Leesburg Art Festival (Getting Out & About)

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Default Leesburg Art Festival (Getting Out & About)

Driving south on Morse. Headed to Winn-Dixie on a quest for ham. Company arriving tomorrow. But I guess I was not far enough into that full-panic-mode that can come with getting ready for company because I decided we needed to turn left instead of right on 466A. Headed to Leesburg to see what this Art Festival was all about. So glad we did.

It is a real art festival. Not a craft show. (Not that there is anything wrong with a craft show.)

Bought a print from a watercolor artist, Jackii Molsick. When you open the link at the end of this post, you will see the poster she designed to advertise the show. Also bought a copy of her poster.

Gifted painters and jewelry artists and metal sculptors and potters and musicians -- one who was performing and also selling CDs of her Native American Flute music and you could buy an instrument, too. -- Beautiful, relaxing, spiritual sound from those flutes. Must have spoken to that touch of Cherokee in my roots. I bought a CD.

One of the metal sculptors (Roundhouse Sculptures) incorporates parts of musical instruments into his work. Wonderful locomotives with horns as smokestacks. (I think I saw my old silver clarinet in there somewhere.)

Also, down a side street, there is a little store called Pop Vintage. They sell Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. And I think have workshops. That's the paint you can use to give an old piece of furniture a little pizazz with some color. (Some of us are old enough to remember using antiquing kits on our hand-me-down furniture in our first place. I once turned a nice maple bedroom set a shade of 60s olive-minty green. My mother was horrified. I liked it.)

I saw some antiques stores and interesting looking little cafes, too.

And speaking of food -- Waaaaaaay down at the end of the street, there was a food truck. This was not a roach coach. This was a Cousins Maine Lobster truck. Barbara Corcoran invested in them on Shark Tank. This truck was franchised out of Orlando. The website is cousinsmainelobster.com -- Lunch from their truck is not cheap, but it was good.

And afterward we bought ice cream cones from a nice lady who was inside a little house shaped like an ice cream cone. I guess they load it on a truck and go around to fairs and festivals.

The crowd today was not much. That surprised me. It will still be on tomorrow from 10:00 til 5:00. Just go to Leesburg and find Main Street. Parking was really easy as was walking around. A fun afternoon.

And now I had better knock this stuff off and run the sweeper for company.

Oh, and here's the link. I put this in a different thread last night but I had not been there yet. Now I am a legitimate source of information.

Leesburg Center For the Arts, Leesburg, Florida

Artsy-Fartsy Laurie

Last edited by Laurie2; 03-15-2015 at 09:20 AM. Reason: A whoops. Watercolor is one word.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Sage

Nice post - enjoy your company and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 AM

And now that I know about Main St. in Leesburg, we will go back there another day. -- Maybe for lunch, etc. -- Bloom's Baking House and Restaurant looked like it might have possibilities. And there is a new place called SIP that I looked up and found an article about in the Orlando Sentinel.

And who could resist stopping by a place called Two Old Hags Wine Shoppe.

If you plan to go to Main St. someday, it is probably a good idea to look up the days and hours these places are open.

Leesburg is not very far away.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,601 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Laurie. I just like you to pieces. You remind me of someone nice I knew some time ago.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:52 AM

Thanks, I was wondering whether we should go!

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 03-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Sage

Just got back. A lot of nice art and the like. And it was fun to go off campus and see something new. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Just got back. A lot of nice art and the like. And it was fun to go off campus and see something new. Thanks for the recommendation.
Ditto that. I found 2 great signs for my bar and my wife found the clock she had been looking for.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Gold member

I got two Asian inspired pieces. nice way to spend the morning.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.