It's The Law

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2020, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Drivers going 45-50 in the left lane on Buena Vista......get no respect from me.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Drivers going 45-50 in the left lane on Buena Vista......get no respect from me.
From me either

But drivers going 20 in the left lane get even less
Old 01-19-2020, 06:38 AM
Default Driving skills

I've been here four years and have found driving skills don't exist here. I was here only two weeks when I was T- Boned and rear ended because a woman decided to stop dead in the middle of the road for paper. I moved into the breakdown lane where I was hit and stopped. It seems as we get older we fail to do the simple things mentioned here in the article including putting your signal light on or not shutting it off. Find driving here like being in a demolition derby. To survive when driving you need to think stupid because that's how some drive here. Even in parking lots backing up people will walk behind you when backing up. Grrrr.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Stay right

Obeying this law will help to reduce road rage by being considerate and moving over to the right to let faster traffic by.
Below is a brief excerpt of the law along with the link:
316.081 Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions.—
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway;
Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

Remember drive right, unless passing.
While a noble effort, good luck on getting through to those who know exactly what they're doing by running in the left lane...as it gives them a "feeling of power."
Old 01-19-2020, 07:54 AM

Are we talking about "in town" driving or on a 4 lane divided highway? How do you know somebody doesn't need to turn left in 1/2 of a mile?
Old 01-19-2020, 08:45 AM

I'm with you Tommy, we've had similar experiences including being re-ended at a traffic light. But it was by a young woman (late teens early twenties).
Old 01-19-2020, 09:21 AM
Default Another viewpoint

FYI, there are MANY people in the areas surrounding the Villages that go WAY out of their way to avoid the nightmare of driving through TV.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

This worn out topic comes up every couple of months here.

The hypocrisy of the people who want to speed, pointing out the law breakers who travel in the left lane, not moving over.

And to the poster who mentioned those in the left lane possibly wanting to make a left turn in the near future, I'm sure one of the many experts here will weigh in and give you their sage advice.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:19 PM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You also have to move to the left, if safe, when there's an emergency vehicle or police pulled over to the side of the road or for sanitation vehicles and some other thing. If you can't move to the left (if no one will allow you to get in the other lane) then you have to slow down so you're going 20mph slower than the posted speed limit. That's a fairly new law.
I actually got a ticket for this even though I did move left. The officer said I should have slowed down too. I considered fighting it but decided to pay it and do the online course to avoid the points. At any rate, I now move left AND slow down to avoid any more issues with officers having a bad day.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Stay right

Obeying this law will help to reduce road rage by being considerate and moving over to the right to let faster traffic by.
Below is a brief excerpt of the law along with the link:
316.081 Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions.—
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway;
Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

Remember drive right, unless passing.
I noticed d (3) not listed which basically says if not impeding traffic you don’t have get out of the left lane. Right lane only NEVER going to happen why you got more than one lane cause of heavily traveled highway. You will never get ticket in the left lane UNLESS you are impeding traffic flow and odds of getting ticket slim to none. Yes, we should follow the law and move over if some own want to go faster. It’s not our job to control speed limit. Move over when faster traffic comes up behind you.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMMY D View Post
I've been here four years and have found driving skills don't exist here. I was here only two weeks when I was T- Boned and rear ended because a woman decided to stop dead in the middle of the road for paper. I moved into the breakdown lane where I was hit and stopped. It seems as we get older we fail to do the simple things mentioned here in the article including putting your signal light on or not shutting it off. Find driving here like being in a demolition derby. To survive when driving you need to think stupid because that's how some drive here. Even in parking lots backing up people will walk behind you when backing up. Grrrr.
Agree, but

So, where do you think they got their driving skills before they got here?

Some people CANT drive and never should of been giving drivers license. Just yesterday I yielded to traffic in the roundabout and car completely stopped in the roundabout with no one in front or behind them. I guess thought I had the right of way? Who knows? I honked my horn and waived them to MOVE.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
If you’re not going 40 in the right lane you’re leading train. Left lane 45 is probably minimum unless LEO hiding by polo grounds. The you see the sea of brake lights pop on.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:15 PM

I can deal with any of that, but I sure wish turn signals would make a comeback!
Old 01-19-2020, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloveday View Post
FYI, there are MANY people in the areas surrounding the Villages that go WAY out of their way to avoid the nightmare of driving through TV.
Please define "many".
I hope a lot more avoid TV, cuts down on congestion...….
Old 01-19-2020, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

There are also those weird stretches of road on 441 where the right lane has a right arrow painted on it, indicating that it's a right-turn-only lane.

That's fine, but that lane is over a mile long. If you know you'll need to turn right in 3/4 of a mile, and there's traffic, is it acceptable to get into that lane immediately and continue driving in it until your turn comes? Or are you required to stay out of it until you're just a block away from the turn? Or do you have to wait until you pass the "last traffic light before the turn" before you can get into it?

I usually start looking to get into that lane as soon as I see that the traffic is starting to build up. Reason being: I don't want to be stuck in one of the other lanes and not be ABLE to pull to the right, when I need to actually take a right.
Closed Thread

Tags
law, drive, passing, vehicle, direction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.