Outdoor Spa Help

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2018, 08:47 AM
Platinum member
Default Outdoor Spa Help

Hi all,

After the horrific rain of last week, my spa “died”. It turns out the fuse was tripped. We reset and Spa went on but after a few minutes it tripped the fuse again. A few days later T&D came. Of course the Spa went on, everything looked good and the technician left. A few hours later it tripped the fuse again.

T&D came back yesterday. The tech reset the breaker, gave us his cell number and told us to call him when it trips again. It worked all day and night and this morning it is dead again. Of course it’s now Sunday and I’m not sure if I should call him on what is probably his day off.

Regardless, I’m wondering is there someway to determine whether the problem is with the SPA or with the electricity?
Old 12-30-2018, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Hi all,

After the horrific rain of last week, my spa “died”. It turns out the fuse was tripped. We reset and Spa went on but after a few minutes it tripped the fuse again. A few days later T&D came. Of course the Spa went on, everything looked good and the technician left. A few hours later it tripped the fuse again.

T&D came back yesterday. The tech reset the breaker, gave us his cell number and told us to call him when it trips again. It worked all day and night and this morning it is dead again. Of course it’s now Sunday and I’m not sure if I should call him on what is probably his day off.

Regardless, I’m wondering is there someway to determine whether the problem is with the SPA or with the electricity?
This is something that should be handled only by a licensed electrician., You're no doubt going to have responses to your post by "experts". T&D has electricians (not sure if this is who came out, or if it was a pool tech). If the spa is still under warranty, escalate the next call with T&D and request one of their electricians...Rick is excellent. If not under warranty, call Pike's or Lenhart.

To answer your question, it could be the breaker, or an issue with the wiring. Neither of which you should explore on your own.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Is this an above ground or in ground SPA? The circuit breaker is a GFCI type, and will trip for any ground fault from the circuit breaker panel to the spa. There should be a disconnect box near the spa (I am assuming this is a 240 volt connection). If this got wet, it could be the cause of the problem. If this is an in ground spa, can you see if there is water sitting in the pit around the spa? If so, any small nick in any of the wiring could be causing the fault. If all of the side panels were not properly in place, some rain water may have gotten inside the unit. Mine has a solid base pan (with I assume drain holes, but I have never seen them), and if water were sitting in the pan, this could cause a fault with the wiring.
Now as mentioned above, you will need to have a suitably licensed technician work on this, I am a retired profession electrical engineer, and I doubt I would try this on my own spa. If you are interested, you can send me a PM, and I can tell you a few items to try which may locate the area where the problem is and may shorten your repair time. None of these require any electrical work.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Hi all,

One last note, its probably a good idea NOT to reset the breaker until an ELECTRICIAN can take a look at it to determine the problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
spa, tripped, fuse, i’m, call

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.