Lawtey Florida, speedtrap

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Veteran member
Default Lawtey Florida, speedtrap

Most folks have heard of this small town in north Florida on highway 301. I had heard that due to abuse their police force had been disbanded and was not allowed to write speeding tickets anymore. That is false. Yesterday I went through that town and while I was there witnessed the speedtrap setup and writing tickets like mad. Beware when you approach this town. AAA had advised in the past regarding this notorious town. I met a Canadian couple while getting gas and they had heard of it up north too. Beware as this is Florida at its worst.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Far too may police departments across he country and especially those pushing red light cameras have allowed income to dominate the issue and feign safety as the prime motivator. I wish the police associations would release any independent and unbiased study to support their claims that it reduces accidents in the long term.

But this is one of those populist issues that opponents can never win because of the nature of it
Old 02-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Veteran member

The "town" that disbanded it's police force was Hampton, which is south of Starke.

As for Lawtey or Waldo (both notorious speed traps in days gone by) .... their is MORE than adequate signs that warn you to slow down now .... if you get a speeding ticket in either now, it is your fault.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:49 PM

The issue wasn't that the police were writing tickets for speeding. The issue was that the Chief of Police told them that they had to write a certain number of tickets per month and that is illegal in Florida.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-01-2015, 01:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp001 View Post
Most folks have heard of this small town in north Florida on highway 301. I had heard that due to abuse their police force had been disbanded and was not allowed to write speeding tickets anymore. That is false. Yesterday I went through that town and while I was there witnessed the speedtrap setup and writing tickets like mad. Beware when you approach this town. AAA had advised in the past regarding this notorious town. I met a Canadian couple while getting gas and they had heard of it up north too. Beware as this is Florida at its worst.
While Lawtey is one of the big three speed traps on 301, I thought it was Waldo that had its Police disbanded for traffic ticket quotas.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by theorem painter View Post
The issue wasn't that the police were writing tickets for speeding. The issue was that the Chief of Police told them that they had to write a certain number of tickets per month and that is illegal in Florida.
Theorem painter yes illegal because it is a conflict of interest and that was the focus of my post

Its one thing to instruct officers to arrest speeders, etc it is quite another to set a quota like many other professions which deal with the public's trust
Old 02-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Just see the notoriety an entity receives when it is only doing it's duty.

ENFORCING the law. A very selective concept in America these days. big BIG round of applause for those that do.

Just witness the caution exercised by these communities that have earned a reputation for ENFORCEMENT!!!

Now if we could get the three counties of TV to be as vigilant in the ENFORCEMENT to a point where all who enter would abide by the speed limit or they will be stopped.

I think they should have a dedicated force that does nothing but that. The increased revenues would foot the bill.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Veteran member
Default You

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Just see the notoriety an entity receives when it is only doing it's duty.

ENFORCING the law. A very selective concept in America these days. big BIG round of applause for those that do.

Just witness the caution exercised by these communities that have earned a reputation for ENFORCEMENT!!!

Now if we could get the three counties of TV to be as vigilant in the ENFORCEMENT to a point where all who enter would abide by the speed limit or they will be stopped.

I think they should have a dedicated force that does nothing but that. The increased revenues would foot the bill.
Surely don't believe that crap. My entire family is and has been involved in law enforcement. This far exceeds that concept. When the rather small signs, closely spaced, drop your speed from 65 to 35, in three increments, and they post a cop(hidden) at each increment., that is Not law enforcement. They do however have a huge billboard southbound, outside of town, warning of the upcoming abuse of power. They are hiding behind their badges and hold NO position of honor, rather like Barney Fife or sheriff Rutherford B Justice!
Old 02-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Surely don't believe that crap. My entire family is and has been involved in law enforcement. This far exceeds that concept. When the rather small signs, closely spaced, drop your speed from 65 to 35, in three increments, and they post a cop(hidden) at each increment., that is Not law enforcement. They do however have a huge billboard southbound, outside of town, warning of the upcoming abuse of power. They are hiding behind their badges and hold NO position of honor, rather like Barney Fife or sheriff Rutherford B Justice!
I do believe that ticketing folks for speeding, however, what ever else it is called...it is enforcing the speed limit resulting in the ticketed to have to pay a fine.

Whether hiding or in plain site, or unmarked cars. It does in fact work.

Why does everybody slow down when they enter a school zone here in TV (and a lot of other places)? Becasue they KNOW there is a cop nearby and they KNOW they will get ticketed for speeding. Enforcement, plain and simple.

Since enforcement in TV is selective and inconsistent the results are easily on display. Speeding is rampant. Stop signs are meaningless. Just to cite a couple of examples.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Eternal Member

Wow! It sure did not take too long for the tide to turn from the Police Rally at Lake Sumter Landing to bashing police for having speed traps, did it?
Old 02-01-2015, 05:50 PM
Default speed trap

Quote:
First of all, it was Waldo that disbanded its police department. The speed reduction signs are not small, they are not that closely spaced, and there is not an officer at each increment. Say what you want, it is very effective. It's pretty black & white - if you think you're above the law and want to ignore the speed limit, then get a ticket, and complain about it.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran member
Default I didn't get a ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg441 View Post
First of all, it was Waldo that disbanded its police department. The speed reduction signs are not small, they are not that closely spaced, and there is not an officer at each increment. Say what you want, it is very effective. It's pretty black & white - if you think you're above the law and want to ignore the speed limit, then get a ticket, and complain about it.
Now you've expressed your OPINION my law enforcement friend, let's just disagree as to what makes Good policemen.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
The "town" that disbanded it's police force was Hampton, which is south of Starke.

As for Lawtey or Waldo (both notorious speed traps in days gone by) .... their is MORE than adequate signs that warn you to slow down now .... if you get a speeding ticket in either now, it is your fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg441 View Post
So, which is it?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 PM
nkrifats

Waldo
Old 02-01-2015, 10:14 PM

I don't believe it is about police bashing but rather expressing disappointment for hose departments that would let the almighty dollar dictate the reason they issue tickets and not public safety
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.