Lee Greenwood - God Bless The USA

Closed Thread
Old 01-21-2021, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,308 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
This thread is about more than a song. This thread is about the “cause” that co-opted the song 4 or 5-ish years ago.

Some people here know that. Others could be naive.

When I saw this thread highlighted in the TOTV email this morning, I thought, “Here it goes again. Why can’t I stop looking?”

Was this thread sent out as part the TOTV email notice because of naïveté? This thread is a political dog whistle.

Ironically, there are those among us now who are slinging slurs at other posters, accusing them of being un-American because they do not like this song. But what the attacked posters know is that this song is an anthem for a chunk of one side of the divide.

In this thread and at least one other one this morning, the anger and negativity are palpable. The timing is obvious. The remaining entrenchment is bone-chilling. But I have hope it can lessen for those those who can reclaim their own brains.

America is in a crucible. But Democracy is resilient. I hope. (And I am no commie-pinko, actually a moderate who believes we better get back to who most of us really are. Our dads saved the world. Who would — or could — save us — from ourselves? We better hold on — together.)

This thread is political. Pseudo-patriotic. Manipulative. I just called it out. Made it moreso. I decided it was worth it to shine a little light on the subject at hand. (Why oh why can’t I stop looking?)

Btw, the worst song ever is “MacArthur Park.” I have never figured out whyinthehell somebody would leave a cake out in the rain. Yeah, I know, a metaphor — the worst metaphor ever.

Boomer
100% in agreement. Love the use of song titles throughout your post. Something doesn't add up this morning. Are the golf courses closed ?

Since we are on the song kick I woke up this morning with this song going through my head. Sincerely don't know why it's not a song I normally play or sing very often. One Moment In Time.

One Moment In Time - Dana Winner (live) - English-Vietnamese lyrics - YouTube
Old 01-21-2021, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the memory. Too bad that today this song and this message would most likely be considered racist.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Jennifer Lopez said it all during her vocals at the inauguration:

"Una nación, bajo Dios, indivisible, con libertad y justicia para todos,"
Closed Thread

Tags
lee, greenwood, god, bless, usa

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.