Leaving Money to Kids

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2020, 07:52 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

All my children have worked hard, saved and built a life for themselves. My parents taught me and I taught my children. Everything I have left will go to the benefit of the future of my family. No guilt, just love.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Life Insurance????..................
Life Insurance disbursements are tax free. When you pass, your beneficiaries get the cash without the taxes, unlike other inheritances. Plus, there are other benefits to you, as well. Ed Slott explains: CPA Ed Slott on Tax Free Retirement Using Life Insurance - YouTube
Old 03-03-2020, 08:07 AM

Interesting thread. I am getting ready to change my will, giving each of my two children $15000 per year for the remainder of their life, paid in one lump sum yearly. After their death, the remaining funds will then be paid to the grandchildren, the same way. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I havent talked with an attorney on this yet as I have an undetermined inheritance coming to me still so really dont know what my total estate might be.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I'm concerned that neither of my kids will be able to afford the great retirement I've had, and I've planned for them to inherit enough to get them to a point where they might just be able to retire in comfort. They both have retirement savings, but are far behind where I was at their ages. Hopefully they will listen to the "free advice" that I've given them about how to handle the money, which is to pay off all non-mortgage debt, then to conservatively invest it all of it in low cost index funds and inexpensive bond funds. It worked for me, and hopefully it will work for them too.
I agree with collie1228. I close on my new house in The Villages in a few weeks, and the only reason I can afford it is because my job came with a great retirement plan in mutual funds that kept on growing. I can live on Social Security and 4% of my retirement funds a year and pay for life in TV for decades. My kids have good educations and are great people, but their jobs don’t come with retirement plans, and they don’t pay very well. I’ll be splitting my funds between them when I go, leaving them each a similar retirement plan, not so they will be rich, but so that they can retire on about as much as they had before they retired. That lets me sleep better, without worrying about their future.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Interesting thread. I am getting ready to change my will, giving each of my two children $15000 per year for the remainder of their life, paid in one lump sum yearly. After their death, the remaining funds will then be paid to the grandchildren, the same way. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I havent talked with an attorney on this yet as I have an undetermined inheritance coming to me still so really dont know what my total estate might be.
Based on your post, I don't think you can accomplish what you want in a will. You will need a trust and a trustee who will manage the money efficiently, and not skim off a lot of management fees, taxes, and other fees. I would evaluate the cost to set up a trust and have it managed for many years. It may not be worth the cost.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
Life Insurance disbursements are tax free. When you pass, your beneficiaries get the cash without the taxes, unlike other inheritances. Plus, there are other benefits to you, as well. Ed Slott explains: CPA Ed Slott on Tax Free Retirement Using Life Insurance - YouTube

Eddie is selling books and seminars.

The IRS exempts estates of less than $11.4 million from the tax in 2019 and $11.58 million in 2020, so few people actually end up paying it. Plus, that exemption is per person, so a married couple could double it. The IRS taxes estates above that threshold at rates of up to 40%.

Married couples with +$20,000,000 are not using insurance to protect a majority of they wealth.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:15 AM

Love it.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:03 PM

Anyone ever willingly gifted their child with a portion of their inheritance while you are still able to watch them enjoy it?
Old 03-04-2020, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wag View Post
years past it was the responsibility of the children to take care of their elderly in society. Today kids are lazy wont work and expect things for nothing.. Screw them I am leaving my ungrateful misguided child nothing!
I'm sorry you have an ungrateful, misguided child, and I'm also sorry you're making a blanket statement about everybody else's kids.

Or maybe you're kidding or trolling.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
I believe you need to speak with an Elder Attorney, this is a good link to Attorneys who practice Elder law here in TV : The Villages, FL Elder Law Firms | Lawyers.com

Before we set up our trust and wills I went to many seminars which were very enlightening on the problems people make for themselves when they try to make their own wills etc. One of the main things which I took home from all of these seminars was only leave your estate to your rightful heirs, i.e. the children of the marriage. The reason being is that should there be a divorce, the -in-law can ask for and receive half of your son's/daughter's inheritance. We were also told not to leave money to grandchildren as it is their parents place to take care of their own children. There are many intricacies to leaving money and a good Elder lawyer will steer you in the right direction.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-04-2020, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I'm sorry you have an ungrateful, misguided child, and I'm also sorry you're making a blanket statement about everybody else's kids.

Or maybe you're kidding or trolling.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wag View Post
years past it was the responsibility of the children to take care of their elderly in society. Today kids are lazy wont work and expect things for nothing.. Screw them I am leaving my ungrateful misguided child nothing!

Sad that you feel this way.

We are believers in unconditional love.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:37 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Sad that you feel this way.

We are believers in unconditional love.
Would that apply to children like these two? Lyle and Erik Menendez - Wikipedia

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-04-2020, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Would that apply to children like these two? Lyle and Erik Menendez - Wikipedia
I agree. To me, the term "unconditional love" does not seem logical. What about accountability?
Old 03-04-2020, 03:51 PM
Platinum member

My children are in their 50s and have made us extremely proud. They are both retired military, one is a combat vet, all their children are college grads with good careers except my youngest grandchild who just got a full ride to a great university. They both married great guys and have successful long-lived marriages. They call us often as do the grandchildren. Of course they will inherit our estate. That doesn't mean we are denying ourselves toys and luxuries in order to provide for them. We all play a role in how our children turn out so if yours is an ungrateful misguided bum, perhaps you should contemplate the guided part of "misguided".

Tags
kids, money, position, leave, leaving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.