Invasive Plant (Bamboo) planted by neighbor....

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2021, 04:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
Is there non-invasive bamboo?

My neighbor claims that the bamboo he has planted in the back yard is non-invasive. So far, it has not spread to my back yard. Could be telling me the truth or just a line?
There are 2 types. Clumping and running. They do exactly as the name states. Clumping bamboo is the “non-invasive” type. They’re all invasive but clumping will clump and running will run out of control and take over al much area as it can. Clumping shouldn’t pop up under your fence.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,490 Posts
Default Persoal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
There are 2 types. Clumping and running. They do exactly as the name states. Clumping bamboo is the “non-invasive” type. They’re all invasive but clumping will clump and running will run out of control and take over al much area as it can. Clumping shouldn’t pop up under your fence.
Love the look of bamboo and have had several kinds in the past. Last was "clumping" kind. The clumps will get larger and spread. Slowly, true, but it will grow and spread if not confined and kept in check. Owner of bamboo ( and OP) should keep an eye on it.
Good luck!
P. S. : It is a bear to remove if it gets overgrown, and be sure to dig out all the roots.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:47 AM

We planted bamboo in our Va. Beach home and had no problems. They are great for privacy.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
round up won’t kill bamboo…… lol I love people who rudely answer a post with an answer that’s not even an answer. Google bamboo and round up. Problem solved.
I did.

How to Control or Get Rid of Bamboo - Weeding Wisely
Old 09-13-2021, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
When ask about my neighbor says she planted the clumping kind of bamboo. Well it is running about fifteen feet over to my home. At this point I am having a landscaper look at the problem and probably take up around twenty square feet of sod, pull all stems, put down a barrier (that may or may not work) and treat with a very strong root killer that is carcinogenic. Any other suggestions appreciated.

growth-jpg

stem-jpg

Last edited by TimeForChange; 09-13-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Yes. The chemical is TRICHLOPYR. it is made by Bayer and I bought it at Lowe’s. It’s a systemic. Above instructions are correct. Apply it before the wound on the plant has time to heal. Be cautious with it and read package directions.
OP, you’ve received a lot of suggestions but you don’t seem to believe them. Why ask? Go ahead and hire your lawyer.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
OP, you’ve received a lot of suggestions but you don’t seem to believe them. Why ask? Go ahead and hire your lawyer.
It's not I don't believe them but that I have already checked out everyone and there were no new suggestions. I have a plan and it is going to cost a minimum of $1500.00 or perhaps even more depending on what they find under the sod. There is only one chemical mentioned here that will possibly stop the bamboo but without the barrier it will still grow. The $1500 will include a barrier. Try to get a landscaper to do a small job like this and see what kind of response you get. I can assure you I will try to recoup the expense.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforchange View Post
it's not i don't believe them but that i have already checked out everyone and there were no new suggestions. I have a plan and it is going to cost a minimum of $1500.00 or perhaps even more depending on what they find under the sod. There is only one chemical mentioned here that will possibly stop the bamboo but without the barrier it will still grow. The $1500 will include a barrier. Try to get a landscaper to do a small job like this and see what kind of response you get. I can assure you i will try to recoup the expense.
This what I am dealing with and it is growing under the slab of my home.

bamboo-jpg

Last edited by TimeForChange; 09-27-2021 at 11:34 AM. Reason: photo
Old 09-27-2021, 11:40 AM
Veteran member
Default This is another photo of the bamboo next to the house.

bamboo2-jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeforchange View Post
this what i am dealing with and it is growing under the slab of my home. There are four spots like this and three are touching the stucco. I hope it never happens to you. Regular roundup will not kill it. There is a chemical mentioned here that will retard it. I have to get this from under the slab or down the road i could have cracked stucco.
Attachment 90964
Closed Thread

Tags
bamboo, property, invasive, damage, neighbor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.