Jury Duty Again in Bushnell.

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2018, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Default Calling in ALL Prospective Jurors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I will have to call the Sumter County Court number for Jury Service to see if I would have been called. It is close to 200.

The instructions say to call a certain number tonight after 5 PM.

The Judge excused me due to taking care of some of my family members.

I would have liked to have served but we would have had to hire a nurse to come in and deal with stuff a few times a day.
I just called the numbers for the prospective jurors for this trial season and the recorded message said that they need all the jurors. Not the exempt ones, of course.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
I just called the numbers for the prospective jurors for this trial season and the recorded message said that they need all the jurors. Not the exempt ones, of course.
I do wonder how it would have went yesterday if I had gone? Still would have been hard to go with all the responsibilities I have here in the Villages. Care taking can be hard and jury duty can take up a lot of time.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
I do wonder how it would have went yesterday if I had gone? Still would have been hard to go with all the responsibilities I have here in the Villages. Care taking can be hard and jury duty can take up a lot of time.
And what if you were selected to serve on a jury for a trial lasting 3 or 4 weeks? It sounds like it could be a significant problem for you. When I did serve on a jury in the early 1990's the trial did last 3 weeks. My manager at the time wasn't too happy, but i worked nights and weekends, and my employer paid me for all 3 weeks.

Fast forward to today...my current employer only pays employees for 10 days of jury duty. After that you have to "work it out with your manager." Probably means the employee would have to work nights and weekends to continue to get paid. Hopefully I won't have to experience another lengthy stint of jury duty as long as I am still working.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
And what if you were selected to serve on a jury for a trial lasting 3 or 4 weeks? It sounds like it could be a significant problem for you. When I did serve on a jury in the early 1990's the trial did last 3 weeks. My manager at the time wasn't too happy, but i worked nights and weekends, and my employer paid me for all 3 weeks.

Fast forward to today...my current employer only pays employees for 10 days of jury duty. After that you have to "work it out with your manager." Probably means the employee would have to work nights and weekends to continue to get paid. Hopefully I won't have to experience another lengthy stint of jury duty as long as I am still working.
They probably would have dismissed me when I started going into all my connections to the legal system since a cop came to our Earl Wooster High School English classroom in March of 1976 to talk about recovering from the murder of our English teacher's daughter in late February of 1976. He spent a lot of that time complaining about how the media glorified criminals and talking about a horrible murder case from April of 1963 in which an Earl Wooster High School student committed the murder. One of the most brutal in Nevada history and still reads like something out of Jack the Ripper's crimes in London. And he really went into the details of how this Earl Wooster High School killed an English female Olympic skier living and working in Reno, Nevada. The cop demonstrated what not to do in front of a classroom of frightened teens.

I did e-mail the Court Clerk as not to blindside them with something like this. And then they nabbed the wrong person in 1979 in the murder of the teacher's daughter. She did make a false confession it turned out 35 years later but had been a paranoid schizophrenic at the time of the false confession. They did a DNA test on a cigarette at the crime scene and got the right person in Rodney Halbower in 2014. Halbower is linked to five murders of women and teen age girls in San Mateo County, CA in 1976.

This would still have been hard for me to talk about as the teacher's daughter was murdered on my birthday. So I am reminded of it a few times a day. Hard to talk about this especially in a room full of strangers. I did tell the Clerk of the Court about this in an e-mail.

Easy facts to check for them too. Quite a lot of media coverage of both of these murders connected to Earl Wooster High School. The London papers really sensationalized the 1963 murder sharing the nightmarish details. The Reno papers were more considerate. The national grocery store rags did what you would expect.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-19-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:13 AM
Sage
Default Earl Wooster High School former students.

Quote:
They probably would have dismissed me when I started going into all my connections to the legal system since a cop came to our Earl Wooster High School English classroom in March of 1976 to talk about recovering from the murder of our English teacher's daughter in late February of 1976. He spent a lot of that time complaining about how the media glorified criminals and talking about a horrible murder case from April of 1963 in which an Earl Wooster High School student committed the murder. One of the most brutal in Nevada history and still reads like something out of Jack the Ripper's crimes in London. And he really went into the details of how this Earl Wooster High School killed an English female Olympic skier living and working in Reno, Nevada. The cop demonstrated what not to do in front of a classroom of frightened teens.

I did e-mail the Court Clerk as not to blindside them with something like this. And then they nabbed the wrong person in 1979 in the murder of the teacher's daughter. She did make a false confession it turned out 35 years later but had been a paranoid schizophrenic at the time of the false confession. They did a DNA test on a cigarette at the crime scene and got the right person in Rodney Halbower in 2014. Halbower is linked to five murders of women and teen age girls in San Mateo County, CA in 1976.

This would still have been hard for me to talk about as the teacher's daughter was murdered on my birthday. So I am reminded of it a few times a day. Hard to talk about this especially in a room full of strangers. I did tell the Clerk of the Court about this in an e-mail.

Easy facts to check for them too. Quite a lot of media coverage of both of these murders connected to Earl Wooster High School. The London papers really sensationalized the 1963 murder sharing the nightmarish details. The Reno papers were more considerate. The national grocery store rags did what you would expect.
Beside this monster Thomas Lee Bean, Earl Wooster High School has some very well known alumni. Greg LeMond (Class of 1979) the Tour de France winner over a number of years, for instance. His sister or one of them was in a few of my classes. Patty Sheehan, the golfer (Class of 1974) She was there before I started, however. I was Class of 1976 having taken correspondence courses my Junior year to get out of high school a year early with a small Michelle Mitchell Memorial Scholarship given to me by the family. I did miss Prom though. Greg LeMond - Wikipedia

Patty Sheehan - Wikipedia

I kind of wonder if the Jury Duty for this session is still going on?

The last I looked Bean is still in prison in Nevada. Access Denied

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-19-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Beside this monster Thomas Lee Bean, Earl Wooster High School has some very well known alumni. Greg LeMond (Class of 1979) the Tour de France winner over a number of years, for instance. His sister or one of them was in a few of my classes. Patty Sheehan, the golfer (Class of 1974) She was there before I started, however. I was Class of 1976 having taken correspondence courses my Junior year to get out of high school a year early with a small Michelle Mitchell Memorial Scholarship given to me by the family. I did miss Prom though. Greg LeMond - Wikipedia

Patty Sheehan - Wikipedia

I kind of wonder if the Jury Duty for this session is still going on?

The last I looked Bean is still in prison in Nevada. Access Denied
National Enquirer - Wikipedia That National Enquirer headline from April 8, 1963 is about the monster Thomas Lee Bean's crime in Reno, Nevada. It almost bankrupted the company from what I have read. Sick.
Closed Thread

Tags
courts, federal, county, interesting, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.