July 6th - day to go down in history

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2021, 08:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Because sometimes they're not spam at all. FloridaBlue agents always show up on my caller ID as either "unknown" or "suspected spam." That's because they are working from home, and FloridaBlue gives them a burner phone to use. Burner phones always show up that way on caller ID because the phone number doesn't belong to any one specific person, and it's not a business line attached to the business it's for.

If it's from a Florida area code, I answer the phone. If it's from Connecticut and I don't recognize the number, I just reject and block it. Ohio - reject and block. Wisconsin - reject and block. I know folks everywhere else in the country and two in India, one in Japan, several in the UK, one in China, and one in Malaysia. So I pick up just in case it's one of them. They have my number but we never talk on the phone, so I never put them into my call list.
I get frequent calls from the VA, sadly they all show a caller ID of Unknown. I have spoken with them about this, but the people doing the calling have nothing to do with the telephone system and said they will pass it on, but they have "passed it on" for a long time now.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Well, maybe. But it was the day legislation aimed at curbing robot spam telephone calls went into effect.

It seems I have seen a reduction in spam calls, but I am not sure. Before I was getting maybe 5 or 6 a day, now it seems like I am down to 1 or 2. Hopefully! But it might be too soon to declare victory.

How about you, have you noticed a reduction in spam calls?
Not going to happen. They will find way around it.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:20 AM

I WISH that CVS PHARMACY would quit calling me to tell me that I could get my prescriptions in 3 month supplies. I have tried calling them, to no avail.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:20 AM

If you break down and sitting on the side of the road and no one stops to help. Remember you were warned about your cars extended warranty.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:40 AM

I hope email spam is the next project. Imagine how nice it would be not having to deal with that.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
The only way to end spam calls is for the law to require prosecution and mandatory prison time for the owners of the spam organization. Ban all call centers and make it a felony to operate one. I'll even go so far as to designate them as Domestic Terrorists. The current laws have no teeth and are nothing but mental Pablum for the unwashed masses dished out by the politicians to make it look like they are doing something.
The call centers are in India and the operators are Chinese. How about throwing the boards of directors of AT&T and Verizon in the cooler for carrying the spam calls?
Old 07-09-2021, 05:50 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

I am lonely nowadays without all those phone calls. About time.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Well, maybe. But it was the day legislation aimed at curbing robot spam telephone calls went into effect.

It seems I have seen a reduction in spam calls, but I am not sure. Before I was getting maybe 5 or 6 a day, now it seems like I am down to 1 or 2. Hopefully! But it might be too soon to declare victory.

No reduction YET. I have over 550 BLOCKED numbers on my phone, but keep getting calls drom Medicare Rewards, car warranty company and Solar company. I have a “spam blocker” on my phone, so it doesn’t actually ring. My outgoing message on my phone is: “Thank you for calling, if you are calling from Medicare Rewards, what do you think your mother would think about you scamming seniors? If you are calling from anywhere else, please leave a message and I will call you back.” It doesn’t work though, because when they call and my phone answers and starts the message, I will be talking to a robot voice. About 350 of my blocked numbers are from that company. They must have unlimited numbers to call from.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Spam

Most of the companies will switch over to India and Pakistan to originate calls as they can't get fined in a different country. However if we send over a few cruise missiles that might help

Quote:

Old 07-09-2021, 06:33 AM

Noooooo. I couldn’t be about the money.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:

We’ve had an increase, especially from “Comcast verified” numbers.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:59 AM

I was getting 4-5 a day on my cell and haven't gotten ANY this week!!
Old 07-09-2021, 08:01 AM

Just bought new AT&T 5 phone wireless and answering system and a feature on it has a recording that say (what ever name we want) says to press # to continue on. Darn I think this works. Last few days very few calls and I still don’t own my 68 Pontiac Lemans.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Unsure how this happens, but my iPhone silences any call that appears suspicious. Perhaps it’s any call that isn’t in my contacts or those that I haven’t personally called like someone in the trades. It really does reduce the annoying spam calls, so hope that this feature continues.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:29 AM
Default AT&T/Direct TV calls

Quote:

We get calls from AT&T/Direct TV everyday on our home line and both cell phones even though we called them, asked them to stop and they said they would. We still get 3 or 4 spam calls everyday, one about fraud on our Amazon store card(I guess they aren't smart enough to think that all we have to do is look at our account to know better), car warranties and so on. Haven't heard the old SSN scam in awhile. Of course, we have call screening and block every number possible but they just switch numbers somehow. The AT&T one skips the telephone ring and goes right into our VM somehow. Thinking about contacting an attorney to file a suit against AT&T but that would probably be a losing proposition. We haven't had an AT&T or Direct TV account in years so they are not supposed to call us unless we do. Frustrating. Just hope our blocking systems don't run out of space!

Tags
spam, calls, day, reduction, declare

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.