The latest in your life being monetized.

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2020, 04:13 PM
Default Telephones have become almost useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxr750 View Post
Just drove by a Circle K gas station and got a call on the IPhone. Guess what? It was a Circle K ad. Must be a feature of the latest iOS update. Add this to the dozen or so scam calls you get everyday. There oughta be a law. There is a law?
I have my phone to only ring for numbers in my phone book. My voice mail message explains that, since 7 of 10 calls are spam or sales calls, I will only answer if you are a known caller. They are invited to identify themselves and leave their name and a message. If it is legitimate, I call them back and also add them to my phone book so that they can ring though in the future. Everyone seems to understand and it has worked fine. Without this the phone would be basically useless.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Actually the government has forced the cell phone companies to develop stricter call identification technology so then VoIP calls or either blocked when the numbers are fake or must give a true number. I believe it will go into effect in the next 12 months or so. It won't necessarily stop you but I have a feeling the only thing they would stop is if they were charged five or ten cents a call if they are not on your contact list
The government
Old 11-15-2020, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

You’re cell phone is full of tracking, gathering, and monitoring Apps. Even when you turn it off, it really not off.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 11-17-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You cell phone is full of tracking gathering, and monitoring Apps. Even when you turn it off, it really not off.
Otherwise how would big brother watch us?
Old 11-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Platinum member
Default Where's my phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by astron View Post
i have my phone to only ring for numbers in my phone book. My voice mail message explains that, since 7 of 10 calls are spam or sales calls, i will only answer if you are a known caller. They are invited to identify themselves and leave their name and a message. If it is legitimate, i call them back and also add them to my phone book so that they can ring though in the future. Everyone seems to understand and it has worked fine. Without this the phone would be basically useless.
of course we need our home phone
1. We use it to find our cell phones
2. Dead drop # we fill out on forms.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawksin View Post
How do you know you never missed a call?
Since I have never had an "I tried to get you, but couldn't" or missed a changed appointment (including from those non contact 352 numbers from the Dr office) or family emergency or celebration or golf communication or anything else worthy of worry I think I can safely say if it was important they left a voice mail and I haven't missed anything important. Incidentally I get more robo call voicemails than real voicemails. Sometimes when I am bored I listen and learn I am being investigated by the FBI or have a warrant out against me or my SSN is compromised etc, etc, etc. Less blood pressure increase using voicemail.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
In your, iPhone APPS go to phone then turn on ”Silence Unknown Callers”.
Only callers in your iPhone contacts will ring. Others will be forced to voicemail.
When you say got to APPS do you mean go to the App Store? Is this an app that I can download?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
When you say got to APPS do you mean go to the App Store? Is this an app that I can download?
Never mind. I found it. You have to go the Settings, then Phone and then scroll down to see it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
That will work, but many people (like me) won't do it because they don't want to miss important calls from people who are not in their contact list. Suppose your doctor's office or another business calls you from an unknown number? It is not appropriate for everyone.
I never answer my phone unless it's someone on my contacts list. My doctors offices and other important businesses are all in my contacts. If it's something important they will leave a message and I will get a notification that I hav a voicemail.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
On my Android phone, you go to Settings and then Notifications. From there, you turn on "do not disturb" and select "allow exceptions" and select "Contacts only". This will mute all calls except the numbers stored in your contacts. No need to install a separate app. I am not sure about IPhones.
Closed Thread

Tags
circle, latest, law, feature, ios

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.