On The Lighter Side...

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2022, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts
Default On The Lighter Side...

Many good discussions here...but in my not-so-humble opinion, lately they've been trending to the--well--negative.

So, in an attempt to lighten things up a bit...

Many if not most of the people here came of age in the time of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. But Star Trek - the original series was only the first of eventually ELEVEN such series: Star Trek - The Animated Series, Star Trek - The Next Generation, Star Trek - Deep Space Nine, Star Trek - Voyager, Star Trek - Enterprise, Star Trek - Discovery, Star Trek - Picard, Star Trek - Lower Decks (animated), Star Trek - Prodigy (also animated), and Star Trek - Strange New Worlds. The Star Trek phenomenon has become more than just entertainment. It is really something that over the past half-century and more has become part of our culture.

So--two questions:

1) Best series; and 2) best character (best character doesn't necessarily have to be from the best series).

My picks are:

Best series: STAR TREK - ENTERPRISE. This series has been generally looked down on by hardcore Trekkies but I liked it because it was more relatable, in a get-your-hands-dirty kind of way, than any of the other series. Things breaking down, first contact between species that in later series were just taken for granted, etc. Plus it was set closer to our time.

Best Character: T'POL. Probably another strange choice, as I think her character in Star Trek - Enterprise (played by Jolene Blalock) was originally designed more as eye-candy than anything else, but evolved into something much more. I picked her because she essentially played two roles at the same time: a rational, dispassionate Vulcan and a smoking hot woman with emotions and passions bubbling just under the surface. Not easy to do.

Yours?
Old 10-21-2022, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Many good discussions here...but in my not-so-humble opinion, lately they've been trending to the--well--negative.

So, in an attempt to lighten things up a bit...

Many if not most of the people here came of age in the time of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. But Star Trek - the original series was only the first of eventually ELEVEN such series: Star Trek - The Animated Series, Star Trek - The Next Generation, Star Trek - Deep Space Nine, Star Trek - Voyager, Star Trek - Enterprise, Star Trek - Discovery, Star Trek - Picard, Star Trek - Lower Decks (animated), Star Trek - Prodigy (also animated), and Star Trek - Strange New Worlds. The Star Trek phenomenon has become more than just entertainment. It is really something that over the past half-century and more has become part of our culture.

So--two questions:

1) Best series; and 2) best character (best character doesn't necessarily have to be from the best series).

My picks are:

Best series: STAR TREK - ENTERPRISE. This series has been generally looked down on by hardcore Trekkies but I liked it because it was more relatable, in a get-your-hands-dirty kind of way, than any of the other series. Things breaking down, first contact between species that in later series were just taken for granted, etc. Plus it was set closer to our time.

Best Character: T'POL. Probably another strange choice, as I think her character in Star Trek - Enterprise (played by Jolene Blalock) was originally designed more as eye-candy than anything else, but evolved into something much more. I picked her because she essentially played two roles at the same time: a rational, dispassionate Vulcan and a smoking hot woman with emotions and passions bubbling just under the surface. Not easy to do.

Yours?
I agree with both choices.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Have not seen them all but vote for original and next generation
Old 10-21-2022, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

I think I would go with TNG over Enterprise, but only by a slim margin

I also like the choice of T'pol, but I can make a case for "Q" as well.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I think I would go with TNG over Enterprise, but only by a slim margin

I also like the choice of T'pol, but I can make a case for "Q" as well.
TNG was great, and if longevity is any indication, the most successful of all the series.

I enjoyed Q. In a way he was like the T'pol character in reverse, recklessly uncaring for the most part but with a streak of compassion in him that came to the surface from time to time. His interactions with Captain Picard were memorable.
Closed Thread

Tags
star, trek, series, character, animated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.