Jury Duty Again in Bushnell.

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2018, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts
Wink Jury Duty Again in Bushnell.

Got the Summons today. I seem to get one of these every 5 years from County or Federal Courts.

Should be very interesting all around as to what happens with this.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Got the Summons today. I seem to get one of these every 5 years from County or Federal Courts.

Should be very interesting all around as to what happens with this.

Summons, what summons ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Summons, what summons ?

They can come down pretty hard on those not responding either coming in or sending in the request to be excused form. I went down there in May 2014 after sending them some e-mails as not to blindside them about stuff after my April Jury Summons in 2014. Had a Federal Court Jury Summons in 2009 or so in Ocala. The judge dismissed me as he thought I was hiding something. The case was alleged employment discrimination based on race against a Hispanic cop in the Claremont Police Department who wanted to write reports in Spanish and other matters. I was sitting between two extremely attractive women so I did want to stay on the jury but had trouble answering the questions with simple answers. My life is nothing but complicated as far as my connections to the legal system is concerned. And even more complicated now in 2018.

I could write a thousand page book on my complicated connections with the legal system.

The Federal Jury found for the defendant Police Department and the City of Claremont but the Judge's written decision was a bit abrasive on the employers if memory serves.

The case in 2014 was some kind of vehicular homicide that would have taken up 16 weeks of jury time according to the Sumter County Judge who dismissed all in the Jury Pool after the lawyers convinced the defendant to plead guilty without a trial.

Pinellas County, FL Judge dismissed me when I said I had a law degree around 2004.

Sonoma County Prosecutor dismissed me in 1994 when I told them about my work with victims of crimes and materials in law libraries for them. The Judge said he had seen me hanging around the Sonoma County Law Library in Santa Rosa, California. I hung out in a lot of law libraries in the 1990s.

I had had a Sumter County Jury Summons around 2006 when I wrote them with some excuse about doing legal work. They accepted it. It was volunteer work but still work as in very stressful and taxing.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-18-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:41 PM
Sage

Print out what you just told me and you’ll be in the clear, LOL
Better yet make me a copy and I’ll put in on file for myself [emoji3]

Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Jury duty

Do Sumter and Florida have an age provision for jury duty? When I lived in Maryland, people over 70 were not called.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I have a buddy that's never served on a jury.

If he can't get out of it ahead of time, when questioned in the box he manages to slip in.... "they have to be guilty, or they wouldn't have been arrested."
Old 06-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Do Sumter and Florida have an age provision for jury duty? When I lived in Maryland, people over 70 were not called.
Yes. You can be excused if over the age of 70. It is your choice. There is also an excuse if you are taking care of someone who cannot take care of themselves due to some kind of disability.

I will have to send the Clerk of Court some more e-mails about important legal developments in my neighborhood. Many Lynnhaven people would know what I am talking about here as would a large number of Villagers. It is kind of a private matter though made that way by the people involved.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-18-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:13 PM

LOL You have it so easy. I have had 57 WEEKS of Jury duty in the last 5 years. Yes I did. No really.

First in 2014 I had Grand Jury Duty which is 52 weeks long. You have to go for 2 to 4 days every month to hear cases to see if they go to trial. (they need a true bill)
March this year, I had United States District Court Petite Jury which is 4 weeks. It started on my birthday so I had to cancel vacation until July (I had it moved from winter because I walk with a cane and they said they wouldn't move it again.) So I made vacation plans for 4th of July...and...
I have Jury Duty for State of Alaska starting the 8th. (thankfully only one week unless I bag another trial). They said, no I can't get out of it because the USDC is Federal and they are state. (Bye by vacation)

Truthfully, I work full time and this has been a major hassle. I feel like I should be excused for life...and they should pay for my next vacation.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
Yes. I think it's people over seventy. Last May my father was 87, and in a nursing home. I sent back the summons filled out informing them of his age and actual residence. He was upset he couldn't serve and I think he wanted to get out of the nursing home for different environs. I didn't blame him but explained he couldn't really serve.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetakai View Post
LOL You have it so easy. I have had 57 WEEKS of Jury duty in the last 5 years. Yes I did. No really.

