Kitchen Lights Went Out

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2019, 06:53 PM
Default Kitchen Lights Went Out

Our recessed lights in the kitchen were on at dinner time and suddenly went out We flipped the circuit breakers without luck. We went through the house, garage and lanai and can’t find any other lighting that is affected. We have an Iris. Any ideas?
Old 12-31-2019, 07:00 PM
Platinum member

If they are on a dimmer switch, that would be the first thing I would check.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:01 PM

Suggest you check for GFI outlets around the kitchen or the foyer. Sometimes those are on the same circuit as the room lights. If one has tripped, reset it.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I just have a light go bad.
I replaced the switch and no luck.
I called an electrocution. The problem was the wires that are twisted together with a plastic cap on top had separated. over the years one wire pulled back from the other. No idea how. I would check and tighten all the wiring in the receptacle. Be sure to turn off the breaker.
You can test the switch by touching the two black wires that go into the switch together and see if the light works. It did in my case because I was actually pulling the wires and getting the twisted pair to touch. So if touching works you could replace the switch before checking all the wiring if you want.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

My guess bad switch or wired some how became disconnected from the switch
Lights should not be GFI protected
Everything here is bare minimum just meets code not code +
Old 12-31-2019, 10:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Buy a non-contact voltage detector Robot Check and check voltage at switch. This will precisely locate the issues.

No speculation by strangers. They are available at Lowe's and Home Depot.
Maybe this link will work.
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-N...x=non-c&sr=8-3
Old 01-01-2020, 05:46 AM

Call an electrician!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2020, 06:32 AM
Default Circuit breaker

Flip that circuit breaker HARD. It may take a few tries.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:49 AM

When you say you flipped the circuit breaker with no luck... What ecactly are you saying?

1) was it tripped and you tried to reset it and it kept tripping? If that is the case you have a short somewhere and you better get an electrician to find it.

2) did you just go to the breaker and trip it and reset it hoping to fix the problem. (Assuming you had the right breaker).
Old 01-01-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I just have a light go bad.
I replaced the switch and no luck.
I called an electrocution. The problem was the wires that are twisted together with a plastic cap on top had separated. over the years one wire pulled back from the other. No idea how. I would check and tighten all the wiring in the receptacle. Be sure to turn off the breaker.
You can test the switch by touching the two black wires that go into the switch together and see if the light works. It did in my case because I was actually pulling the wires and getting the twisted pair to touch. So if touching works you could replace the switch before checking all the wiring if you want.
Good thing that you didn't get the Electrocution that you called for.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:10 AM

Check if any of the power outlets in the kitchen area are affected. If they are also out, then the problem is the circuit breaker behind one of the outlets. They are difficult to press with your fingers. Use a spoon handle or similar to press ‘test’ and then press ‘reset’. These words are written on the outlet. May have to get close to read them. If it keeps tripping, call an electrician.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:50 AM

Probably a ground fault on an outside receptacle. Check all outside receptacles for gfi breakers. Pay close attention to any outside receptacle that water could splash on.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:12 AM
Default Best answer for Check it yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Buy a non-contact voltage detector Robot Check and check voltage at switch. This will precisely locate the issues.

No speculation by strangers. They are available at Lowe's and Home Depot.
Maybe this link will work.
Robot Check
This is a great first step and everyone should have one of these. Safe and anyone can use it. Or call a professional.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
Our recessed lights in the kitchen were on at dinner time and suddenly went out We flipped the circuit breakers without luck. We went through the house, garage and lanai and can’t find any other lighting that is affected. We have an Iris. Any ideas?
OP, lots of misinformation here. Ceiling lights are NOT on GFI circuits. Also, you must fully turn OFF a circuit breaker before turning it back on, if you just move it to the On position after a trip, it will not reset. If your house is similar to ours, there may be several switches in the same box as the kitchen lights, do any or all of the other lights work? If so this probably eliminates the breaker, our house has the 2 sets of ceiling lights, the switched outlets above the cabinets, and a light just outside the laundry area in the same box, and off the same supply circuit. I have had light bulbs fail and cause the dimmer switch to fail. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss further.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
Depending on how old it is! Called TV's warranty dept. or the builder & let him get your electrician back. It could be a lot of things. Surprised it didn't start the day you bought the home. Could be a short in the line, overload & it made the breaker weak. Buy a new breaker & Dimmer & install it. If that's not it then it's probably in the wiring to each one of the lights. Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen, lights, lanai, can’t, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.