Invasive Plant (Bamboo) planted by neighbor....

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2021, 03:00 PM

I had a neighbor that planted it along the fence. It grew through the fence and sent shoots underground and filled his whole small backyard. The kids couldn’t even walk on the grass anymore because sharp shoots from the bamboo were coming up everywhere. I think I called our association about a dozen times snd the police once when he threatened me for cutting the over the fence parts. I moved before it concluded fortunately. I was always cutting it on my side of the fence and he would get furious. He would say in broken English “youuuu cut my baomboo!
I don’t think this is allowed in the villages. Is it? It’s a nightmare situation if they grow it near your property. There are clumping varieties that don’t spread though too. But grow out of hand still in a place like Florida.

Last edited by Calisport; 09-02-2021 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:50 AM
Default Birds/Oak Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
I dont see it is their problem. If a bird carried seeds of something onto your property, then who's fault is it if an oak tree sprouts and damages your foundation? You need to spray on your property to kill it, but otherwise, since it is not illegal to plant oh well, too bad so sad. I suspect a lawyer will laugh you out of his office.
Not even remotely the same problem. This is a problem with an invasive plant that a neighbor planted too close to another person's property. I'd check with the DRC to see what solutions exist and if non do, I guarantee there would not be one bamboo stalk growing on my property. Do monkey's eat bamboo?
Old 09-03-2021, 05:11 AM
Default That’s right

Makes sense, what you say. Wish neighbors like the OP’s had more consideration. QUOTE=davem4616;1998143]we opted out of going with bamboo because of the OP's issue

there's a lot of plants in FL that are not appropriate for these postage size lots

but folks buy 'em because home depot sells them[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Ele201; 09-03-2021 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Need to delete. Thanks
Old 09-03-2021, 05:20 AM
Veteran member

A steel or plastic barrier is a standard method of controlling where bamboo can grow
Old 09-03-2021, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

you cannot kill bamboo with roundup or any other pesticide. I lived with the bamboo from my neighbors yard for 19 years ( running bamboo) and it did indeed destroy my driveway and came up all over my yard ( and under my pool). It is now illegal to plant running bamboo in that county and should be illegal here, too. Anyone who poo-poos this invasive plant such as Dotneko, has no idea the damage these plants can do. The only way to stop this is to dig a concrete divider ( about 18 inches) down into the soil. Cutting it down does NOTHING, it just grows back. Your neighbor who planted the bamboo is going to have the same problem himself. Good luck to you.....
Old 09-03-2021, 05:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
My neighbor has planted bamboo in an area only a few feet from our property line. Recently the bamboo is sprouting and growing next to the slab of our home and a few feet out from our house. We have told the neighbor about this and even marked the area with orange marking paint. The person refuses to do anything about this. I have researched bamboo in FL and there is no law against planting it but there are current law suits being filed for property damage in FL. Bamboo is very invasive and if the roots grow under a slab they can in fact cause damage. Has anyone had this experience or experience with an invasive plant like this being planted and possibly causing damage to your property. Our next step is to contact an attorney. The roots on my property must be removed and a steel or concrete barrier installed in order to stop the growth. If that happens there will be expense that I intend to try and recoup through legal action.
Real easy solution, go to Lowe’s and buy a spray container of roundup and that will kill the invasive bamboo on your side.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Real easy solution, go to Lowe’s and buy a spray container of roundup and that will kill the invasive bamboo on your side.
Roundup will not kill bamboo. There is one possibility but it is used only as a last resort due to the type of chemical.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:17 AM
Default Good Luck

It will spread everywhere the only way to Kill it is with Commercial grade Round Up but you need a landscaper license to purchase it, other wise it will take over and you'll never get rid of it .
Old 09-03-2021, 06:17 AM
Default Bamboo - boo!