First in 2014 I had Grand Jury Duty which is 52 weeks long. You have to go for 2 to 4 days every month to hear cases to see if they go to trial. (they need a true bill)
March this year, I had United States District Court Petite Jury which is 4 weeks. It started on my birthday so I had to cancel vacation until July (I had it moved from winter because I walk with a cane and they said they wouldn't move it again.) So I made vacation plans for 4th of July...and...
I have Jury Duty for State of Alaska starting the 8th. (thankfully only one week unless I bag another trial). They said, no I can't get out of it because the USDC is Federal and they are state. (Bye by vacation)

Truthfully, I work full time and this has been a major hassle. I feel like I should be excused for life...and they should pay for my next vacation.
Now that is citizen dedication. Hats off to you. I do try to go in most of the time.

I believe the Federal Court also have the over 70 option for being excused from jury duty if you want it. There were some seniors up in Ocala who were surprised they did not have to be there. And that they could just go no more questions asked.

Juror Qualifications | United States Courts

I do remember some people making undue hardship arguments to the Federal judge in 2009. And they were let go of the duty.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

When you report, act as though you have a bad case of Tourettes Syndrome.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
When you report, act as though you have a bad case of Tourettes Syndrome.
I would not disrespect any court in any way like that. I do have a little trouble talking when emotional as my Mom was sick the flu when was in the womb and had to get through many developmental problems. And there is a lot going on that would make me get very emotional depending on what kind of questions I might get asked by the judge and/or lawyers depending on what kind of case this is. Most who know me well on Talk of the Villages probably know what I am talking about here. I did mention it to the Clerk of Court via e-mails in April of 2014 when I went in for Jury Duty down in Bushnell. We never got out of the Jury Pool room and you are not really allowed to talk to others in the waiting room about much of anything.

I do take civic duties like this very seriously.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage
Default I am not a robot.

Just spent 20 minutes or so writing and then sending the Sumter County Court a rather involved e-mail. I guess it is a public record now.

You have to prove you are not a robot by clicking squares with various objects requested to be in them.

We will see what happens with this. I did write that I did not want to blindside the court with my quite unique experiences nor confuse prospective jurors by some of the responses I might give if the judge/lawyers asked me certain questions.

I did have trouble with this in the Federal Court in Ocala in 2009 with the judge's voir dire. He thought I was hiding things which I was as I had quite complicated answers to any simple questions. And these answers might have brought back a lot of very strong emotions connected with these experiences of mine.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

I was called for jury duty a couple months ago, 5th Circuit. In the court awaiting voir dire, the judge was complaining about how poorly the air conditioning functioned in the courtroom. He said they should spend money and get it fixed. He then told us that as citizens there are three things we do to be good citizens. Vote, pay our taxes, and jury duty. And that if we vote "right" our taxes will be lower. Such a blatantly political comment was unexpected, especially from someone who had just complained that the government was not spending enough tax money on keeping HIM comfortable.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
I was called for jury duty a couple months ago, 5th Circuit. In the court awaiting voir dire, the judge was complaining about how poorly the air conditioning functioned in the courtroom. He said they should spend money and get it fixed. He then told us that as citizens there are three things we do to be good citizens. Vote, pay our taxes, and jury duty. And that if we vote "right" our taxes will be lower. Such a blatantly political comment was unexpected, especially from someone who had just complained that the government was not spending enough tax money on keeping HIM comfortable.
They said that they might be moving to a new building near where the Pinellas Park library is. This was in 2014. May 19 or so. I guess this still has not happened.

I remember the groaning coffee pot that sounded like a pooch missing its owners. This was the Sumter County Court in Bushnell.

Was this in Ocala? Home - State of Florida Fifth Judicial Circuit
Closed Thread

Tags
courts, federal, county, interesting, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.