Leaving Money to Kids

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2020, 11:42 AM
Veteran member

This whole thread makes me sad.. for various reasons..
Old 03-02-2020, 11:52 AM

Ostrich
Old 03-02-2020, 12:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post

Me too.
Recommend reading “Beyond the Grave.”
Old 03-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts
Default enjoy the wealth that you've accumulated while you are healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Many have kidded about spending our kids inheritance but Marie Osmond has said that she will not leave any money to her kids. I know of several that have also taken that position.........what you think?
If there is anything left after my wife and I have fully enjoyed having the time of our lives....the kids will get what's left....but the split won't be even-steven...those that have gone out of their way to stay in touch and have taught our grandchildren to write 'thank you notes' get the lion's share
Old 03-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
If there is anything left after my wife and I have fully enjoyed having the time of our lives....the kids will get what's left....but the split won't be even-steven...those that have gone out of their way to stay in touch and have taught our grandchildren to write 'thank you notes' get the lion's share
I couldn't agree more. Each person has a different set of parental skills. Judging others about that skill set is clearly Bulling and Guessing.

It your money leave it to who you want the way you like.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I still like the will reading where the lawyer read to the very needy, greedy waiting children.

Beeing of sound mind and body, your mother and I have spent the lot, the jewelry was sold years ago, and the house was reposessed by the bank ..............and we never did get married!
Old 03-02-2020, 02:31 PM

I kind of wonder WHY she isn't leaving anything to her kids. Her net worth is $20-$24 million. With their luck, she'll give it all to her church.
We never had kids, but we have nieces/nephews, 2 on each side of the family. 2 have always been good to us, acknowledged our gifts over the years with a thank you, the other 2 ... (sounds of crickets.) Guess which 2 are getting whatever is left of our estate.
They were raised right. The other side, not so much.
Karma has no menu. You get served what you deserve. :-)

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 03-02-2020, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I am taking it with me.
Just in case!
Both of us promised to write each other a check, so we can take it with us! Giggle snort!
Old 03-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Both of us promised to write each other a check, so we can take it with us! Giggle snort!
Love it!
Old 03-02-2020, 04:36 PM

We wanted to see any inheritance enjoyed By our kids while we are still here to enjoy seeing the impact it had. We were told to enjoy it ourselves and boy have we.
PS You’ll never see a u-haul behind a hearse.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I'm leaving everything to my daughter. She's the best thing that ever happened to me!
My husband and I only have one child and that is our daughter. I agree with you that we are leaving everything to her; however, it is easy because we only have one child and don't have to worry about sibling rivalry. That said, I do intend to retire early and enjoy the fruit of my labor but she can definitely have whatever is left over in my retirement account. Also, the life insurance is hers. She is an excellent daughter and I couldn't have prayed for a better child. So glad we had her!
Old 03-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Me too.

Recommend reading “Beyond the Grave.”

Old 03-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

A dear friend of mine died at age 66 suddenly and unexpectedly two years ago. She and I used to discuss from time to time how she could best set up her estate plan. She had given it a lot of thought and tweaked it from time to time over the years. Her eldest child was a daughter from her first marriage who had treated my friend like crap for all of the the 27 years I had known her. She had two sons from her second marriage who had turned out fine and were part of her life in every way. She had finally decided to leave the lousy daughter $10K and split the remainder of her estate between her two sons as 50-50 as she could manage. When her will was read her awful daughter got up and walked out when she heard what she got. Karma is a bitch, and a well deserved one in this case. lol.

One of the sons had recently married a woman whose father is an attorney. The daughter-in-law is now stirring the pot alleging that her husband did not get enough.

I cannot lose this creepy feeling I have that my friend had a premonition she was going to die. Over the last year she had too frequently for comfort wanted to discuss with me her estate plan in detail. She kept reviewing it with her financial planner and attorney, too.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-02-2020 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:31 AM
Default Inheritance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubnut View Post
I couldn’t disagree more!
We are leaving the next generation with huge national debt and global climate change and terrible health care. It will be more difficult for them to prosper and take care of my grandchildren. I am working hard to make sure that I can leave an inheritance to help them all I can. They are my kids. I had better opportunities than they will
You hit the nail on the head!
Old 03-03-2020, 05:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Best will ever.

Being of sound mind and body your mother and I have spent it all.
All the gold and jewellery was sold years ago.
The house was reposessed by the bank, and we owe $2.5 million in back taxes.
If you had ever bothered to see or contact us while we were alive, you would have known all this.

PS. Your mother and I were never married!
Closed Thread

Tags
kids, money, position, leave, leaving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.