It's Hot, it's Humid and Nasty - Let's have a discussion

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2018, 03:22 PM

In my book of life's rules to live by... it contains the rule: "Never upset the cook before you have your meal" (actually mine is shortened to "Don't **** off the cook").

If for some reason you do not like the service (for whatever reason) don't fight it out with the person who will be soon making your food.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
In my book of life's rules to live by... it contains the rule: "Never upset the cook before you have your meal" (actually mine is shortened to "Don't **** off the cook").

If for some reason you do not like the service (for whatever reason) don't fight it out with the person who will be soon making your food.
Beware the kitchen's revenge!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
They got their five minutes of fame.

Speaking of weather, I have sweat dripping from places that shouldn't be dripping. Probably not getting any catcalls today...........Oh, wrong thread.
There's a right thread for that? What am I missing!
Old 06-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

This case isn’t the end of the issue. There are a few other cases going before the Supreme Court to decide whether civil rights or religious freedom will prevail. This was decided on a very limited basis — that a government entity cannot ignore religious beliefs (a commissioner made some disparaging remarks about religion when ruling that the baker should in fact have baked the cake.

Given the logic that it is okay to refuse to bake a cake, photograph a wedding, etc. due to the sexual preferences of the couple, does that mean the baker can refuse an interracial couple? Or a black couple? How about if they don’t speak English? What if they’re Catholic? The Civil Rights Act was created for a reason. LGBT people are to be accorded the same rights as you or me. So, if he’s selling to the public, why should he be able to discriminate and other companies can’t?

As to the gay couple just going to another baker, why should they and why should they shut up? Originally, they didn’t file a civil suit against the baker, they went to a local commission to have it rule whether this was discrimination. The commission said it was. The baker appealed. The ACLU appeared for the gay couple. So, they should just keep quiet and accept discrimination? I’m missing something or you guys are.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Old folks convertible road rally yesterday - had to put the heater on. Also the furnace went on here in the Adirondack's last two nights. I'll just have to suffer. It is 55 degrees now at 1:30 pm. Think I'm going to light a fire.
Went to the pool today. According to my weather app, it’s 91, with a heat index of 105. How is that possible so early in June?!

PS. Am ignoring any political commentary.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Sage

IMHO the case was a set up, just as was the shakedown case that cost The Villages the Life long Learning College. Those two homosexuals entered that bakery to force a baker to violate his religious beliefs. They wanted their rights to take precedence over his rights. As for the ACLU, I find it revealing that it chose to back the homosexuals' "right" to force a baker to provide a homosexual wedding cake over his right to follow his religious beliefs in his business in a state in which same sex marriage may not be recognized or maybe even legal.

The two men got married in Massachusetts where same sex marriage is legal but wanted the cake baked in Colorado for their reception in Colorado where same sex marriage may not be recognized or legal? The whole story smells.

It's like going to a kosher deli and asking for a ham sandwich and a glass of milk!

Ridiculous lawsuits seem to be quite the trend these days. Man sues hundreds over disability violations | abc7.com

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-04-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
This case isn’t the end of the issue. There are a few other cases going before the Supreme Court to decide whether civil rights or religious freedom will prevail. This was decided on a very limited basis — that a government entity cannot ignore religious beliefs (a commissioner made some disparaging remarks about religion when ruling that the baker should in fact have baked the cake.

Given the logic that it is okay to refuse to bake a cake, photograph a wedding, etc. due to the sexual preferences of the couple, does that mean the baker can refuse an interracial couple? Or a black couple? How about if they don’t speak English? What if they’re Catholic? The Civil Rights Act was created for a reason. LGBT people are to be accorded the same rights as you or me. So, if he’s selling to the public, why should he be able to discriminate and other companies can’t?

As to the gay couple just going to another baker, why should they and why should they shut up? Originally, they didn’t file a civil suit against the baker, they went to a local commission to have it rule whether this was discrimination. The commission said it was. The baker appealed. The ACLU appeared for the gay couple. So, they should just keep quiet and accept discrimination? I’m missing something or you guys are.
You are not missing a thing
Old 06-04-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:

The "local commission" was not elected. They appointed themselves.

Their views are meaningless legally or otherwise.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
The "local commission" was not elected. They appointed themselves.

Their views are meaningless legally or otherwise.
No wonder the commission treated that baker so miserably. It is a kangaroo court with an agenda!

Colorado Civil Rights Commissioners

Anthony Aragon, Democrat, Representing State or Local Government Entities, Denver (term expires: 3/16/19)
Miguel "Michael" Rene Elias, Republican, Representing Community at Large, Pueblo (term expires: 3/13/20)
Carol Fabrizio, Unaffiliated, Representing Business, Denver (term expires: 3/16/19)
Charles Garcia, Democrat, Representing Community at Large, Denver (term expires: 3/13/21)
Rita Lewis, Democrat, Representing Small Business, Denver (term expires: 3/16/19)
Jessica Pocock, Unaffiliated, Representing Community at Large, Colorado Springs (term expires: 3/13/20)
About the Commission

Commissioners are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the state Senate to serve four-year terms. They are selected from across Colorado and represent both political parties. Two commissioners represent business (one of whom represents small business), two represent government, and three represent the community at large. At least four of the commissioners are members of groups who have been or might be discriminated against because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or age.

As for the governor who appoints the members of this commission, Colorado has legalized marijuana. As a result all sorts of problems such as increasing vehicular deaths are resulting and he is lying to cover up the mess.

Governor Hickenlooper is dead wrong about pot in Colorado

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-04-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
"Don't **** off the cook").
That's why I don't send back anything to the kitchen.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Paraphrasing part of the opinion by the majority judge. Forcing the baker to bake a cake would be equal to forcing an artist to paint a picture. There is a creative process involved, which is different from most discrimination cases where all things are equal.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:

You're blurring the lines in your post.....the decision was based on religious beliefs, refusing a black couple, a non-english speaking couple etc has no basis in religion. It was a narrow decision, let it be that rather than trying to expand it into an area that was not part of, or relates to, the decision.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-04-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Beware the kitchen's revenge!
Yes, beware! One of my sons worked in a restaurant kitchen when he was in high school. He told us that if a customer ticked off a waitress, cook, etc., his food would be spit upon and then delivered to him. After I learned about this, I always took great care to never complain to any of the help. If it was bad enough, I did not return to that restaurant.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Paraphrasing part of the opinion by the majority judge. Forcing the baker to bake a cake would be equal to forcing an artist to paint a picture. There is a creative process involved, which is different from most discrimination cases where all things are equal.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
You're blurring the lines in your post.....the decision was based on religious beliefs, refusing a black couple, a non-english speaking couple etc has no basis in religion. It was a narrow decision, let it be that rather than trying to expand it into an area that was not part of, or relates to, the decision.

I agree with you. Whether or not people agree with his religious convictions, they are his religious convictions and they are not illegal.

Tags
case, supreme, bake, interest, cake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.