Lanai ceiling separating at seams.

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Default Lanai Ceiling Cracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Drywall is tapered at the edges. This creates a valley so that you don't end up with a bump when you fill in the crack where the sheets butt together. To do a quality job I.E. no bump you need to use a technique called a rock splice to strengthen a non supported seam. Quality builders do this all the time especially with long seams like in a Lanai. The local big box stores sell these splices.
The sides of drywall are tapered, however, in my lanai the sheets were butted end to end where the cracks are. There are no cracks where the side edges meet. The other thing I noted was that the stagger of the sheets was about 8". They apparently do not end on a stud for support. Had it "repaired" under warrantee. It came back within 6 mos. Hopefully The Villages contractors will fix us all.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I bet that drywall contractor is long out the door or probably more likely will be held to repairing the seams which is right.
Regardless of whether the drywall contractor is "long out the door" or not, it is the builder who hired that person and is responsible for the work the drywall guy did.

Tags
ceiling, seams, require, putting, taking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.