Invasive Plant (Bamboo) planted by neighbor....

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2021, 04:14 PM
Veteran member
Default Invasive Plant (Bamboo) planted by neighbor....

My neighbor has planted bamboo in an area only a few feet from our property line. Recently the bamboo is sprouting and growing next to the slab of our home and a few feet out from our house. We have told the neighbor about this and even marked the area with orange marking paint. The person refuses to do anything about this. I have researched bamboo in FL and there is no law against planting it but there are current law suits being filed for property damage in FL. Bamboo is very invasive and if the roots grow under a slab they can in fact cause damage. Has anyone had this experience or experience with an invasive plant like this being planted and possibly causing damage to your property. Our next step is to contact an attorney. The roots on my property must be removed and a steel or concrete barrier installed in order to stop the growth. If that happens there will be expense that I intend to try and recoup through legal action.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Roundup…..
Full strength
Or
3 Ways to Kill Bamboo - wikiHow
Or
3 Easy Methods That Tell You How to Kill Bamboo Naturally - Gardenerdy
Or
Do Internet search…..even YouTube videos to help.
Good Lick

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 09-01-2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
My neighbor has planted bamboo in an area only a few feet from our property line. Recently the bamboo is sprouting and growing next to the slab of our home and a few feet out from our house. We have told the neighbor about this and even marked the area with orange marking paint. The person refuses to do anything about this. I have researched bamboo in FL and there is no law against planting it but there are current law suits being filed for property damage in FL. Bamboo is very invasive and if the roots grow under a slab they can in fact cause damage. Has anyone had this experience or experience with an invasive plant like this being planted and possibly causing damage to your property. Our next step is to contact an attorney. The roots on my property must be removed and a steel or concrete barrier installed in order to stop the growth. If that happens there will be expense that I intend to try and recoup through legal action.
We had our Clump Bamboo removed after several years growth. It spread in girth each year even through we cut off the new growth at ground level. It became our most expensive maintenance plant. There is another type of bamboo which is spreading bamboo and it goes all over the place.
For privacy, if that was your neighbors intent than are many wonderful shrubs that are not invasive.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:08 AM

I dont see it is their problem. If a bird carried seeds of something onto your property, then who's fault is it if an oak tree sprouts and damages your foundation? You need to spray on your property to kill it, but otherwise, since it is not illegal to plant oh well, too bad so sad. I suspect a lawyer will laugh you out of his office.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
I dont see it is their problem. If a bird carried seeds of something onto your property, then who's fault is it if an oak tree sprouts and damages your foundation? You need to spray on your property to kill it, but otherwise, since it is not illegal to plant oh well, too bad so sad. I suspect a lawyer will laugh you out of his office.
There are 2 types of bamboo. Clumping and running. Running does just that. Runs out of control any and everywhere. Maybe not their problem but unfortunate OP has to live next to “it’s not my problem” type of neighbor. Welcome to Florida’s friendliest hometown.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:21 AM

If its legal to plant, then again, it isnt their problem. I'd be more concerned about 'that neighbor' who wants me to bury a metal barrier between our properties. They sound like a gem to live next door to.
Old 09-02-2021, 06:29 AM

You said it was planted "a few feet" from the property line, check your deed restrictions to confirm it was planted to meet these restrictions. Call Communty Standards to confirm this and confirm they had the proper approval from ARC to plant at all.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Farmer View Post
You said it was planted "a few feet" from the property line, check your deed restrictions to confirm it was planted to meet these restrictions. Call Communty Standards to confirm this and confirm they had the proper approval from ARC to plant at all.
Approval not required to add plants to one’s property.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:27 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Anyone that plants bamboo on these size lots hates their neighbors. The worst of plants.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 759 Posts

You have a lifelong gardening project ahead of you.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

we opted out of going with bamboo because of the OP's issue

there's a lot of plants in FL that are not appropriate for these postage size lots

but folks buy 'em because home depot sells them
Old 09-02-2021, 08:02 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Cheaper than a lawyer, but then again you'll need someone to install it.
Amazon.com
Old 09-02-2021, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,146 Times in 2,245 Posts

Quote:
Try contacting master gardener, they may have some ideas for controlling the spread of this plant into your yard. Sorry for your situation.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

If it is the spreading bamboo, not the clumping variety, you really need to take action. If the neighbor is uncooperative, an attorney is your next option. I'm guessing the bamboo will have to be removed from the neighbor's yard, as well as your own, or it will constantly be spreading.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Would certainly be worth consulting an attorney if the do-it-yourself solutions do not work

If a branch from your neighbor's tree falls on to your roof I suspect you could get them to pay for the repairs

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 09-02-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
bamboo, property, invasive, damage, neighbor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.