Join me on TOTV on Facebook.

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Join me on TOTV on Facebook.

You have to reveal your real name but it is very interesting to be able to really communicate.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Sorry Gracie, I consider Facebook to be one of the biggest security threats in existence and I refuse to use it, so I will stay here.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

There are lots of TOTVers who have gone pretty much over to just using Facebook or for most of their interactions online.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Sorry Gracie, I consider Facebook to be one of the biggest security threats in existence and I refuse to use it, so I will stay here.
Some just don't listen, or learn or, I suppose...care
Old 01-26-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage

Like many who post on this Forum, many also enjoy Facebook. It keeps us up on news and activities from family who live far away and are not close relatives. It also connects us to old school and work friends and others who we have enjoyed knowing over the course of our lives.. If you know the rules of the internet it is very safe.

It is a source of laughter and debate, and the exchange of differing opinions. It is a way to support others through hard times and to learn all kinds of amazing things.

It is the source of breaking news and news sources can be chosen to read. If you see something controversial or angry making the post can be hidden from your view without hurting the posters feelings. You can choose to be friends or not or follow friends or not.

It is a connecting device for the human race and a way to stay current and involved with people you love.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Like many who post on this Forum, many also enjoy Facebook. It keeps us up on news and activities from family who live far away and are not close relatives. It also connects us to old school and work friends and others who we have enjoyed knowing over the course of our lives.. If you know the rules of the internet it is very safe.

It is a source of laughter and debate, and the exchange of differing opinions. It is a way to support others through hard times and to learn all kinds of amazing things.

It is the source of breaking news and news sources can be chosen to read. If you see something controversial or angry making the post can be hidden from your view without hurting the posters feelings. You can choose to be friends or not or follow friends or not.

It is a connecting device for the human race and a way to stay current and involved with people you love.
It does have problems but I love Facebook as you have a lot of control over who gets onto your page even if it is sometimes hard to tell friend from foe. But that applies to almost any situation where you meet strangers or people from your past who could have changed a great deal.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

I will join you on facebook! Sent you pm. See you there too!
Old 01-26-2019, 09:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Villagetinker, I'm with you 100%. Anyone on Facebook is taking a giant risk, as the people that run it have no qualms about using you and your data to further their own agendas in myriad ways. Remember, even if you delete your Facebook account, they still have their hooks in you.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Villagetinker, I'm with you 100%. Anyone on Facebook is taking a giant risk, as the people that run it have no qualms about using you and your data to further their own agendas in myriad ways. Remember, even if you delete your Facebook account, they still have their hooks in you.
That is sadly true on Facebook or any public exchange. The owners of this Forum know your computer numbers. They have the power to ban you here and ban you again with a new screen name. Some posters are more devious than others and return under new names but usually can be filtered out.

I like to know who I am talking to. Those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing. At least that is what Dr. Phil says.

YOU must know the safety rules of the internet in all ways you interact on the internet. Or you can have your identity stolen. Change your password regularly. Always log directly on to a site.

As for Facebook and the "recent unpleasantness", I think it is much improved. A little sunlight on a problem is a good thing. Aside from the owner of Facebook being an unabashed...……… YOUNG Person with all that entails, I don't think anyone is watching me or using my information to harm me. You have an opportunity to turn in "Fake News" or sources you deem questionable on Facebook.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:20 AM
Sage

Zuckerberg: Facebook users can'''t control how data is used for security | Fox Business

Facebook says security flaw in 50 million accounts let hackers take over profiles
Old 01-26-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage

Inside Facebook’s Secret Rulebook for Global Political Speech - The New York Times
Old 01-26-2019, 09:57 AM
TOTV Moderator

Reminder...the topic was the TOTV Facebook page as an alternative, non anonymous, means to communicate.

Let's not turn this into a general pro/con Facebook thread that could derail into a political discussion.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:17 AM

I'm not a frequent contributor but I enjoy the discussions here on TOTV and always Gracie comments. Like Tinker we have chosen not to join Facebook. I suggest users and non-users alike watch the PBS Frontline documentary "The Facebook Delimma". It is 2 parts and can be found on Roku PBS channel. Eye opening.....
Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Sage

As I was saying, TOTV has a Facebook Page. I am very glad for that.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:15 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
That’s why I were a Tinfoil hat when I am on the internet.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Closed Thread

Tags
interesting, communicate, real, facebook, totv

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.