To the LANDLORDS out there ...

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2021, 05:16 PM
Veteran member
Default To the LANDLORDS out there ...

Do you use an online service to screen/do background checks on prospective tenants? If so, can you share the company you use? I would also be grateful for any tips on choosing a great tenant.

Thanks!

kathy
Old 10-18-2021, 10:28 PM
Veteran member

best to google this ....
Old 10-18-2021, 11:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
best to google this ....
Yes, I did that, but lots of companies out there doing this sort of thing. Was hoping for a recommendation for a company that someone has actually used.

k.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Do you use an online service to screen/do background checks on prospective tenants? If so, can you share the company you use? I would also be grateful for any tips on choosing a great tenant.

Thanks!

kathy
In the past we used a rental agency that performed that task and handled all aspects of the rental. We were "hands off" for the most part since we traveled and we're not available to run over at 2am to change a lightbulb. We used Remax for a while and they did pretty well. Note: we were renting short term. Long term, short term makes a difference in many ways.
We found that high season always rented.
, but the rest of the year was really difficult to find renters.
We tried a small boutique company found renters from other parts of the world looking for the hot weather of spring, summer and fall and we profited ... for awhile. Then the company had "problems" making payments and no backup documents were coming. They disappeared with thousands of dollars owed to us and many of their clients, home owners and vacationers.
So, this tale is to warn you to be careful and don't trust anyone too much. And if you are planing to rent long term ( a yearly lease ) make sure your documents protect you.
Again, Good Luck!
Old 10-19-2021, 10:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

///
Old 10-19-2021, 10:26 AM

We owned 3 rental properties in the past (NOT IN FL) where we happened to live in the same town as our properties. We had a real estate firm do the "vetting" on our renters, but managed the properties ourselves after that. If an option in FL, why not consider. They do all the credit check/background footwork) and when there is an issue, just have the tenants call/email you directly if you are located in the same area.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!

kathy
Spyfly. They offer a free trial and then it’s 29.97 a month unless they have changed the price. My wife has used it for a couple years . One guy wanting to rent long term had close to thirty felonies.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:53 AM
Default Checking Tenants

Quote:

Thanks!

kathy
I[FONT="Arial"][/
Hi Kathy, I have been a Landlord for over 45 years and have properties in 3 states if you would like to call me I’ll explain what I done here in the Villages as it’s totally different than anywhere else. Norm 251-543-7368
Old 10-20-2021, 09:12 AM

I have used Lexis Nexis for years to do Background checks. There is a " 50 state check" that was a little more pricey at the time. The 50 state check was more informative. I used them for all my employees.

The problem for renters is that an applicant with a clean background has a person without a clean background as a secondary occupant.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceg15 View Post
The problem for renters is that an applicant with a clean background has a person without a clean background as a secondary occupant.
We are actually purchasing a property that a relative will live in and I am hoping to find a roommate to share the expenses. So I only need to check the background of one person. It would just be the relative and this one other person. Thanks.

k.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
We are actually purchasing a property that a relative will live in and I am hoping to find a roommate to share the expenses. So I only need to check the background of one person. It would just be the relative and this one other person. Thanks.

k.
I was under the impression you could not sublet, but I could be wrong. I though only family members were allowed to live together in TV
Old 10-20-2021, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
I was under the impression you could not sublet, but I could be wrong. I though only family members were allowed to live together in TV
"Roommate" and "sublet" are two very different things.

That said, you think that TV has rules against two unmarried and unrelated adults sharing a home? I can't imagine that could be the case.

k.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:00 PM
Default SmartMove

I use SmartMove. $45 fee paid by applicant. You simply open a free online account and set up details of the rental. When interested tenant provides an email, you plug it it and SmartMove (powered by TransUnion) does the rest.

I tell tenants that they pay the fee and that most qualified applicant will be selected. I establish minimum FICO of 700. I explain a criminal and credit background check is part of the process and if they are the most qualified, I will deduct their fee from 1st month rent.

Amazing how many people will
Give you their email address and never complete the application (because they know they won’t be most qualified, don’t have a 700+ FICO, or will have issues w/criminal or credit background. The bad applicants basically take themselves out of the equation.
Closed Thread

Tags
great, tenant, choosing, company, grateful

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.