Lanai ceiling separating at seams.

Closed Thread
Old 05-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Lanai ceiling separating at seams.

We had originally thought to use beadboard or a plastic like look alike to cover or replace the lanai ceiling, but that is a little more casual than I want to go and it would require putting it over the ceiling or taking the ceiling down and probably would still contract and expand at the seams.

Then we thought that maybe coffering would look attractive and cover the seams and allow them to expand and contract underneath where it won't show.

I will try to find some pictures of coffering on porches.

Here are some good ones; coffering on porches - Bing images

If you have any other good answer to fixing this problem, please share.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-30-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Oh, wow! I didn't know it was called coffering, but that would be a stunning look, and in my (inexperienced) opinion could solve your dilemma.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

The POA is all excited about split seams and have collected over 500 folks with this problem. See current month bulletin.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts
Default Read that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
The POA is all excited about split seams and have collected over 500 folks with this problem. See current month bulletin.
I read the POA Bulletin and has Bogie noted it appears (more than 500) have this problem either on their Lanai or garage.

I'm no expert but given where the problems seem to occur it could have something to do with humidity/moisture and heat in these area's. The answer to the problem---I leave to someone who has more expertise than me. The various coffering does look attractive.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I read the POA Bulletin and has Bogie noted it appears (more than 500) have this problem either on their Lanai or garage.

I'm no expert but given where the problems seem to occur it could have something to do with humidity/moisture and heat in these area's. The answer to the problem---I leave to someone who has more expertise than me. The various coffering does look attractive.
It seems inevitable and insurmountable. I think this may hide the gap.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

With over 500 people reported to be having this issue, and a lot of people touting the superiority of craftsmanship and those who swear to the developers concern for its customers...one would think that the developer would proffer and pay for a solution.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We had originally thought to use beadboard or a plastic like look alike to cover or replace the lanai ceiling, but that is a little more casual than I want to go and it would require putting it over the ceiling or taking the ceiling down and probably would still contract and expand at the seams.

Then we thought that maybe coffering would look attractive and cover the seams and allow them to expand and contract underneath where it won't show.

I will try to find some pictures of coffering on porches.

Here are some good ones; coffering on porches - Bing images

If you have any other good answer to fixing this problem, please share.
Creative Finish Carpentry, while installing crown moulding last year, mentioned a composite material they are using on lanai ceilings, in combination with crown moulding. Had the budget allowed it, we would've gone with that option. At the time it was $1,600.00 for a stretched Gardenia lanai ceiling.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Creative Finish Carpentry, while installing crown moulding last year, mentioned a composite material they are using on lanai ceilings, in combination with crown moulding. Had the budget allowed it, we would've gone with that option. At the time it was $1,600.00 for a stretched Gardenia lanai ceiling.
Is Creative Finish the one that is owned by Mario something? Mario has done moldings and wainscoting in three of our friends homes and he is a master craftsman.

I understand why the seams crack, I just want a good way to fix it. The developer isn't my mother.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Is Creative Finish the one that is owned by Mario something? Mario has done moldings and wainscoting in three of our friends homes and he is a master craftsman.

I understand why the seams crack, I just want a good way to fix it. The developer isn't my mother.
Yes, that's the company. When they were doing our house, I casually mentioned crown moulding on the lanai. He showed me samples, including the composite material used on the ceiling.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran member
Angry So Many Homeowners with the Same Problem -- Outrageous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
With over 500 people reported to be having this issue, and a lot of people touting the superiority of craftsmanship and those who swear to the developers concern for its customers...one would think that the developer would proffer and pay for a solution.
Even if the number of those having a problem with their lanai ceiling is somewhat less than 500, it seems to me that there are far too many people with this same problem.

TV should be responsible for repairing and fixing this, not the homeowner. It's obvious the issue is with the workmanship, not the fact that it's a lanai. My lanai in southeast Florida never had this problem and the house was 30 years old.

Residents who are dealing with this should band together and make the developer do the repair!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Even if the number of those having a problem with their lanai ceiling is somewhat less than 500, it seems to me that there are far too many people with this same problem.

TV should be responsible for repairing and fixing this, not the homeowner. It's obvious the issue is with the workmanship, not the fact that it's a lanai. My lanai in southeast Florida never had this problem and the house was 30 years old.

Residents who are dealing with this should band together and make the developer do the repair!
They did repair it when it was under warranty. Our home now is almost six years old. I want to fix it in a way that is pretty and will stay fixed.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

In the case of our house (4 years old), I noticed the crack when doing some work in the area, and it appears there is NO WOOD behind the ceiling drywall in that area, you can actually push the ceiling up in that location! IMHO, This means a simple fix will not work. I have provided the POA with this info.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
In the case of our house (4 years old), I noticed the crack when doing some work in the area, and it appears there is NO WOOD behind the ceiling drywall in that area, you can actually push the ceiling up in that location! IMHO, This means a simple fix will not work. I have provided the POA with this info.
Then we had thought about the possibility of making it a cathedral ceiling. Sometimes that is a pretty look, especially if removal of dry wall is necessary anyway.

Found some pictures of Cathedral ceilings on porches;

cathedral ceiling on porch - Bing images
Old 05-30-2017, 11:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
They did repair it when it was under warranty. Our home now is almost six years old. I want to fix it in a way that is pretty and will stay fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
It sounds as though the original construction of the lanai was never done properly.
Even the "fix" by warranty was only a band aid when the fix needed sutures!

The developer should step up to the plate and fix what was never done correctly.
That probably means they have to remove the entire ceiling to get to the guts of the problem, but you shouldn't let them off the hook.

This is really a shame for all the homeowners who have to deal with a situation such as this.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:06 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

I will do my best to stick to the facts here on this subject and not my opinion.

We find this issue very often on one year warranty inspections. Typically these cracks are at where the drywall seams butt together. When found under warranty, they do come back and attempt to fix the cracks. Some workers do a very good job and some may not. It is difficult to repair a knock down finish without it being noticeable. Sometimes when the crack is very small, the "cure" is worse than the disease. Even after repair, the crack can return.

Typically these cracks are found every four feet. We also try our best, (and one of the few companies that do) get back to the Lanai area in the attic and see the top side of the drywall in the lanai. Sometimes this is very easy, sometimes this is impossible, dependant on the model home.

This drywall appears to be the same interior drywall that is inside the home. I do not believe they use a drywall mud like durabond 90 here....in my humble opinion that would probably help, as it is stronger than regular drywall mud. It is what I have used in problem areas with no problems.

These cracks have been known to show up even a few years after the build....perhaps due to temperature swings, etc.

While most of the homes I inspect are of course in The Villages, I do warranty inspections in a few other communities around here also. While this is a common finding in The Villages, I find this rarely in these other communities. I am not sure why that is so.

I WAS told that The Villages is now using a better, more flexible paint on the Lanai ceilings, so this problem MAY be found less. We will see. It should be noted that we also find this on some of the larger front porches. Strangely, it is much more rare on the Courtyard villa ceilings, perhaps because they are smaller. This issue IS found more on the larger lanais.

I did have a homeowner a few weeks ago tell me he was going to pressure wash his Lanai ceiling because he thought it was the same stucco that was on the side of his home. I advised him NOT to. He was surprised to find out it was drywall. Glad I stopped him, it would not have been good.

I hope this helps a bit.

Respectfully, Frank

Tags
ceiling, seams, require, putting, taking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.