Jail!

Closed Thread
Old 10-04-2021, 12:46 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts
Default Jail!

For a little while, I thought I had somehow landed in the infamous 'Facebook Jail' for some reason this morning. Instead, apparently FB/Instagram/WhatsApp went down unexpectedly today. While the common sense part of me says it has nothing to do with the recent interview with a former Facebook executives accusation that regarding its policy, actions and logarithms, they prioritize profit over harm, the Gibb's part of me reminds me of his Rule 39 that says - "There is no such thing as a coincidence." LOL

Facebook, Instagram Go Down Simultaneously - The New York Times

Frances Haugen on 60 Minutes: Why the Facebook whistleblower leak is different from its other PR crises - Vox
Old 10-04-2021, 01:18 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

No loss
Old 10-04-2021, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

I can't decide how I feel about the interview and the FB situation. Isn't the FB algorithm doing exactly what we want it to do and showing us the things we are interested in? Who gets to decide that this topic is dangerous to society and should be minimized or blocked?

FB uses "push" technology to put things in front of us. FB fills our pages with things it believes we are interested in. Google uses "pull" technology, it generates pages of results based on the interests we describe with our queries. If it is somehow wrong for FB to fill our pages with items that may be harmful to society, wouldn't it also be wrong for Google to return those same results?

Do we really want FB or Google to filter out items or results or articles that have the potential to be harmful to society if presented to the wrong individuals? If we do, who determines what is harmful and who should be allowed to see it?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 10-04-2021, 02:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I can't decide how I feel about the interview and the FB situation. Isn't the FB algorithm doing exactly what we want it to do and showing us the things we are interested in? Who gets to decide that this topic is dangerous to society and should be minimized or blocked?

FB uses "push" technology to put things in front of us. FB fills our pages with things it believes we are interested in. Google uses "pull" technology, it generates pages of results based on the interests we describe with our queries. If it is somehow wrong for FB to fill our pages with items that may be harmful to society, wouldn't it also be wrong for Google to return those same results?

Do we really want FB or Google to filter out items or results or articles that have the potential to be harmful to society if presented to the wrong individuals? If we do, who determines what is harmful and who should be allowed to see it?
I too, am a bit ambivalent about the whole issue (even though they are private businesses and the 1A doesn't apply). I can see both sides, but am a little concerned at the vast number of highly gullible people out there, that might take outrageous lies as the gospel and what might ensue because of them. I would guess that since the laws on the books are so woefully outdated, compared to where the technology currently sits, that the SCOTUS will be addressing a number of these types of issues in the coming years.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

“might take”?
More like, have taken and are taking!
Old 10-04-2021, 03:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

It is nice to not have to go Like all the silly Memes on my feed for a little while. A welcome break. I heard FB is not saying what happened, I expect they have been hacked. Couldn't happen to a more deserving company
Old 10-04-2021, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,245 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
It is nice to not have to go Like all the silly Memes on my feed for a little while. A welcome break. I heard FB is not saying what happened, I expect they have been hacked. Couldn't happen to a more deserving company
Hacked? Doubtful...

More likely they shut it down because of the recent upcoming hearings... Doing a bit of "muscle flexing"...

Oh, and not to worry, I'll post plenty of pics, memes and gifs, just so you won't miss them! LOL!

-Tom Petty
Old 10-04-2021, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
You can come here and get plenty of memes..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Little green men have taken over.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:33 PM

I hope they are down for good. They do nothing but censor the truth and spread lies and disinformation.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:00 PM
Default Agree with “Getreal”

Hope it is down for good but evil never seems to go away.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Zuch lost about $7,000,000,000 on paper today. Oops.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-04-2021, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Never been on Facebook but I love my WhatsApp I have many friends around world I use it quite a bit , never saw the need for Facebook but I’m in a small minority who don’t use it I guess because i don’t care what lost girlfriends are doing and if there single .I like human contact much better and yes I know Facebook is much more but I really don’t care , I haven’t felt like I’m missing anything and besides 40 years of 3rd world hot spots I’m sure I have more then a few people who still don’t like me lol
Old 10-04-2021, 06:23 PM
Gold member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Zuch lost about $7,000,000,000 on paper today. Oops.
Now ONLY being worth (on paper) about $120BILLION after today's paper losses, poor Zuck will be forced to shop at the Salvation Army pretty soon. LOL
Old 10-04-2021, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,245 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Now ONLY being worth (on paper) about $120BILLION after today's paper losses, poor Zuck will be forced to shop at the Salvation Army pretty soon. LOL
Yeah, but it's $7 BILLION he won't be taxed on...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
jail, part, facebook, prioritize, logarithms

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.