Invasion of the Body Snatchers (or What Happened to the Boomer Generation?)

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2021, 06:18 PM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts
Default Invasion of the Body Snatchers (or What Happened to the Boomer Generation?)

Remember the 1956 American science fiction horror film Invasion of the Body Snatchers starring Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter? The black-and-white film was done in a film noir style and is really creepy but the idea underneath the material is a lot scarier than anything you see.

Alien plant spores had fallen from space and grown into large seed pods, each one capable of producing a visually identical replacement copy of a human. The new human copies moved and thought together as a group. Many viewed it as an allegory for the loss of personal autonomy.

This brings me to my point. Whatever happened to the Baby Boomer/Woodstock generation? Were they victims of alien spores? Are they now living among us as pod people? The Baby Boomers used to question everything and especially anything the government and media told them.

Do NOT tell me, “We grew up”. Of course we did; we matured, we became a little less confrontational and we learned to bend a little. Some degree of conformity is necessary to get along in society but have we thrown out our ability for independent thinking along with our bell bottoms and tie dyed shirts?

Now comes a brand new virus. Fear & rumor run amok. Instead of our leaders and the media calming the public and speaking as a voice of reason, we continue to be bombarded daily with stories of death and measures we all must adhere to lest we get sick and join the daily published death count.

Constitutional rights were the first casualty of the virus... or was it the truth? Individual freedom was quickly proven to be just an illusion as the government mandated lockdowns, forced businesses into bankruptcy, banned travel and public gatherings.

My recent article dealt with the reasons I was not getting vaccinated & that people should really investigate the pros and cons rather than to blindly trust the government and the pharmaceutical industry. Rather than delve behind the curtain to sort out the real truth, it seems everyone is fighting over who gets to drink the Kool-Aid first.

Cancel culture is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles either online on social media, in the real world, or both. As an example, I posted the exact same article about vaccinations that appeared on this forum to “The Villages Friendly Folks” Facebook page only to have it removed by their administrators. The reason given was that I somehow violated their posting policies of no hate speech/bullying, no promotions or spam, and to respect others' privacy. Their feedback also included a quote from the WHO stating “Approved COVID-19 vaccines have been tested extensively for safety and effectiveness.”
Facebook and free speech are not compatible, I should know better.

I find there are three distinct psychological terms that apply to the general public and their behavior regarding COVID prevention and vaccination.

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome.

Compliance Theory is when you act the way you are “supposed” to act; either because you were directly asked, or pressured more indirectly

Complicity Theorist is a person who accepts the political narrative of the day unquestionably; consumes mainstream media; and is prone to submissiveness, outbursts of irrational fear, and public shaming of free-thinkers.

So either these terms apply to the masses (and not just to the Baby Boomers) or “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” has become a reality. I don’t know about you but I am checking the house for seed pods every night before bed!

David H. Dallas, RN-ASN, EMT-P, retired

“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.”
― Galileo Galilei
Old 02-21-2021, 06:47 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

actually the baby boomers are just fine and while you group them with the hippies because of age they had nothing in common.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post

Remember the 1956 American science fiction horror film Invasion of the Body Snatchers starring Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter? The black-and-white film was done in a film noir style and is really creepy but the idea underneath the material is a lot scarier than anything you see.

Alien plant spores had fallen from space and grown into large seed pods, each one capable of producing a visually identical replacement copy of a human. The new human copies moved and thought together as a group. Many viewed it as an allegory for the loss of personal autonomy.

This brings me to my point. Whatever happened to the Baby Boomer/Woodstock generation? Were they victims of alien spores? Are they now living among us as pod people? The Baby Boomers used to question everything and especially anything the government and media told them.

Do NOT tell me, “We grew up”. Of course we did; we matured, we became a little less confrontational and we learned to bend a little. Some degree of conformity is necessary to get along in society but have we thrown out our ability for independent thinking along with our bell bottoms and tie dyed shirts?

Now comes a brand new virus. Fear & rumor run amok. Instead of our leaders and the media calming the public and speaking as a voice of reason, we continue to be bombarded daily with stories of death and measures we all must adhere to lest we get sick and join the daily published death count.

Constitutional rights were the first casualty of the virus... or was it the truth? Individual freedom was quickly proven to be just an illusion as the government mandated lockdowns, forced businesses into bankruptcy, banned travel and public gatherings.

My recent article dealt with the reasons I was not getting vaccinated & that people should really investigate the pros and cons rather than to blindly trust the government and the pharmaceutical industry. Rather than delve behind the curtain to sort out the real truth, it seems everyone is fighting over who gets to drink the Kool-Aid first.

Cancel culture is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles either online on social media, in the real world, or both. As an example, I posted the exact same article about vaccinations that appeared on this forum to “The Villages Friendly Folks” Facebook page only to have it removed by their administrators. The reason given was that I somehow violated their posting policies of no hate speech/bullying, no promotions or spam, and to respect others' privacy. Their feedback also included a quote from the WHO stating “Approved COVID-19 vaccines have been tested extensively for safety and effectiveness.”

I find there are three distinct psychological terms that apply to the general public and their behavior regarding COVID prevention and vaccination.

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome.

Compliance Theory is when you act the way you are “supposed” to act; either because you were directly asked, or pressured more indirectly

Complicity Theorist is a person who accepts the political narrative of the day unquestionably; consumes mainstream media; and is prone to submissiveness, outbursts of irrational fear, and public shaming of free-thinkers.

