Legalized Gun Silencers?

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Eternal Member
Default Legalized Gun Silencers?

An NRA sponsored bill in in Congress that would legalize gun silencers.

Why?

The NRA says it is important to protect the hearing of hunters. Get real, folks! If a hunter wants his hearing protected for the times he goes hunting, buy ear plugs. Lots cheaper!

Silencers would protect domestic abusers and criminals. Prime example is the Villager who shot 32 rounds of ammunition through a neighbor's front door several months ago. Other neighbors heard the shots and called police. If a silencer was used, chances are that no one would have heard a thing and that nut case would not be in jail.

Okay, let's get an honest discussion going here with no political or name calling as to WHY silencers should or should not be legal.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I dunno...silence is golden?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Silencers are not needed
Old 10-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Gold member

Don't know much about hunting gun silencers but...
I do think, a lot of people should be silencer equipped!
Old 10-03-2017, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post

Why?

The NRA says it is important to protect the hearing of hunters. Get real, folks! If a hunter wants his hearing protected for the times he goes hunting, buy ear plugs. Lots cheaper!

Silencers would protect domestic abusers and criminals. Prime example is the Villager who shot 32 rounds of ammunition through a neighbor's front door several months ago. Other neighbors heard the shots and called police. If a silencer was used, chances are that no one would have heard a thing and that nut case would not be in jail.

Okay, let's get an honest discussion going here with no political or name calling as to WHY silencers should or should not be legal.
I do not agree with the law being changed. You can purchase a silencer today if you wish. The only difference is its classified as a Class 3 device. There is a procedure for obtaining a silencer. Keep the law as is currently written. I use ear protectors when I shoot.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Why?

Okay, let's get an honest discussion going here with no political or name calling as to WHY silencers should or should not be legal
I'm actually surprised that the NRA couldn't come up with a better excuse...than supposedly worrying about shooters hearing.

Pretty lame, unoriginal and a transparent attempt at misdirection...if you ask me.

The only reason I can see for supporting this legislation, is to keep sliding down that slippery slope...until there are no restrictions on firearms (or other things like mortars/rocket launchers/flame throwers/etc).

While I own and shoot myself, I am constantly amazed (and concerned) at the glazed look I see in the eyes of some of my friends and acquaintances...when they start talking about their guns.

I personally save that kind of passion and love for my children/grandchildren/relatives...not something designed to kill.

The fact that so many call the capability to shoot full auto as the "happy switch"...pretty much explains it all.

The NRA’s last tweet tells you everything you need to know about what’s wrong with American gun laws – ThinkProgress
Quote:

"Literally, this is the same rifle that the military gets without the full auto happy switch. That's fantastic!"
Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation "Silencers" are already legal.

Quote:

Why?

You mis-state the facts. Suppressors (the legal name - they don't "silence" anything) are already legal. The proposed bill does not "make them legal." What it does do is remove the $200 tax on purchasing one.

The argument in favor of tax-free suppressors for hunters is valid. It has been known since the 1960s that the sound of the muzzle blast of firearms has a cumulative detrimental effect on the hearing of hunters and target shooters.

Wearing ear protection (muffs or earplugs) is practical for target shooting, but impractical for hunters. The main reason is that when hunting game, both seeing and hearing are necessary for the hunter to be effective and safe.

Now, regarding the effectiveness of suppressors:

1. They don't really work on revolvers, regardless of what you see on television. The noise of the blast emerges from the revolvers from the gap between the front of the cylinder and the throat of the barrel.

2. They don't really work on rifles that fire bullets that travel faster than the speed of sound, because the bullet breaking the sound barrier makes a noise of its own. BUT, that sound is not as intense as the muzzle blast, so the suppressor does provide protection for the hunter.

3. Silencers are rarely used in crimes.

ATF: 1.3 Million Silencers in U.S. Rarely Used in Crimes
Only 44 silencer-related crimes each year.

BY: Stephen Gutowski
February 17, 2017 5:00 am

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) released statistics to the Washington Free Beacon on Wednesday showing that the nearly 1.3 million silencers registered in the United States are rarely used in crimes.

"As of 02-03-2017, there are 1,297,670 suppressors registered with ATF under the National Firearms Act," Justice Department spokesman Dillon McConnell told the Free Beacon.

That number is an increase of nearly 400,000 registered silencers since the same time last year, when ATF records indicated there were 902,805 silencers in the country.

The ATF confirmed that silencers are rarely used in crimes despite their explosion in popularity. The agency has only recommended prosecutions for 44 silencer-related crimes per year over the past decade. That means roughly .003 percent of silencers are used in crimes each year. Of those 44 crimes per year, only 6 involved defendants with prior felony convictions.

ATF: 1.3 Million Silencers in U.S. Rarely Used in Crimes

So, there you go. Facts. No name calling. And a reminder that "silencers" are already legal.

Carl in Tampa

Old 10-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Gold member

No such thing as a silencer. It’s a noise suppressor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2017, 05:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

I hunted big game for a lot of years and shot pistol competively. You need ear protection for competive shooting but a suppressor doesn’t do a lot for reducing noise thus the argument that they are needed for hunters is a lot of baloney. PS. My hearing is excellent
Old 10-03-2017, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I think all NRA member should respond the the leadership telling them there is no need for "silencers" to go hunting. I did.

Too many generations of hunters did and do just fine without them.

This one is easy....no politics required except bucking the NRA establishment...a little.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I have never heard of a silencer committing a crime yet.
If anyone has by all means share your knowledge
Old 10-03-2017, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I have never heard of a silencer committing a crime yet.
If anyone has by all means share your knowledge
The NRA still needs to hear from the membership their proposal on silencers is a stupid and unnecessary one.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:20 PM

As stated previously they are legal. The first post implying Congress is about to make them legal is a " strawman " designed to evoke gut emotion during a period of extreme national emotional distress. Suppressors are a tool designed to be used with another tool and nothing more.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:27 PM
Platinum member
Question Why the tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I think all NRA member should respond the the leadership telling them there is no need for "silencers" to go hunting. I did.

Too many generations of hunters did and do just fine without them.

This one is easy....no politics required except bucking the NRA establishment...a little.
In view of the FACT that suppressors are already legal, what is your big objection to removing the tax on them?

Old 10-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Get real. This argument has nothing to do with gun silencers. There is obviously nothing wrong with a silencer and they should not be taxed. It is a political argument by those who want to take away a citizen's right to own a gun. Why not be honest about it? I hate these dishonest, veiled attempts to take away our constitutional rights.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 10-03-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
silencers, heard, protect, hearing, neighbors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.