Leesburg Art Festival (Getting Out & About)

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Default Leesburg Art Festival (Getting Out & About)

Driving south on Morse. Headed to Winn-Dixie on a quest for ham. Company arriving tomorrow. But I guess I was not far enough into that full-panic-mode that can come with getting ready for company because I decided we needed to turn left instead of right on 466A. Headed to Leesburg to see what this Art Festival was all about. So glad we did.

It is a real art festival. Not a craft show. (Not that there is anything wrong with a craft show.)

Bought a print from a watercolor artist, Jackii Molsick. When you open the link at the end of this post, you will see the poster she designed to advertise the show. Also bought a copy of her poster.

Gifted painters and jewelry artists and metal sculptors and potters and musicians -- one who was performing and also selling CDs of her Native American Flute music and you could buy an instrument, too. -- Beautiful, relaxing, spiritual sound from those flutes. Must have spoken to that touch of Cherokee in my roots. I bought a CD.

One of the metal sculptors (Roundhouse Sculptures) incorporates parts of musical instruments into his work. Wonderful locomotives with horns as smokestacks. (I think I saw my old silver clarinet in there somewhere.)

Also, down a side street, there is a little store called Pop Vintage. They sell Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. And I think have workshops. That's the paint you can use to give an old piece of furniture a little pizazz with some color. (Some of us are old enough to remember using antiquing kits on our hand-me-down furniture in our first place. I once turned a nice maple bedroom set a shade of 60s olive-minty green. My mother was horrified. I liked it.)

I saw some antiques stores and interesting looking little cafes, too.

And speaking of food -- Waaaaaaay down at the end of the street, there was a food truck. This was not a roach coach. This was a Cousins Maine Lobster truck. Barbara Corcoran invested in them on Shark Tank. This truck was franchised out of Orlando. The website is cousinsmainelobster.com -- Lunch from their truck is not cheap, but it was good.

And afterward we bought ice cream cones from a nice lady who was inside a little house shaped like an ice cream cone. I guess they load it on a truck and go around to fairs and festivals.

The crowd today was not much. That surprised me. It will still be on tomorrow from 10:00 til 5:00. Just go to Leesburg and find Main Street. Parking was really easy as was walking around. A fun afternoon.

And now I had better knock this stuff off and run the sweeper for company.

Oh, and here's the link. I put this in a different thread last night but I had not been there yet. Now I am a legitimate source of information.

Leesburg Center For the Arts, Leesburg, Florida

Artsy-Fartsy Laurie

Last edited by Laurie2; 03-15-2015 at 09:20 AM. Reason: A whoops. Watercolor is one word.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Sage

Nice post - enjoy your company and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 AM

And now that I know about Main St. in Leesburg, we will go back there another day. -- Maybe for lunch, etc. -- Bloom's Baking House and Restaurant looked like it might have possibilities. And there is a new place called SIP that I looked up and found an article about in the Orlando Sentinel.

And who could resist stopping by a place called Two Old Hags Wine Shoppe.

If you plan to go to Main St. someday, it is probably a good idea to look up the days and hours these places are open.

Leesburg is not very far away.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Laurie. I just like you to pieces. You remind me of someone nice I knew some time ago.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:52 AM

Thanks, I was wondering whether we should go!

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 03-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Just got back. A lot of nice art and the like. And it was fun to go off campus and see something new. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Just got back. A lot of nice art and the like. And it was fun to go off campus and see something new. Thanks for the recommendation.
Ditto that. I found 2 great signs for my bar and my wife found the clock she had been looking for.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Platinum member

I got two Asian inspired pieces. nice way to spend the morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.