of the new immigrants and was told they are not allowed to talk to anyone about it. Why I'm writing is that over the last 8 years she has taken the children on many day trips to fairs, museums, parks, amusement parks all on the tax payers money. But she couldn't afford to take her own children because she has to pay all her bills and keep a roof over their heads. Also she has told me that some of the illegal immigrants stay for almost 2 years. And after living this way for so long they learn all the ins and out of the welfare system.
This just isn't right....
Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Hispanic vote historiclly vote at least 90% democrat. So who has been pandering for the votes for at least the last 50 years? The senate bill loud illegal immigrants free ride to citzenship. What does that do to the legal immigrants that's has to wait years to get in line to immigrate. NO free get out of jail for illegally entering the country. No reward for law breakers.
The problem district's won't vote the career lier's out that made millions from there dirty deals. So this is what we get Dirty lieing senator's and congressmen form both parties.
The Career statemen have special interest in mind staying in office including voting for their own pay and benifits which IMO should be put to vote. They are NOT in it for the best interest of it citzens, but to line their own pockets and the lobbists the feed them. Wake up people The fall of great nation is at stake and crumbling faster now that ever before IMO. It will effect ALL of US.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by franjoe View Post
Is this detention center a state-run or federal facility? If state-run, what state is it located in. In order to take action, we have to know the details.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.