So either these terms apply to the masses (and not just to the Baby Boomers) or “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” has become a reality. I don’t know about you but I am checking the house for seed pods every night before bed!

“In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.”
― Galileo Galilei
You make some good points. I often wonder where the outrage is as we continue to lose our right to free speech. The cancel culture has taken hold and there the push back is minimal. Our right to free speech is being assaulted everyday and people don’t seem to mind. Our culture is moving more toward the way it is in China. People can go on with their lives on a day to day basis with no problem. Just don’t say the wrong thing.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
You make some good points. I often wonder where the outrage is as we continue to lose our right to free speech. The cancel culture has taken hold and there the push back is minimal. Our right to free speech is being assaulted everyday and people don’t seem to mind. Our culture is moving more toward the way it is in China. People can go on with their lives on a day to day basis with no problem. Just don’t say the wrong thing.
But no one has taken away your right of free speech. You can say nearly anything you want without fear of being taken off the street and locked up. You can say nearly anything you want without finding yourself in court facing some penalty. You are free to say what you want.

What you aren't free from is others taking exception to what you said and and using their freedom of speech to object. You have the right to speak, you don't have the right to demand others agree with you.

That said, the cancel culture needs to stop. The lack of tolerance, the lack of even an attempt to understand one another is killing society and ruining our country. It needs to stop.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-21-2021, 08:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I disagree with the OP, about everything they have posted.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,057 Times in 2,742 Posts

Unfortunately, Father Time has snatched the best times of our bodies away from us : (
Old 02-21-2021, 11:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
actually the baby boomers are just fine and while you group them with the hippies because of age they had nothing in common.
Most hippies are/were baby boomers.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

As a young man full of hormones during the 60's, I didn't question my government, protest, or think revolution.
I just thanked the inventor of the 'Pill' and looked on that period as a chance to get my leg over more frequently!
Old 02-22-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I disagree with the OP, about everything they have posted.
I AGREE with the OP, about everything he has posted. So many folks are so afraid of getting the virus, reminds me of what I learned way back in high school, a quote from Julius Caesar: "Cowards die many times before their death....it seems to me most strange that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come".
The three best doctors in the world, "SUNSHINE, LAUGHTER AND EXERCISE".
Old 02-22-2021, 06:26 AM

History has no record of revolutions that are led by old people.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
But no one has taken away your right of free speech.
Corporations have. If you think we have free speech you’re not paying attention to what’s going on.

Many many people have been denied access to the following due to exercising their so-called “free speech” -

Flying
Banking
Social media platforms
Credit cards
Internet services (servers, access, etc.)
Jobs
I’m sure there are many many more

And this is just the beginning.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

I feel I very much still have my own rationale about everything. I read and listen to many opinions and scientific facts and make up my own mind as to how I will live my life. I have never been a sheep and can't imagine starting now.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrmauu View Post
Corporations have. If you think we have free speech you’re not paying attention to what’s going on.

Many many people have been denied access to the following due to exercising their so-called “free speech” -

Flying
Banking
Social media platforms
Credit cards
Internet services (servers, access, etc.)
Jobs
I’m sure there are many many more

And this is just the beginning.
Those that have been refused access to the services you mention, in most cases, never reached the monetary requirements to join a financial service, didn't have the best qualifications to get the job offered, or were just a PITA!
JMO.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post

― Galileo Galilei
I’m a baby boomer who still questions everything. I still wear jeans. I still believe in personal freedom and the so-called sexual revolution. (Which failed, alas.) I still remember my relief when Roe v. Wade was decided. I longed to go to Woodstock, but I was only fifteen and 1500 miles away.

But I cut off my long hair when I was 19 and got a sensible haircut that looked good on me, and I’ve kept it that way ever since. I got rid of the tie-died shirts I used to make and bought Oxford cloth buttondowns and even a suit I wore on dates. When I looked carefully at what the radicals and revolutionaries of my time were saying, I repudiated them. I questioned them and then I realized they were wrong and shunned them. I stopped calling police officers pigs. Wanting a clear head, I said no to smoking things. I studied science and medicine and learned to tell the difference between sound research and junk science. I studied mind control and propaganda and how the media work so I wouldn’t get fooled by those who want to fool me in order to have power over me. I learned how legislators work and why I need to not trust them at face value, while recognizing that they have been elected by us. I learned to recognize conspiracy theories as almost certainly false. I learned to avoid quack medicine while allowing certain alternatives. I learned that vaccinations are important and that they work. I learned a lot more about history and the Constitution than I knew in my more radical youth. I studied philosophy. I learned what the Founders meant by freedom of speech and its limits. Thus, when people claimed that their constitutional freedoms meant they didn’t have to follow a rule and wear a mask for their own good and the good of others, I realized that wasn’t a sound position. I realized that freedom of speech should not mean the freedom to spout lies and hatred in order to harm others.

In short, I’ve kept aspects of my early ideas and idealism that I got from others but gained in wisdom and insight. I grew up. I matured. I cringe when I think of some of the wild-eyed things I believed at 16. I like to think there are millions who would agree with me.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:50 AM

Someday there will be pushback but only when they start coming for people who have written on this thread!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
body, public, media, group, government

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.