Instant Pot

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts
Default Instant Pot

Noooooooooo, not looking to purchase the wild weed.

If you have an Instant Pot, do you like it?? Do you use it often??

Old 12-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Had one...loved it for travel.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Yes, I like it but not using it to it's full potential. Great for browning beef then slow cooking it in the same pot. Need to experiment with it more. If you like to try new methods, it's for you.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 AM
Sage

I am thinking of getting one as well. Here's a link to some recipes you can make. One that caught my eye is a rotisserie chicken in 30 minutes fall off the bone. Lots of other great recipes. From my observation you would need to brown the meat before placing it in the instapot. I had a pressure cooker for years and used it all the time until I blew the lid off and put chili all over the ceiling. This was totally my fault. The instapot looks to have more safety features than the old pressure cooker I had. My sister makes soup all the time with hers and she loves it.

Pinterest[]=instapot%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=recipes%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined
Old 12-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Sage

I saw a piece on t.v. where they were high-lighting these. It was said it can replace 11 kitchen appliances (I doubt we've ever had THAT many at once). We've ordered one so time will tell if we like it or not. We use our slow-cooker frequently. I will probably keep that (just in case). Isn't it great we now have Pinterest and YouTube to go for ideas???
Old 12-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Default Love my Instant Pot!

I bought one on Black Friday sales and so far it's great. Chicken alfredo in less than 10 minutes. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes! I like that I can brown or saute in it before or after cooking and don't have to mess another pan. Haven't tried the slow cooker yet.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Noooooooooo, not looking to purchase the wild weed...
Aww...sheesh.

Can you direct me to that thread then?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Gold member
Default It is simply an electroic pressure cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Noooooooooo, not looking to purchase the wild weed.

If you have an Instant Pot, do you like it?? Do you use it often??

I have several pressure cookers and use them often.
One that I have belonged to my grandmother and the instructions have a date code of 1945.

Since you are cooking under a closed cover, you need to follow recipe directions exactly. Spices for example-since the pot is closed they have more of an effect than in an opened pot where oils and flavor is lost.

It does a great job with tough meats such as corned beef or pot roast. A modern pressure cooker has several safety features that the older ones did not. For one thing the seals are made of silicon and seem to last forever. Also,
a modern STAINLESS STEEL quality pressure cooker will cost you about as much as the instant pot.

For people who have blown a pressure cooker. First of all the smallest one I have is 9 qt. The reason is-no one reads instructions-you are not supposed to fill it more than half way. So a nine quart is actually 4.5 qt usable-I expect that is also true of the instant pot.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaborn View Post
I bought one on Black Friday sales and so far it's great. Chicken alfredo in less than 10 minutes. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes! I like that I can brown or saute in it before or after cooking and don't have to mess another pan. Haven't tried the slow cooker yet.
Getting hungry.............and I haven't even smoked today.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I just got the Instant Pot Ultra model which is the newer model. It doesn't require you to set the pressure, it is automatic. It sautes, makes yogurt, cakes, acts a sous vide, and many other features. I think it is great and makes a great meal in a short time. Look for sales and make sure you compare models so you understand what each one does and does not do. There are phone apps with recipes as well as lots of online places to look for new ideas.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Our daughter showed off her instant pot last month on our visit to Ohio. It is a crock pot and a pressure cooker and can brown meat as well. I am a little jealous.

Santa? I have been good.

O.K. Never mind. sigh.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Our daughter showed off her instant pot last month on our visit to Ohio. It is a crock pot and a pressure cooker and can brown meat as well. I am a little jealous.

Santa? I have been good.

O.K. Never mind. sigh.
Look on the bright side...........you can cook with a lump of coal.

My Bride has been very good..............so I'm thinking of putting it under the tree.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:56 PM

Great ribs in less than an hour. Extremely tasty broth from leftover bones and chicken carcases.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I am thinking of getting one as well. Here's a link to some recipes you can make. One that caught my eye is a rotisserie chicken in 30 minutes fall off the bone. Lots of other great recipes. From my observation you would need to brown the meat before placing it in the instapot. I had a pressure cooker for years and used it all the time until I blew the lid off and put chili all over the ceiling. This was totally my fault. The instapot looks to have more safety features than the old pressure cooker I had. My sister makes soup all the time with hers and she loves it.

Pinterest[]=instapot%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=recipes%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined
The beauty of the IP is you brown the meat right in the pot on the sauté mode then slow cook or pressure cook from there.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:49 PM
Sage

What’s the precise model of the most recommended one? (I see prices and descriptions all over the place.)
Closed Thread

Tags
instant, pot, undecided, weed, noooooooooo

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.