Join me on TOTV on Facebook.

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
As I was saying, TOTV has a Facebook Page. I am very glad for that.
I do like things on it once in a while. The Villages Daily Sun and many other companies, restaurants, entertainers, and the like connected to the Villages have Facebook pages.

I think I friended Graciegirl on Facebook at some point but then unfriended her because of some of the other people I saw she had as friends whom I did not want connected to my Facebook page.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 01-26-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I do like things on it once in a while. The Villages Daily Sun and many other companies, restaurants, entertainers. and the like connected to the Villages have Facebook pages.

I think I friended Graciegirl on Facebook at some point but then unfriended her because of some of the other people I saw she had as friends whom I did not want connected to my Facebook page.
All you have to do is friend me again.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:20 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default A Dissertation on Why I Will Not Be On Facebook (but that's just me)

Quote:
You have to reveal your real name but it is very interesting to be able to really communicate.

No thanks.

I agree with villagetinker about not wanting to compromise privacy any more than it already is. (I get so tired of being followed around by sites where I online shop.) But for me, not choosing to be on Facebook goes beyond that.

As is obvious by my join date, I have been around here forever. My number of posts is still in 4 digits, but even at that, I feel like I can take up too much time here on some days. TOTV is my version of doing crossword puzzles or needlepoint in that it is a little hobby or something like that. If I give in to FB, I know it could take up way too much time. I do have things to do and friends I can actually make eye contact with. I would descend into the maelstrom if I were on Facebook -- just like when I bring a pint of Graeter's chocolate chip or Haagan- Dazs rum raisin into the house, pretending that, this time, I will not eat the whole pint in one sitting. ('Sitting' is the operative word there. FB would make it worse.)

I have revealed a few things on TOTV that I guess let readers know something about me. Those things are made known by my choice.

But I try to be careful because, in this world of everything hanging out, I also know of those who take others' private information and act like it is their own by posting tidbits publicly. I guess they have a need to try to appear to be in-the-know. That bothers me.

I have been taken to task by old friends for not wanting (or needing) to be on Facebook. But they still like me. I think.

I also do not understand the extensive cyber friends thing that happens online. (I had to ask Mr. Tony to explain it to me when it first showed up here on TOTV.)

And I do not like that routine with the thumbs going whichever direction. I think that comes from FB, not sure. But, darn it, if you like or dislike something, at least write an original sentence explaining why.

And, excessive linking makes me crazy. I bet sometimes people do not completely read what they link.

To me, excessive linking looks like an attempt at nothing more than a leaflet drop. Geez. Form and communicate an original thought once in a while. Then cite carefully chosen sources and use them for backup if you want to.

Also, I really am not into the Facebook Lives of others. And I am sure nobody cares where I went or what I had for dinner.

As you can see I am a dinosaur who finds more reasons not to be on Facebook that to be on Facebook.

Anyway, I know who I am. In fact, I have been told that. (Once it was some guy who was turning himself inside out trying to sell me an annuity. I had asked him way too many questions when he said, "You know who you are, don't you." -- I thanked him for noticing.) But I digress.

So, yes, I know who I am. I am a dinosaur who cannot comprehend Facebook.

Anyway, I am not judging anybody who likes FB. Have fun.

But --

I remain,
Boomerosaurus

Last edited by Boomer; 01-26-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: a glaring, late caught typo
Old 01-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
All you have to do is friend me again.
We will see. There are a number of people formerly on TOTV whom I would not want to get access to my Facebook page. I have had a lot of problems with these people in the past and past behavior is usually a good predictor of future actions. These are mainly the people on my IGNORE list on TOTV.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Go Boomer, Go Boomer..

To avoid doing a leaflet drop I pretty much agree with everything you said. I like having somewhat control over what goes out there. I've never FB'd, Twitted, MySpaced, Instagrammed or any of the others.

Granted, I probably spend too much time on this site doing NOTHING but I consider it research for my future retirement.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Go Boomer, Go Boomer..

To avoid doing a leaflet drop I pretty much agree with everything you said. I like having somewhat control over what goes out there. I've never FB'd, Twitted, MySpaced, Instagrammed or any of the others.

Granted, I probably spend too much time on this site doing NOTHING but I consider it research for my future retirement.. lol
Actually there are millions of things to do in the Villages once you get here and not for NOTHING.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

"Anyone on Facebook is taking a giant risk, as the people that run it have no qualms about using you and your data to further their own agendas in myriad ways."

The key is not to put your personal data up there - just use it as a tool for information and social interaction.

Like TOTV, you do not need to use your real name or date of birth to set up an account.

Problems arise when people feel the need to announce their private business, then get upset when others know about it.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Snip>...
But I try to be careful because, in this world of everything hanging out, I also know of those who take others' private information and act like it is their own by posting tidbits publicly. I guess they have a need to try to appear to be in-the-know. That bothers me....

And I do not like that routine with the thumbs going whichever direction. I think that comes from FB, not sure. But, darn it, if you like or dislike something, at least write an original sentence explaining why...<Snip

I remain,
Boomerosaurus

I like this post, because it gets to the heart of those addicted to that personality trait that has been around...since time immemorial. (lol)

Pure, unabashed...nosiness.

I'm also in the process of trying to narrow down the plethora of links that support my position to just one, but with so many legitimate, scientific and peer reviewed studies out there to choose from...it's proving to be quite the challenge.

So I'll keep working on that...'Ms. Nailed It Again Boomer.'

Old 01-26-2019, 01:22 PM
TOTV Moderator

This thread is about TOTV’s presence on Facebook. A mod comment was posted warning to keep posts about that subject and not Facebook pros/cons. Unfortunately, posts have continued in that vein, so the thread is now closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
interesting, communicate, real, facebook, totv

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.