Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs up It's about darned time!!

Golf ends the ridiculous viewer call-in rule
Quote:

Golf kills off the dumbest rule in sports: the tattletale viewer

And yet, that absurdity has been on the books, a legitimate option, in golf for years. Now, at long last, in the year 2017, golf’s governing bodies have finally seen the light: as of Jan. 1, viewers won’t be allowed to call in rules violations. A rules official will be on site to watch video broadcasts of the tournament, but the calls from whining, interfering viewers will go unanswered.

Not only that, players won’t get tagged with a two-stroke penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard even if they didn’t know it was incorrect when they signed it. Sing hallelujah! Raise a toast to sheer freaking common sense!

And yes, I get, follow and support the concept of... 'protecting the field.'

The problem I have always had with viewers calling in potential rules violations, is the fact that TV coverage is very limited and has no chance of showing every shot of each player...thereby setting up an unfair situation.

Therefore, that inequity is something that can never be fairly addressed...and only affects a small % of the field.

Now if golf's ruling bodies would add a simple rule that divots are considered 'ground under repair' (I mean shoot, that should be a no-brainer)...then another large wrong could be righted.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I totally agree. Too bad Lexi Thompson had to suffer the fate of an idiot tattletale viewer.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Glad to hear that rule was trashed. About time.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

When you have big money involved and you are following the rules on the honor system greed rears it ugly head. Golf has alway claimed to be gentleman's game maybe when it was first played by royals, but once money got involved the gentle game when out the window. IMO golf not like other pro sports you don't have official watching they're every stroke. Yes most are professional and honor the rules, but some lack talent and the money clouds they're vision.

I also hate when ball lying in divots, but part of the game just like when tennis shot hit the line and skips or hit hump in the court and bounces 3 foot higher than you expect. It's part of the game that has to be dealt with.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:20 AM
Gold member

I agree that the concept of "protecting the field" is important, but it's never the job of a TV viewer to protect the field. It's the job of the playing partner(s) to make sure an opponent doesn't get away with anything, intentional or not. The rule change is a very good one. My understanding is that the Lexi Thompson call-in was unusual, as the viewer was some kind of golf rules official who knew exactly how to contact the PGA. We civilians probably couldn't make a call or email that anyone in charge would ever see. Nevertheless, a good rule change.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Veteran member

Yea a real DA rule to beginwith
Closed Thread

Tags
rules, viewers, violations, bodies, field

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.