Invasion of the Body Snatchers (or What Happened to the Boomer Generation?)

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
You make some good points. I often wonder where the outrage is as we continue to lose our right to free speech. The cancel culture has taken hold and there the push back is minimal. Our right to free speech is being assaulted everyday and people don’t seem to mind. Our culture is moving more toward the way it is in China. People can go on with their lives on a day to day basis with no problem. Just don’t say the wrong thing.
18 episodes of Muppets cancelled. What next, Mr. Rogers?
Old 02-22-2021, 06:51 AM

No matter what opinions one may have, another person may disagree with them which has obviously been a part of our society for so long it’s now the norm.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
No matter what opinions one may have, another person may disagree with them which has obviously been a part of our society for so long it’s now the norm.
Unfortunately some chose to listen to opposing opinions and some don't. It's those that don't, from both sides of the political spectrum, that are the problem.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:56 AM

Yeah! Go Florida! Live Free and Die! I ain’t gonna let nobody pee in my cornflakes! ⚰️⚱️
Old 02-22-2021, 07:03 AM

Well said Choko& Swing
Old 02-22-2021, 07:15 AM

"But no one has taken away your right of free speech. You can say nearly anything you want without fear of being taken off the street and locked up. You can say nearly anything you want without finding yourself in court facing some penalty. You are free to say what you want."

What was said above may be true for a retired person who has no threat of losing his job but for the rest of us, to speak up results in possible job loss. So, people are stifled. We count on the people who I refer to as those "with nothing to lose" to be the voice for the rest of us. Unfortunately, these are the ones who should be ending the fight and passing the torch so that they can live the rest of their days wearing rose-colored glasses.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
But no one has taken away your right of free speech. You can say nearly anything you want without fear of being taken off the street and locked up. You can say nearly anything you want without finding yourself in court facing some penalty. You are free to say what you want.

What you aren't free from is others taking exception to what you said and and using their freedom of speech to object. You have the right to speak, you don't have the right to demand others agree with you.

That said, the cancel culture needs to stop. The lack of tolerance, the lack of even an attempt to understand one another is killing society and ruining our country. It needs to stop.
You said "ssy nearly anything" two times. That doesn't look like free speech to me. Just sayin'...
Old 02-22-2021, 07:32 AM

I am a boomer born in 1947. In 1969 when I got off the plane in Oakland after surviving the last year in the Infantry in Vietnam first thing I realized was that it wasn't worth it . Too many people like the original poster.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:47 AM

Please both your body and mind have been snatched.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjko.z View Post
I often wonder where the outrage is as we continue to lose our right to free speech.
I’m curious. How has the government abridged your right to free speech? What will you be locked up for if you say it?

Are you referring to being locked out of social media for violating the terms of use? The Constitution’s First Amendment doesn’t apply to businesses or individuals. For instance, I don’t like it when people say racist things and I don’t have to associate with them. That’s not abridging someone’s right to free speech. BTW, I’m not saying you are a racist—this was just an example of my right to not have to associate with people I don’t like.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
You said "ssy nearly anything" two times. That doesn't look like free speech to me. Just sayin'...
I think GRITS was referring to rare exemptions like yelling “fire” in a crowded theater or saying you want to kill the president. But, saying you think the president is an idiot is fair game.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:06 AM

Fun intro! Sadly though you are correct but the truth is even darker & uglier. People desperately cling to ignorance to keep life easy (only for the moment) but really giving allowing themselves & future generations to be slaves. READ HISTORY! Tear off the ineffective masks and refuse the experimental gene therapy masking as a vaccine. BE an AMERICAN not a sheepeople!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:29 AM

We grew old but we'll never grow up!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
But no one has taken away your right of free speech. You can say nearly anything you want without fear of being taken off the street and locked up. You can say nearly anything you want without finding yourself in court facing some penalty. You are free to say what you want.

What you aren't free from is others taking exception to what you said and and using their freedom of speech to object. You have the right to speak, you don't have the right to demand others agree with you.

That said, the cancel culture needs to stop. The lack of tolerance, the lack of even an attempt to understand one another is killing society and ruining our country. It needs to stop.
The problem is when you don't agree. You face the danger of being labelled a racist, an anarchist, a domestic terrorist.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:42 AM

For a look back at boomer mentality get Paul Bourassa’s book “Boomerang”
He captures all those thoughts and feelings us boomers had. Paul live in The Villages before Che passed away last year.
Closed Thread

Tags
body, public, media, group, government

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.