Important!! Veterans, Please Be Advised !!!!

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 PM
silvertoken silvertoken is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Important!! Veterans, Please Be Advised !!!!

I have not moved yet and still have a week to go. This has been a learning experiance with all types of insurance. I am a Veteran American Legion member and it's worth every nickle. The magazine I recieve every month is by far the best information and has saved me more than 50% on my car and home insurance in Florida. I simply cannot believe how much more money can be saved. There really is a big differance on quotes, more than 2X as much. What is going on over there? I dont understand the huge differance? Car insurance especially.......
  #2  
Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 PM
golf2140 golf2140 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bonita
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Is that with USAA
__________________
Villager from 2000 until they take me out in a small box!!!
  #3  
Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 AM
bluedog103's Avatar
bluedog103 bluedog103 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,436
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertoken View Post
I have not moved yet and still have a week to go. This has been a learning experiance with all types of insurance. I am a Veteran American Legion member and it's worth every nickle. The magazine I recieve every month is by far the best information and has saved me more than 50% on my car and home insurance in Florida. I simply cannot believe how much more money can be saved. There really is a big differance on quotes, more than 2X as much. What is going on over there? I dont understand the huge differance? Car insurance especially.......
Hey Silver,
I'm a longtime Legion member too. I don't have a copy of the legion magazine around the house. Do you recall the company or companies you use for insurance, both homeowners and car?
Thanks,
Blue
__________________
New York State, Alabama, South Carolina, Texas, Italy.
  #4  
Old 02-05-2011, 09:08 AM
silvertoken silvertoken is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

USAA is one of them. Progressive wanted over 1700. a year. USAA 800. Doesnt figure!!! Thats just for car insurance for a car 1 year old. There are big differances with house insurance too, I just dont want to go into it, in case I get in trouble for it.
  #5  
Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Army Guy's Avatar
Army Guy Army Guy is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!
Posts: 1,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have everything except Golf Cart with USAA. No one can touch their prices. Have used them for 30+ years!

Army Guy
__________________
Scouts Out!!!!
NJ, PA, NC, AL, Germany, etc, etc and finally The Village of Bonita.
  #6  
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM
nkrifats
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
I have everything except Golf Cart with USAA. No one can touch their prices. Have used them for 30+ years!

Army Guy
I have auto with USAA and they can not be beat. Homeowners, they were not writing in Sumter when I checked. Used AAA for Home and golf cart.
  #7  
Old 02-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Army Guy's Avatar
Army Guy Army Guy is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!
Posts: 1,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrifats View Post
I have auto with USAA and they can not be beat. Homeowners, they were not writing in Sumter when I checked. Used AAA for Home and golf cart.
Correct, but they put you through to one of their preferred providers who do the underwriting for them.

Army Guy
__________________
Scouts Out!!!!
NJ, PA, NC, AL, Germany, etc, etc and finally The Village of Bonita.
  #8  
Old 02-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Ohiogirl Ohiogirl is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seasonal Villager - summer in Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,483
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I have USAA for car insurance, and USAA writing thru ASI (for Florida Homeowners) when I checked again a couple of months ago. I already had ASI and USAA told me absolutely no benefit to go thru USAA for the ASI.

If ASI is writing policies, you do not have to be a USAA member to get it - we got ours at Villages Insurance Agency. But they limit their risk in Florida also, and write only a certain # of policies per zip code.
  #9  
Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 PM
swrinfla swrinfla is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,778
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

As a long-time USAA customer (I guess at least 35 years, if not more) I frankly haven't even considered switching from them. I understand that new customers in Florida won't get anywhere near the deal I did in 2005, but being grandfathered-in works well for me!

You won't see them as a target of competetive advertisements; no one can beat them. It's true (and, IMO, rightly so) that not everyone can be a member; those who are are 99.9% happy!



SWR
__________________
Missouri-Massachusetts-Connecticut-Maine-Missouri-Texas-Missouri-Florida
  #10  
Old 02-05-2011, 05:51 PM
silvertoken silvertoken is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hopefully this post would help some of the Veterans unaware of the benefits that await them, and to the other posters confirming, thanks. All input on benefits are more than . This is my second VA loan all done with the closing, I"ll home next week.



Massachusetts, France, Washington State, Virginia, Germany, New Jersey, Germany, Massachusetts, Texas, Germany, Massachusetts, Florida
  #11  
Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 PM
pooh's Avatar
pooh pooh is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MA, CA, TV
Posts: 6,116
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default

We've had USAA for just about 40 years. My son and his family also have USAA and we are lucky enough to have our homes covered. They no longer write homeowners insurance here, I believe. Would never switch. Membership rules have changed a bit and more are allowed to become a part of the USAA family.
Years and years ago, I remember our teen son complaining about the cost of auto insurance for his car. (It was his responsibility if he wanted to drive). I told him I'd call and get a few quotes from other companies while he was at school and then he could compare. A couple of the companies I called asked what provider he was using and when I told them, USAA, they said, "Why does he want to switch? There's no way we can compare." Oh well.....he stayed with USAA and at the ripe age of 40, still is a member.
__________________
Namaste y'all
  #12  
Old 02-05-2011, 08:17 PM
nkrifats
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
I have USAA for car insurance, and USAA writing thru ASI (for Florida Homeowners) when I checked again a couple of months ago. I already had ASI and USAA told me absolutely no benefit to go thru USAA for the ASI.

If ASI is writing policies, you do not have to be a USAA member to get it - we got ours at Villages Insurance Agency. But they limit their risk in Florida also, and write only a certain # of policies per zip code.
Home owners is through ASI. USAA checked and they was not writing in Sumter. I was already with ASI through AAA. Very Happy with USAA on other coverage.
  #13  
Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 PM
taylor111947 taylor111947 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove
Posts: 242
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Just thought I'd add to the previous posts. We have had home, business, auto and life insurance with USAA for many years. When my husband passed away they provided me with a financial advisor for a year at no cost to me. I have continued to use their financial services for investment and retirement planning and recently I signed up for Long Term Care Insurance through them. It's disappointing that they no longer offer home owners insurance in Florida, but I think you can get a mortgage through them.
  #14  
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Army Guy's Avatar
Army Guy Army Guy is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!
Posts: 1,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
We've had USAA for just about 40 years. My son and his family also have USAA and we are lucky enough to have our homes covered. They no longer write homeowners insurance here, I believe. Would never switch. Membership rules have changed a bit and more are allowed to become a part of the USAA family.
Years and years ago, I remember our teen son complaining about the cost of auto insurance for his car. (It was his responsibility if he wanted to drive). I told him I'd call and get a few quotes from other companies while he was at school and then he could compare. A couple of the companies I called asked what provider he was using and when I told them, USAA, they said, "Why does he want to switch? There's no way we can compare." Oh well.....he stayed with USAA and at the ripe age of 40, still is a member.
Pooh, I had the same thing years ago when looking for Home Owners for a new home. They said right off the bat, we can't beat their price! Plus that check back every Fall comes in handy!

Army Guy
__________________
Scouts Out!!!!
NJ, PA, NC, AL, Germany, etc, etc and finally The Village of Bonita.
  #15  
Old 02-08-2011, 05:10 PM
normgreg normgreg is offline
Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 50
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default USAA..... not so good for me.

I decided to setup an account & get a quote due to the good postings for USAA on this board. I just got off the phone with a salesperson from USAA & their quote for my car with the same coverage was higher than what I now pay with Travelers.
Maybe the longevity with USAA of some customers is a factor in the prices. For now I'm staying put.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.