Quote:
My neighbor has planted bamboo in an area only a few feet from our property line. Recently the bamboo is sprouting and growing next to the slab of our home and a few feet out from our house. We have told the neighbor about this and even marked the area with orange marking paint. The person refuses to do anything about this. I have researched bamboo in FL and there is no law against planting it but there are current law suits being filed for property damage in FL. Bamboo is very invasive and if the roots grow under a slab they can in fact cause damage. Has anyone had this experience or experience with an invasive plant like this being planted and possibly causing damage to your property. Our next step is to contact an attorney. The roots on my property must be removed and a steel or concrete barrier installed in order to stop the growth. If that happens there will be expense that I intend to try and recoup through legal action.
With all the problems that this plant can create with homeowners, it's amazing to me the Villages would allow bamboo to be planted anywhere within the venue.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:22 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
I dont see it is their problem. If a bird carried seeds of something onto your property, then who's fault is it if an oak tree sprouts and damages your foundation? You need to spray on your property to kill it, but otherwise, since it is not illegal to plant oh well, too bad so sad. I suspect a lawyer will laugh you out of his office.
Youre talking apples and oranges. They arent talking about bird seed or oak tree roots.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
My neighbor has planted bamboo in an area only a few feet from our property line. Recently the bamboo is sprouting and growing next to the slab of our home and a few feet out from our house. We have told the neighbor about this and even marked the area with orange marking paint. The person refuses to do anything about this. I have researched bamboo in FL and there is no law against planting it but there are current law suits being filed for property damage in FL. Bamboo is very invasive and if the roots grow under a slab they can in fact cause damage. Has anyone had this experience or experience with an invasive plant like this being planted and possibly causing damage to your property. Our next step is to contact an attorney. The roots on my property must be removed and a steel or concrete barrier installed in order to stop the growth. If that happens there will be expense that I intend to try and recoup through legal we are not allowed to have action.
I really doubt a neighbor is allowed to plant invasive bamboo! If residents are not allowed to have lawn ornaments, there must be some sanction against planting spreading bamboo. Bamboo can spread not only to your property but to The Villages common areas
Suggest you appeal through “the villages channels”
Old 09-03-2021, 06:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

If the plant was put in too close to the property line, you can probably report it. There should be no plant planted within three feet of the property line. This does not bode well for the future, however. Get a commercial landscaper to kill it for you. Anything over the property line should be fair game. Spend the money on a bamboo killer not an attorney, more effective.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:19 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
If the plant was put in too close to the property line, you can probably report it. There should be no plant planted within three feet of the property line. This does not bode well for the future, however. Get a commercial landscaper to kill it for you. Anything over the property line should be fair game. Spend the money on a bamboo killer not an attorney, more effective.
We have a friend here in TV that planted shrubs in his back yard for privacy. Well his neighbor complained to ARC. They came out and checked and it was 2" over the line. My friend had to pay to have it removed. Then he moved.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:23 AM
Platinum member
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
you cannot kill bamboo with roundup or any other pesticide. I lived with the bamboo from my neighbors yard for 19 years ( running bamboo) and it did indeed destroy my driveway and came up all over my yard ( and under my pool). It is now illegal to plant running bamboo in that county and should be illegal here, too. Anyone who poo-poos this invasive plant such as Dotneko, has no idea the damage these plants can do. The only way to stop this is to dig a concrete divider ( about 18 inches) down into the soil. Cutting it down does NOTHING, it just grows back. Your neighbor who planted the bamboo is going to have the same problem himself. Good luck to you.....
I agree. The only way to stop it is to put a concrete barrier or some type metal barrier down about 24". At your expense.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:32 AM

Sorry for your problem. Rather than pay for a lawyer you might call Deeds Restrictions and check the rules regarding how far from the property line plants may be planted. I think Deeds Restrictions has the final word regarding Villages rules. There are different rules in different villages and for different types of housing (courtyard villas vs detached homes). If there is curbing etc the distance requirement is even greater. Maybe a very strong weed killer should be used and hopefully it will leach onto the adjoining bamboo on the neighbors property and you won't be responsible for that :-) I don't like suggesting that but sometimes you have to meet fire with fire or these narcissistic neighbors never learn. Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
bamboo, property, invasive, damage, neighbor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.