Potential cell phone fraud from using Facebook/MySpace

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Default Potential cell phone fraud from using Facebook/MySpace

My Verizon cell phone bill had a $20 charge for two premium text message subscriptions. When I called Verizon they told me that I had to text 'stop' to 41933 and 23687 to stop the charges, which I did.

They said these type of charges usually come from taking a quiz or survey on social networking sites. My wife does use Facebook and MySpace, but doesn't recall ever agreeing to any subscription, or even posting her cell phone number. It may be that anybody can use your cell phone number to start a subscription.

Verizon couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me who was behind these numbers. They did offer to block this type of service from all of my cell phones, which I did. I didn't ask them for a refund when I called because I hadn't yet talked to my wife.

I have filed a complaint with the Florida Attorney General and given them the two text numbers that Verizon gave me.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:48 AM
Veteran member

RV
Try doing a Google search on the numbers and you can get a good idea as to the source. You can also do a Google search on Whois 41933 for information on who these companies are and how to correct it.

Anymore I find myself using Google to find out everything about anything.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

This can be a form of scam called "Negative Option Marketing". The Florida Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission have been working to control this type of thing for some time now, but it is not yet well regulated.

At present, the FTC rules state: "The FTC noted that companies are required by law to, “clearly and conspicuously disclose, before asking for money or billing information, all costs, all conditions regarding a product or service, and all terms and conditions of any offer with a negative option feature.”

The Florida Attorney General, on his web site, advises consumers as follows: "How to Protect Yourself: While these plans may, at first, appear enticing because they offer reduced price or "free" merchandise, be certain you understand the overall cost. For example, be certain that to receive the "three free compact discs," you can afford the six you MUST purchase within the three month period. If you subscribe, be certain to keep a copy of the seller's promotional materials and the contract. This will become a quick reference if questions later arise. Be certain you understand the return deadline to the seller to "CANCEL" the selection. Otherwise, you may be bound to keep and pay for the item. Book or Record Clubs, where you agree to the negative option plan, are different from sellers that automatically charge for an item you have not ordered. For example, Congress has outlawed Negative Option marketing by cable television companies; and Florida has adopted a "Free Gift Law" where you can keep unordered merchandise with no obligation to pay for it."

That's putting an awful lot on consumers but, unfortunately, that is the law at present. Watch out for yourself because no one else will.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Call your cell phone company, and they will probably refund these if you do it right away when you get your bill if you explain that you didn't intend to have the service.

Some of the 'games', 'contests' and greetings, etc, you see people sending you on Facebook, MySpace, etc, or that just appears in post history of your page, will, if you click on the link to check it out or participate, take you to a page where there will be a message (small print, of course) at the very bottom of the page saying that if you 'play' whatever game, etc. it is, you will be signing up for that site's service, at typically $9.95 or so a month, and that the charge will be added to your cell phone. Higher up on the page, it asks you to fill in your cell phone number in a form; and when you do, you have 'signed up' for the service, often without realizing it. It may seem at the time so innocent putting one's cell phone # in that we might not even remember doing it, until the cell phone bill comes. Sometimes the website will even suggest another reason, right next to the field for entering the cell phone #, for asking for it; for example, it might entice you by saying that it will text you if you win a prize. So, if you haven't read the text at the bottom, that tells about the $9.95 per month, you might think that giving your cell phone information is harmless.

I'm sure that often the people whose post lead another person to 'click' and go to the site also didn't realize that they had 'signed up' for the service!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 AM

What is to stop someone else from putting in your phone number? The actual cell phone owner does not get a chance to approve the charge. With cell phone numbers about to go public, nobody will be safe from this abuse.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadie View Post
What is to stop someone else from putting in your phone number? The actual cell phone owner does not get a chance to approve the charge.
Excellent point; absolutely nothing. I hadn't even thought of this.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:18 PM

I emailed the web sites behind these numbers and they replied by asking for my cell phone number so they could investigate the charges. I guess this makes sense, but there is no way I am going to provide them with any personal identification information. Oops, I guess I already gave them my email address.

I called Verizon again for their advice, and they offered to refund the charges, which I accepted. Case closed, and all my Verizon phones are now blocked from these type of services. Verizon did concede that there is no verification process to insure that the owner of the phone is the person that subscribed to the third party service.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.