Improper backing?

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2015, 12:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Two movements by a driver wherein a driver is held totally accountable are improper backing and passing on the left. Yes there can and are contributing circumstances that modify this but if I went into detail this post would be much too long and I am only attempting to explain to the OP why tickets are issued in such circumstances

Personal Best Regards:
You may need to go into detail because that really made no sense to me.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:16 AM
Platinum member
Default Thank you!

I thought that it could mean something else entirely. Duh.

I see a golf cart parking space on the opposite side of the street. I turn across the oncoming lane to park in that space. Now, when I leave that space, I back across the closest lane to go the opposite direction. I imagined that I was wrong backing across the lane to the farthest lane rather than backing out and going to the closest lane.

Thanks again. You can see how my mind is jumbled.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Backing into an intersection is an offense, but I think it is listed separately, not as improper backing.

The police agencies don't investigate traffic crashes on privately owned parking lots, so it sounds like an offense that occurs in the streets.
It appears from reading the on-line newspaper, that at least the Lady Lake police DO respond to accidents in our parking lots along 441/27...lots of stories there about just that thing...tickets often issued also...can do a search on parking lot to read the reports.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,911 Times in 2,445 Posts

The 2014 Florida Statutes
Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

View Entire Chapter

316.081 Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions.—
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

(c) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon; or

(d) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.

(2) Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) On a road, street, or highway having two or more lanes allowing movement in the same direction, a driver may not continue to operate a motor vehicle in the furthermost left-hand lane if the driver knows or reasonably should know that he or she is being overtaken in that lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed. This subsection does not apply to drivers operating a vehicle that is overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or is preparing for a left turn at an intersection.

(4) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the centerline of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under paragraph (1)(b). However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the centerline in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.

(5) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

History.—s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 104, ch. 99-248; s. 11, ch. 2013-160; s. 5, ch. 2014-216.

I understand it not illegal to drive in the left lane only if your blocking traffic. SO I CAN SPEED ALL I WANT IN THE LEFT LANE until CAUGHT.

O speeding against the law also. so two wrongs don't make you right

IMO this don't count multilane streets with stop lights! Could you see the right lane only traffic backed up at stop lights on 441! IMO that what the other lanes are for THROUGH TRAFFIC. In not why did we build more than two lane roads IMO the Law keeps slower traffic to the right so the speeders won't rear end them and the county/state has revenue source from speeders. IMO is also against the Law to Speed in any lane. But, that's none of my business, that's why we have traffic laws. Too bad we don't have more Red light portable camera for speeding. Just think of the Revenue that would generate.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Passing on the LEFT is an offense? But passing on the right is okay?

I don't get the gist of this............
Hi Carl:

When on a two lane highway passing on the right is not only OK its suicide.
When passing on the left the operator must be certain the way is clear, that s/he signaled properly and appropriately made other drivers aware of their movement (horn) and that nothing will prevent s/he from overtaking vehicles headed in the same direction and retuning to their proper lane of travel . If done improperly and an accident results negligence will be assigned to the driver attempting to pass. If there are intervening causes then negligence could be apportioned.

the same principle applies to backing. A driver backing has sole responsibility unless again some intervening cause

Most of us are use to traveling on four/six lanes and this issue is less relevant

Personal Best Regards:
Old 05-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hi Carl:

When on a two lane highway passing on the right is not only OK its suicide.
When passing on the left the operator must be certain the way is clear, that s/he signaled properly and appropriately made other drivers aware of their movement (horn) and that nothing will prevent s/he from overtaking vehicles headed in the same direction and retuning to their proper lane of travel . If done improperly and an accident results negligence will be assigned to the driver attempting to pass. If there are intervening causes then negligence could be apportioned.

the same principle applies to backing. A driver backing has sole responsibility unless again some intervening cause

Most of us are use to traveling on four/six lanes and this issue is less relevant

Personal Best Regards:
You suggest that a driver should honk the car horn when passing? I think you have mis-read something.

Regarding passing on the right; it is legal under several conditions.

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL
View Entire Chapter
316.084 When overtaking on the right is permitted.—
(1) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
(b) Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement not occupied by parked vehicles of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction;
(c) Upon a one-way street, or upon any roadway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles.
(2) The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.
(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.
History.—s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 108, ch. 99-248.

If it were not for these provisions for passing on the right a slow moving car in the left lane could severely restrict traffic flow.

As the saying goes, get even with the Yankees; go up North and drive slowly in the left lane (with your right turn signal blinking.)

Old 05-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Passing on the left would be an offense if it's a 2 lane road and you cross a double yellow line to pass, such as on St. Charles or Bailey's Trail. To pass on a two lane road legally you need to wait for the white segmented line. That's the only way I can think of it being illegal.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.