Leasing vs. buying a new vehicle

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2017, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts
Default Leasing vs. buying a new vehicle

We're thinking about going back to a Honda Pilot; pro's and con's from those who've leased vs. buying . Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

GM offers a super low mileage lease on Buick, Cadillac and some others. It’s a great deal for us, even working we only put on 4 to 6 thousand miles a year. Here less than 2,000. Not sure if Honda offers but worth checking out.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I have friends who just have to have a new car every two or three years. Leasing works for them. I have leased two cars before buying my current one. One I sold to my son, and one I bought out the lease and gave it to my DIL. I think in those circumstances we lost $.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:23 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Fine if u want a new car every 2 to3 years but not fine if u intend to buy the car when the lease is over. You will definitely lose money
Old 11-11-2017, 06:42 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

It always depends on the deal at that point in time. What I have found that works best is to find the car I want and negotiate the best price possible for that car. I tell the sales person up front that I will decide later if I will lease, finance or write a check for the full amount. Once you have a final price for that specific car, then and only then sit down with the finance person and discuss all three options. And I have done all three in the past. You have to have the final price you agree to before you can compare which way is best. So much depends on what incentives are in place.

Examples are things like you see advertised, $10,000 rebates and 0% interest. Those may only come into play at list price. But at a deeply discounted price I was happy with, I once got another 3K discount if I took their financing. It had no prepayment penalty so I did and paid it off 30 days later. The dealership had a significant incentive from the manufacturer to finance cars. Another time at that final finance meeting there was a lease incentive with a very high residual value (equals lower lease payment) so leasing made more sense. I also got .05% interest (1/2 of 1%) once on a deeply discounted price.

Always get the best possible price first then figure out the best way to pay for it. Will save you lots of money.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

In my opinion, from a financial standpoint, it is always better to pay cash for a car. Of course, if you want a new car every 2-3 years, you are going to spend a lot of money over time. But, you will still come out ahead by paying cash vs leasing or financing.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Sage

Our current lease it’s $69 a month for 24 months for a Buick no money down. Ultralow miles lease. I would loose that much money driving off the lot with a new car
Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Our current lease it’s $69 a month for 24 months for a Buick no money down. Ultralow miles lease. I would loose that much money driving off the lot with a new car
That sounds incredibly good. Can you give specifics?

Also. What did it cost you out the door?

Thank you.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I cant rent a lawn mower for $69 a month.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Gold member
Default For my two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post

Thank you.
As we all know if a deal sounds too good to be true it is too good to be true.

The dealer needs to get you in the door. When you arrive you get lines like we just sole the last one or that is the one without air conditioning etc.

You will see ads $100 over dealer cost. WOW that sounds like an impossibly great deal. AND IT IS. On any car there is something called "A call Back" Depending on the car the dealer gets 3-7% back on the cost when the car is sold.

You can easily see what people are paying for the car you want, equipped as you want, on the internet. You know the dance when you go to buy a car. After the salesman shoots you a number. If, it is higher than your information
yopu tell him you will not pay more than ..............
'
Old 11-11-2017, 09:55 AM
Gold member

we have been leasing for years. Present lease, 2015 dodge ram 1500 crew cab with a hemi, has all the toys, GPS, upgraded radio and speakers. value $41K

we put down $1200 for the taxes, registration and all that and pay $344 for 3 years with 12k miles per year. Totals out to $13k for driving a decked out, $41k truck.

The payments for 3 years would not have been that low.

Previous lease (2) matching, his and hers, new 2012 Honda Accords Top of the line, V6, sunroof, leather value $36K each, and all that $725 a month for 2....no money down.

So we will probably always have a lease payment, but we will drive a new car every 3 years.....so....

we did however purchase a in town car from Jenkins in Lakeland new 2015 Sentra basic model, but great gas mileage and not many toys, for cask $14k out the door.....but its a lesser car for a lesser price. We could have leased a luxury car for just about the same money...

so...whatever you choose....but remember...when your lease it up you need to have done the research to get into another lease or buy something...because the car has to go back when you lease. But deals are out there..
Old 11-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post

Thank you.
GM executive, with options for valet service ( car is picked up and serviced and then returned). This summer GM was clearing out the 2017s, I just had to have a GM car, my GM discount, paid to transfer plates, got a baby Buick with everything but a sun roof, and 8,000 miles a year, so comes in the ultra low lease. Could have gotten a Cadillac for more but did not want a car. Our 6 year old Buick only has 32,000 on it so we have no problem with ultra low lease. We purchased that car from a ultra low lease with 7,800 miles. Our sales person let’s me know when a deal is coming before it’s in the paper. They cleared out hundreds of cars in 6 hours
Old 11-12-2017, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
As we all know if a deal sounds too good to be true it is too good to be true.

The dealer needs to get you in the door. When you arrive you get lines like we just sole the last one or that is the one without air conditioning etc.

You will see ads $100 over dealer cost. WOW that sounds like an impossibly great deal. AND IT IS. On any car there is something called "A call Back" Depending on the car the dealer gets 3-7% back on the cost when the car is sold.

You can easily see what people are paying for the car you want, equipped as you want, on the internet. You know the dance when you go to buy a car. After the salesman shoots you a number. If, it is higher than your information
yopu tell him you will not pay more than ..............
'
Actually, it's called the 'dealers holdback.'

What Is Dealer Holdback? on Edmunds.com

Quote:
Dealer holdback is designed to supplement the dealer's cash flow and indirectly reduce "variable sales expenses" (another way of saying "sales commissions") by artificially elevating the dealership's paper cost. The holdback is a percentage of either the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) or invoice price of a new vehicle that the manufacturer repays to the dealer.

Some car buyers try to use dealer holdback to calculate the net price of a vehicle to the dealer, with the intention of using that amount as a basis for negotiating a rock-bottom price.

However, determining the dealer's actual net cost is difficult, even for seasoned automotive insiders. Instead, it's better to focus on tangible numbers like the Edmunds.com True Market Value (TMV®), which is an average of what other people are paying for a car in a given area.

Now the twist: With the introduction of holdbacks some years ago, most manufacturers inflated the invoice prices for every vehicle by a predetermined amount (2-3 percent of MSRP is typical). The dealer pays that inflated amount when it buys the car from the manufacturer. But later, at predetermined times (usually quarterly), the manufacturer reimburses the dealer for the excess amount. This is the "holdback," so named because funds are "held back" by the manufacturer and released only after the vehicle is invoiced to the dealership.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Caveat Emptor
If the deal sounds too good to be true, there is a high probability that it is , too good to be true.

No one has even been able to prove to me that leases are cheaper than a well researched purchase.

Leasing is really a disguised purchase option ,if your consider all the terms and conditions.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
GM executive, with options for valet service ( car is picked up and serviced and then returned). This summer GM was clearing out the 2017s, I just had to have a GM car, my GM discount, paid to transfer plates, got a baby Buick with everything but a sun roof, and 8,000 miles a year, so comes in the ultra low lease. Could have gotten a Cadillac for more but did not want a car. Our 6 year old Buick only has 32,000 on it so we have no problem with ultra low lease. We purchased that car from a ultra low lease with 7,800 miles. Our sales person let’s me know when a deal is coming before it’s in the paper. They cleared out hundreds of cars in 6 hours
Great info. Thanks. Pays to be a smart shopper. Btw, costco has up to $750 cash back for GM purchases.
Closed Thread

Tags
cons, pros, pilot;, whove, honda

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.