IRMA and lanai doors

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Default IRMA and lanai doors

With the heavy winds and rain anticipated, should we be worried about water getting into the house under or around the lanai sliding doors? Should we do anything to minimize this?
Old 09-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Rolled beach towels against the door sills.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Gold member
Default In my view

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGalMarti View Post
With the heavy winds and rain anticipated, should we be worried about water getting into the house under or around the lanai sliding doors? Should we do anything to minimize this?
The biggest issue is not any rain that will or might seep in but from flying debris smashing the glass,

The solution is to put tape on the glass BEFORE the storm. Tape will not stick once the glass is wet. First of all it makes the glass less likely to break and properly done even if the glass does break the glass will hold together and you will not have the full rain coming into your home.

As of this morning SPARRS the hardware and farm supply place across route 44-you can see it form publix in trsaverse centerm had plenty of duct tape-choice of colors. I would not tape to any painted surface surface because it will likely damage the paint.

PLEASE ALL OF YOU BRING IN ANYTHING AROUND YOUR PROPERTY THAT MIGHT GET BLOWN AWAY.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Sage
Default Do not tape

(AP) ORLANDO, Fla. - Officials with the National Hurricane Center had a message Tuesday for residents living in hurricane-prone areas: Don't tape your windows.

Center officials are joining with a consumer advocate group at the National Hurricane Conference in Orlando, Fla. this week to encourage residents to skip taping their windows when a hurricane is heading their way. They believe it leads to a false sense of security and actually increases danger.

Instead, residents should use proven methods such as hurricane shutters or impact-resistant windows, Bill Read, director of the National Hurricane Center, told hundreds of meteorologists and emergency management officials at the weeklong conference. Attendees are going to seminars on insurance policy and emergency communications as well as hawking hurricane-related wares such as canned food and building-hardening materials.

"Our goal is to break this myth," Read said, referring to taping. "It does not protect your windows. At best, it's an inconvenience. At worst, some people have the illusion that they're safe ... and people can get severely hurt."

Taping windows can create larger and deadlier shards of glass when winds blow through a home, said Leslie Chapman-Henderson, president and CEO of Federal Alliance for Safe Homes.

"The shards can become bigger because they're being held together," Chapman-Henderson said. "You're wasting your time. You're wasting your money and you're potentially increasing the danger to your home."

Old 09-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Well, crap.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Well, crap.
That is the closest thing to my opinion I have read this evening.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Some people speak with facts others just talk.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Thanks, Jimbo. I have read this before.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Well, crap.
I'd like to clarify my earlier post:
I have heard both tape/don't tape your windows. It is hard to know which is right when I heard diametrically opposing advice. Have been following all the threads trying to secure home and personal safety.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, doors, sliding, house, minimize

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.